Author Topic: Revisited - Hellfire 600 Perm: 19th & 20th September  (Read 33567 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Revisited - Hellfire 600 Perm: 19th & 20th September
« on: 21 May, 2009, 11:57:33 pm »
Middle-aged, well preserved and well upholstered male cyclist seeks like-minded company on leisurely weekend tour of southern England's tea rooms, convenience stores, A road service stations and bus shelters.

Likes; riding through rainy nights along romantic unlit winding pot-holed country lanes, gut wrenching ascents, white knuckle descents, narrowly avoiding lumps of aggregate and agriculture along the way.

GSOH, NS, financially solvent, has own hair and own teeth (mostly).

Will consider groups.

RSVP

Picture preferrable.

H

N.B. There are no calendar 600s this weekend but there is The Bournemouth Square 200 (a fine ride in its second year) and, I believe, at least one ride in Wales.

Re: Hellfire 600 Perm: 4th & 5th July
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2009, 10:45:43 am »
no, no no

Hummers

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2009, 11:56:24 am »
no, no no

Shall I put you down as a 'maybe' then?

H

Hummers

« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2009, 02:28:47 am »
*bump*

Oh come on now.

It can't be that hard, surely?

If you're at a loose end, why not join me in a little jaunt around the Westcountry.

Hmmmmm?

H

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2009, 09:29:05 am »
*bump*

Oh come on now.

It can't be that hard, surely?

If you're at a loose end, why not join me in a little jaunt around the Westcountry.

Hmmmmm?

H
Sorry
I am painting the guttering

Hummers

« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2009, 11:54:49 am »
Sorry

What on earth is wrong with you all.  ???

A unique opportunity to enjoy the lovely rolling hinterland of the Southwest in fine weather and along quiet, rural lanes is there for the taking.

H

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2009, 12:05:34 pm »
I'm ***curious*** to know the route, if anyone has plotted it onliney.

(Just read PeterM's pithy account - a good read!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2009, 12:25:25 pm »
I'm ***curious*** to know the route, if anyone has plotted it onliney.

(Just read PeterM's pithy account - a good read!)

Peter has done some great write ups of Shawn's series however I advise against plotting it on anything that offers elevation or route profile. I made that mistake with the Hardboiled.

There is normally a guideline route on Shawn's site linked on the AUK Perm event entry.

Shall I put you down as a definite yes? Hmmmmmmmm?

H

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2009, 01:30:52 pm »

There is normally a guideline route on Shawn's site linked on the AUK Perm event entry.

B6 Route
It seems to go a lot of places.  Still I suppose 600 is a lot of km to use up.  I think my favourite placename is "Nunney Catch"

Hummers

« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2009, 02:18:27 pm »

...... I think my favourite placename is "Nunney Catch"

Tor Hole sounds interesting.

H

« Reply #10 on: 12 June, 2009, 03:27:47 pm »

Tor Hole sounds interesting.

H

Here be Bucks...on silly bikes.

« Reply #11 on: 14 June, 2009, 06:25:32 pm »
Sorry

What on earth is wrong with you all.  ???

A unique opportunity to enjoy the lovely rolling hinterland of the Southwest in fine weather and along quiet, rural lanes is there for the taking.

H

It clashes with a very scenic 600 in Wales, as well as the Dun Run.
You could always try another date.
August might be good (but not Mildenhall Rally)

Hummers

« Reply #12 on: 15 June, 2009, 07:22:05 am »
It clashes with a very scenic 600 in Wales, as well as the Dun Run.

You are right, of course.  :-[

You could always try another date.
August might be good ...........

August is out for me. Post LEL, my cycling ambitions will become severely limited after that too.

It's now or never.  :demon:

H

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #13 on: 20 June, 2009, 10:56:08 am »
H,

I'm not going to be able to join you for this one. The exam timetable has just been published and my deferred exam is to be during the following week (rather than the week before LEL as previously suggested) so I need to be revising.  :(

Sorry,

P
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

Hummers

« Reply #14 on: 04 July, 2009, 04:33:23 am »
Farewell cruel world.

I leave the comfort of my bed to face the final challenge of the Wessex SR series: dodging the drunks of Poole on a Friday night to start the Hellfire.

As it happens, I will not be alone.

Oh no.

