Author Topic: Old style razors  (Read 6375 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: Old style razors
« Reply #25 on: 14 November, 2022, 09:47:46 am »
What he said......^^^

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 14 November, 2022, 09:53:57 am »
I read Samuel Pepys diary a few years back and, as I recall it, he hated the palaver of shaving and took to rubbing his skin with a pumice stone to keep the stubble down.  Haven't tried it myself.
I've read that Roman men used pumice stone to keep their legs smooth.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #27 on: 14 November, 2022, 10:02:03 am »
I tried electric a few times as I always did abhor shaving (solved by breaking the nuptial agreement and growing the BoA). It worked fine but then fifteen minutes later my face looked and felt like it had been sandpapered.

« Reply #28 on: 14 November, 2022, 11:12:52 am »
Are we talking just about use faces - what about legs?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #29 on: 14 November, 2022, 11:22:47 am »
For those of you who miss multi blades but don't want to shell out for cartridges, there is the 'Leaf' razor.  I'm a fan of the Thorn, which copes well with my 'Desperate Dan' facial hair.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #30 on: 15 November, 2022, 09:50:02 am »
I read Samuel Pepys diary a few years back and, as I recall it, he hated the palaver of shaving and took to rubbing his skin with a pumice stone to keep the stubble down.  Haven't tried it myself.
I've read that Roman men used pumice stone to keep their legs smooth.

Evidence from Pompeii?

Sold my grandfather's unused cut throat razor on ebay. I was amazed at the price I got for it, from a London barber.  It was a good German brand, from Solingen ISTR.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #31 on: 19 November, 2022, 03:11:02 pm »
Followed Bledlow's suggestion and the razor arrived yesterday.  I did have a moment of concern where I did consider that a beard was maybe the new look I should go for. 
First use of the DE razor and I got a better shave than with the disposable, face feels less attacked and no cuts to speak of.  Of course now I expect that the next time I shave I will end up with blood all over the walls. (Yes, it does take more time)
The safety razor is a good addition to my fixed gear and my nokia.  Now I'm off to throw a clog into some looms.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #32 on: 26 November, 2022, 02:06:17 pm »
So, quite taken by this.
Any advice on soaps, brushes and shaving bowls?  I am looking for the budget end of "not shit".

« Reply #33 on: 26 November, 2022, 02:11:41 pm »
So, quite taken by this.
Any advice on soaps, brushes and shaving bowls?  I am looking for the budget end of "not shit".

See second half of my post 13 Nov
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #34 on: 26 November, 2022, 02:14:18 pm »
Classic Wilkinson brush is decent and lasts forever.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #35 on: 26 November, 2022, 05:19:45 pm »
I used to use and like Culmark brushes - the ones with the plastic dimple handle. I still have one in the bathroom cupboard. I understand they do a few different types with the same handle but different bristles.  They are at the budget end but good not shit, and used to be available from just about any neighbourhood chemist but I wouldn't know now.  For soap, I started off buying proper shaving soap, either tablet or stick but ended up using hand soap that lathered well.  Because of my reaction to soaps and detergents, I went to using Neutrogena facial bar but it's bloody expensive and if you don't keep it dry, it dissolves away.  Before going electric, I tried a few of the pressurised tins of foams and gels which weren't bad, as I recall - I particularly liked the gels lathered with a brush.  It's about a couple of decades ago now so I'm not up to date.

« Reply #36 on: 26 November, 2022, 06:18:38 pm »
I've shaved with a DE (double edge) razor for quite a while.  I used to use proper shaving soap but then developed a form of dermatitis on my face which itched like mad.  Eventually a doctor recommended industrial quantities of moisturising cream and no soap at all and that sorted the problem but meant no shaving soap.  Eventually I found that a moisturising lotion, Dermal 500 I think it is called, (so basically a runny moisturiser) worked brilliantly, and I actually prefer it to shaving soap.  It leaves the razor a lot cleaner for a start, there is no soap residue to clean off and it gives just as smooth a shave as a good shaving soap.

