Author Topic: Guilty secret  (Read 2960 times)

Guilty secret
« on: 25 February, 2010, 11:34:09 pm »
On another site, I was reading a thread about '101 places to cycle before you die', and it made me think about where I enjoy cycling most.

Now, 99.something% of my riding is on road. I time trial, commute, do short tours and 'day rides', I haul trailers, ride weird cycling creations (xntrick.co.uk), and cycle for sheer pleasure whenever I have the opportunity.

However, despite all this trundling on tarmac, there is one type of cycling that really pushes my buttons like no other. It is making my pulse race just admitting to it on YACF.

Nothing, but nothing, does it for me like singletrack.  :o

Riding in a group; on narrow, hard packed trail; weaving between trees; riding the berms at a pace you know is almost on your limit is such a rush.  :D

I know I'm not alone. There's a few of us old guys from another forum who get together occasionally and ride Thetford forest trails on quality 'retro' 90's MTBs. There were 25 of us in the snow in January  :o and 22on the February ride in hail & sleet  :o.

MBR magazine came out to the Feb ride and there should be an article on us next month.  :smug:

Anybody else?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Re: Guilty secret
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2010, 06:05:42 am »
Absolutely !

...apart from the fact that it's not a secret, I don't feel guilty about it and it doesn't need to be retro to hit the spot.

The best bits for me are the twisty, turny, undulating, predominantly-downhill-but-not-so-steep-that-you-have-to-drag-your-brakes-the-whole-way sections. 

Being adjacent to a babbling brook gets bonus points for some reason I don't really understand - maybe it helps with the downhillness if done in the correct direction.

I have not done much off-road riding recently as the clay around here gets tedious in the winter.  The big freeze did let me get out onto some of my favourite local trails and I just can't imagine road riding ever making me giggle to myself as much.

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2010, 08:15:06 am »
Absolutely !

Me too.  I haven't had a mountain bike for years, but my first real bike was a MTB and my first proper riding experiences were in the Elan Valley in Mid-Wales.

I'm in the process of building a new MTB now - should be ready by Easter. :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2010, 08:56:58 am »
No need to feel guilty, I'm re-experiencing the joys of MTB on my Rockhopper. It's a different experience from road biking for me and a nice alternative.

bikenerd

« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2010, 08:59:43 am »
Definitely me too.  I only ride my road bike to get fitter so I can enjoy MTBing more! :)

The mud in Oxfordshire and the Chilterns is a bit much at the moment, though.  That's why I have a single speed MTB as well as a geared one!

« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2010, 12:28:20 pm »
Anybody else?

Oh yes.

Most of the time if I go out, it'll be into Sherwood forest.

Yet dispite having a rather nice MTB, I usually go out on my Il pompino.  ???
Don't ask.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:40:38 pm »
I have a MTB and confess to the occasional blat around Brandon Country Park or Thetford Forest.

Great fun, but I always end up with a sore arse :(.
Pen Pusher

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #7 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:43:10 pm »
My most recent acquisition was a full susser but I've only ridden it once coz I fell off on the ice. I'm healed now so hoping to get some rides in soon.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2010, 02:19:14 pm »
And me, though not as often as I would like.  Gave away my old (80s) MTB to my brother when his got nicked, not having ridden it for probably 10 years.  And then thought I'd like to try it again.  So I bought another, and get out into the Chilterns occasionally.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2010, 02:19:08 pm »
I'd really love to do a bit of singletrack and/or cyclocross but I don't know where I can do it round my way.

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but how do I find out?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2010, 02:37:17 pm »
Google mountain biking for your area or buy an OS map and see if there are any wooded bridlepaths. As for cyclecross, the season is over but the BC calendar will have details when it starts again in September.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 09 March, 2010, 02:48:34 pm »
There's a bridlepath through the woods behind my house, but it's always too churned up to be rideable...

It was a bit of a stupid question though - I've just googled and found a nice-looking route that passes very close to home.  :facepalm:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

bikenerd

« Reply #12 on: 09 March, 2010, 04:02:38 pm »
Also, don't necessarily restrict yourself to riding on bridleways.  Contrary to popular belief it is not a criminal offense to ride a bicycle on a footpath (as in a footpath through the countryside, not a footpath by the side of the road - that is illegal to ride on).

It is a contentious issue, though.  The land owner can ask you to stop riding your bike on his or her land and out of courtesy you should.  You cannot be arrested but the land owner can bring a civil case of trespass against you.

Be courteous to other trail users but it is none of their business if you are riding on a footpath or not.  I ride on quite a few footpaths that I never see a soul on.  If you encounter walkers every time you ride a footpath then you probably shouldn't ride it or only ride it early morning / late night.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2010, 11:02:24 am »
I have a MTB and confess to the occasional blat around Brandon Country Park or Thetford Forest.

Great fun, but I always end up with a sore arse :(.

I didn't know you went 'riding' with Greg!  :o

Fnaar! Fnaar!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.