I have been rather unexpectedly joined for this excursion by Peter Pile, an old time friend I last saw in February.  :-X

I expect he will pop out and make an appearance somehwere up the Cheddar Gorge.  :o

H

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 04 July, 2009, 09:52:37 am »
The weather seems pretty good for Mr Hummerstone, slightly cooler but not raining yet

« Reply #16 on: 04 July, 2009, 10:11:39 am »
Farewell cruel world...
I have been rather unexpectedly joined for this excursion by Peter Pile, an old time friend I last saw in February.  :-X

I expect he will pop out and make an appearance somehwere up the Cheddar Gorge.  :o

H

It's a tough solo ride. I hope this Peter chappie isn't too much of a PITA. I doubt you'll get much conversation out of him.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 04 July, 2009, 12:40:31 pm »
Farewell cruel world...

H

It's a tough solo ride. I hope this Peter chappie isn't too much of a PITA. I doubt you'll get much conversation out of him.
He knows his place.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #18 on: 04 July, 2009, 01:16:08 pm »
Didn't realise Mark was going ahead with this solo - I know others do; but I think they have all ridden it before, with others, so know what to expect! (OK - I know he has company now).
Anyone know what time he was starting? 06:00am? Just thinkingabout a welcome at the end? :thumbsup:
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

Hummers

« Reply #19 on: 05 July, 2009, 07:43:20 am »
Oh dear.

A fail on the first attempt and perhaps a reminder that I still have a lot to learn about this Audax lark. Much respect to Mr Abrahams and his solo antics but I am some way off his mettle.

A cracking route through fantastic scenery and reasonably gentle by Shawn standards (bar Beaminster to Exmouth) - if a little tricky to follow at times.

I made good time to Exmouth (268k) with 4 hours in hand despite feeling off-form all day and a headwind from Codford to the coast. However, I was in a bit of a mess outside Exmouth Tescos and couldn't stop shivering and shaking even though it was 18 degrees. Despite being cooler than earlier in the week (almost ideal), I wasn't getting enough fluid in me and was constantly dehydrated although I was drinking loads between and at controls. Perhaps I was pushing the pace too hard early on when it was hotter- a danger of riding solo.

I am sure that if I had not been on my tod or had been on my usual form I would have finished but didn't fancy the night section feeling bloody rough with no company, a route sheet that at times was at odds with reality and the prospect of trying to find shelter in the middle of nowhere north of Cheddar.

There was also the fear that if I pushed on, I would wipe myself out for LEL.

Note to self: solo 600s are tough and maybe I am not as tough as I think I am. Still, I am determined to have another go at this one before the season ends.

H

« Reply #20 on: 05 July, 2009, 07:54:29 am »

That looks a well-judged strategic withdrawal.

I'll try and watch you pass through the hilly part near here (Bradford on Avon) on your next attempt - I was regretting not being able to be out there this morning.

Chris S

« Reply #21 on: 05 July, 2009, 08:46:56 am »
I packed a solo (ish - was supposed to hook up with the Dun Run) 400 yesterday after 100km. Experience gives you The Knowledge. You just know when to pack, because you can tell the difference between a bad patch, and a ride where the Cyclist Inside has taken the day off.

Good call by both of us I think...

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #22 on: 05 July, 2009, 09:29:04 am »
Yesterday on the Clawdd Offa my bike packed so I didn't have to  :).

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 05 July, 2009, 09:42:13 am »
I've never packed (although would have done so on PBP had it not been PBP); a lot of it is knowing at the start whether you think you can do it or not, if you are not on tip top fitness it's always going to be hard. Tactical and sensible withdrawal in both cases Chris and H I think  :)

To an extent the Long Distance Cyclist Inside me retired on 24.8.07; I've enjoyed 2 3 and 400s much much more since then. Even then 200 is my sensible limit for me for a solo perm.

« Reply #24 on: 05 July, 2009, 06:35:45 pm »
Mark
Good on you for trying; as I said, didn't know you'd planned a solo - have been thinking of you; last night's full moon but it seemed very cold; and today - only just home but wondering whether there would be a posting to say your ETA. As you know, Ray, Pete M and I packed last year. I packed after Shrewton at 1:00am on my solo Porkers attempt.

Plenty of time after LEL - or you could always ride the whole series again next year  ;D

Cya soon. And b..... well done for making the right decision!
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.