Author Topic: map: UK train stations + walkable campsites  (Read 2490 times)

map: UK train stations + walkable campsites
« on: 14 December, 2022, 11:01:01 pm »

From Will Petty on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/Microlambert/status/1603051504369532929

Not very seasonal, but I finally got round to making a map of UK train stations + walkable campsites. Shows campsites that are <3km from stations (i.e. basically next door), and 10-20km away (i.e. very roughly a day's walk). Useful? https://felt.com/map/Rail-Hike-Camp-kv9BQ3TnpTvud8TM43gTqpB

Caveat 1: distances are as the crow flies, so do check whether you have to e.g. wade across the Solent. Caveat 2: data is from #OSM, so I have no idea of the quality of these campsites, or indeed whether they even exist (but URLs are provided where they were on OSM)

And if nothing else, you can turn off the campsite layers, and just enjoy a nice map of the trains #trains

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: map: UK train stations + walkable campsites
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2022, 11:32:06 pm »
Cute.  Though I'm unlikely to make much use of it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2022, 09:49:35 am »
I've already spotted one campsite I know of that's not mapped. But useful and interesting, so thanks for posting.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2022, 11:12:47 am »
Ooh I like that. Thanks!

As Cudzo says it's not exhaustive, the one I camped at on the weekend isn't on there. But it's very useful nonetheless.

« Reply #4 on: 16 December, 2022, 02:46:34 pm »
Apparently it's pulling data from Open Street Map. So if something isn't on there, you can add it.

« Reply #5 on: 16 December, 2022, 02:55:20 pm »
Nice idea.
Though would be clearer if it used different icons for stations vs campsites, instead of just dots.