There is an American website/forum called Badger and Blade which as some useful information on it about shaving soaps, brushes and a whole lot more, but you do need to wade through some of the dross on there as well.  I found one thread where they were discussing which rarors gave a smoother shave: chrome plated zinc alloy; polished stainless steel; matt stainless steel or brass.  Yes, seriously.

« Reply #37 on: 26 November, 2022, 07:30:41 pm »
I've use DE blades in a butterfly style razor since forever, with the same plain bar soap as I use for everything else.

On those very few occasions I've tried a more modern style, the problem has been that the cartridges clog up if I miss Saturday and Sunday, then try to shave as normal on Monday morning.

« Reply #38 on: 26 November, 2022, 07:41:43 pm »
 Proraso cream is very nice but has become quite expensive recently. Shaving bowl can be any small stainless dish really.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: 26 November, 2022, 11:55:27 pm »
I may be failing the “budget” test, but Liz Earle shaving cream and after shave have been doing my apparently too delicate for trad. razors face for years. The cream isn’t stupidly foamy, and the after shave is moisturising without being all about the smell.

« Reply #40 on: 27 November, 2022, 12:09:14 am »
I gave my badger & boar brushes away.  These days I use an Edwin Jagger synthetic Silvertip brush.  Soap or cream is usually Proraso, with fancier types when I want to spoil myself.  L'Occitaine's stuff is very nice.   For travel Boots or Palmolive sticks are good.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #41 on: 27 November, 2022, 12:06:12 pm »
If you get a decent brush get a stand for it as well so it hangs bristles down.  First brush I left upturned and it molted, shedding badger hair everywhere.

ian

« Reply #42 on: 29 November, 2022, 09:08:02 pm »
Proper shavers keep a live badger in the bathroom for the perfect soaping.

« Reply #43 on: 30 November, 2022, 07:41:39 am »
Bought a Henson razor about 4 months ago. Blades that came with it weren't great, but I bought a 3x10 feather blades back and I'm only just finishing the first one.
(I've used quality brush/soap for years)
 Took me a month to get near the speed of the cartridge shave. Closeness of shave is a bit more variable. Some areas are better after one pass, some need 2 (compared to cartridge). Overall it's much more comfortable, but does require a bit more concentration. 
I now have to shave for work every day, but have a cheap electric that will make it 'good enough' on lazy mornings. (And it really isn't that much faster).
No plans to go back to cartridge.

« Reply #44 on: 30 November, 2022, 01:42:30 pm »
Was in Sainsbury's... yesterday to buy a shaving brush and I saw the "new" disposable razors that are marketed as "one blade"...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #45 on: 30 November, 2022, 02:14:22 pm »
Is that a bit like bicycle transmissions? Five, six, seven, eight, nine... Fixie! ...ten, eleven, twelve...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #46 on: 30 November, 2022, 04:10:37 pm »
.. I saw the "new" disposable razors that are marketed as "one blade"...
Like the old Bic razors.

« Reply #47 on: 30 November, 2022, 04:51:41 pm »
Which is mad as the first (re)adopters it seems of safety razors were people looking to reduce waste

« Reply #48 on: 20 April, 2023, 01:37:30 pm »
I have gone through my block of shaving soap from Phoenix and Beau - a bit pricy so I tried some of the cheaper stuff (Erasmic) from Savers which worked but was very syntheticy and not actively nice.  I did an order of some other soaps and currently much happier with Goodfella's Chronos. 
Using basic Gillette blades as I have been using the same pack of blades for about three months now (a blade appears to last at least a month, even with my shaving more often).  The pack of 70 I bought will last me a long time.
The Shaving brush I bough (cheap from t' shops, Wilkinson sword) came apart - the bristles were held together by a lump of plastic that came out of the handle.  Possibly a feature but not one I could figure out so I just glued it back in.

« Reply #49 on: 20 April, 2023, 08:01:28 pm »
Has anyone who has used and liked a decent badger brush tried the Edwin Jagger synthetic ones?