Author Topic: London isn't Working  (Read 9066 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

London isn't Working
« on: 15 July, 2008, 02:27:19 pm »
So says Banksy, and I agree...

I still don't really 'get' London. I figure it's a love it or hate it kinda place, and I've got friends who are constantly telling me I should move there. Er... No. Thanks. Pretty much like it where I am. Edinburgh might not be the friendliest place in the world, but....

Still, there were nice bits of the recent visit.

Cycling in London for the first time was an experience, and with most of the media based down there I can see where the hatred of cyclists can come from! Mind you, the cars aren't much better and pass really close a lot more often. motorcyclists also pass closer than anywhere else I've ridden. Most frustrating was having to stop so often to check the map - I'd get a rough bearing, ride off for a couple of miles, stop and get another bearing, repeat ad nauseum.

Noisy, busy, expensive, rude. Once a year is quite enough for me (it's saved by there being some lovely people there that I know and want to see - though there will be more invites to come up here!).

Aye right...

Julian

• samoture
Re: London isn't Working
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:30:21 pm »
Fabulous photos, blackpud.  :D

Got to disagree about London though.  It's not busy, noisy and rude, it's vibrant.

Expensive I'll grant you, though.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:31:35 pm »
Nice pictures BP.

Nice to meet you and Woolly too.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:35:48 pm »
Nice pictures BP.

Nice to meet you and Woolly too.

I would have met you 20 minutes earlier but for that method of picking my way across London with the map. Glad I got there in time though!

More pics here of the trip for those remotely interested.

Fabulous photos, blackpud.  :D

Got to disagree about London though.  It's not busy, noisy and rude, it's vibrant.

Expensive I'll grant you, though.

One man's vibrancy is another man's..... One thing I did like was getting to places I'd never been before, I mean save for having friends living in Rotherhithe (it's their cat) why would I ever go there?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:44:44 pm »
Is that sculpture meant to look like a c**k and balls?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2008, 02:59:05 pm »
Yes.  It's a shiny willy giving you the finger.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2008, 03:15:15 pm »
Right  >:( Cold bucket of water for Liz please  >:(
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2008, 03:17:56 pm »

That's Docklands for you.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2008, 05:40:16 pm »
Noisy + busy + expensive + rude = London.

Yup.

But also

Where the work is + where Butterfly lives = London too.
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2008, 05:52:33 pm »

Yep

I'd not live there.  I worked there for a few years but I commuted in from a Nice Place with a great community spirit

Right now I can look out of my office window and see this

or I can get on a bike and be in that landscape in 30 seconds

Really Ancien

« Reply #10 on: 15 July, 2008, 06:02:48 pm »
That Leylandii spoiling the view on the right would get on my nerves after a while. Any chance of felling it.

Damon.

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 15 July, 2008, 06:27:23 pm »
:)

Only if we bought that farm.  It's taken from just up the hill from us.    Nice place, but my ambition is to be able to ride up to it on a 56" fixed.   So far it defeats me.

Martin

« Reply #12 on: 15 July, 2008, 06:45:36 pm »

Yep

I'd not live there.  I worked there for a few years but I commuted in from a Nice Place with a great community spirit

I can get on my bike after work in London and be in something almost as good as that in 30 mins (approx.. )

London's a great place but it's nice to leave it to go home
BP; is that the IWM? looks really cool, must visit Hendon too (that's the big problem when you work there and have to take kids to hospital there; doing it for pleasure jst seems a chore  :( and it shouldn't be)

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #13 on: 15 July, 2008, 07:24:39 pm »

Yep

I can get on my bike after work in London and be in something almost as good as that in 30 mins (approx.. )

London's a great place but it's nice to leave it to go home
BP; is that the IWM? looks really cool, must visit Hendon too (that's the big problem when you work there and have to take kids to hospital there; doing it for pleasure jst seems a chore  :( and it shouldn't be)

Yep, tis IWM. Much bigger than we expected and in the end annoyed we didn't get to spend more time there!

« Reply #14 on: 15 July, 2008, 10:44:12 pm »

The same could be said about a Rafflesia in bloom.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:06:39 am »
As I found out before on this forum, Londoners think that snot is naturally black.

Turning snot black overrides any positives in my book.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #16 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:10:41 am »
I agree. It's dirty,and noisy, the people are rude and everything is expensive.

Can't see why people like London. I'm always glad to get out.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #17 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:20:18 am »
We visited friends in London about five years ago and had a great time. We are going again later this year I hope. I think that is probably about the right frequency for me.

« Reply #18 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:31:08 am »

That's exactly what I thought it was supposed to look like, and that sums up London completely.  It's all complete cock and I cannot understand the like that people have for it.

The best thing about London, when you look at a map, is that all Train lines and road systems head AWAY from it. Coincidence? I think not.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:33:14 am »
Londonton is the business.  We have the Underground Railing-Way, electric lights and the 12 Bar Club.  Everywhere else is full of murderers called Jethro, and things that bite.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #20 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:34:14 am »

That's exactly what I thought it was supposed to look like, and that sums up London completely.  It's all complete cock and I cannot understand the like that people have for it.

The best thing about London, when you look at a map, is that all Train lines and road systems head AWAY from it. Coincidence? I think not.

I was wondering how long it would be before you found this thread mr nut, it was written with you partially in mind!

As I found out before on this forum, Londoners think that snot is naturally black.

Turning snot black overrides any positives in my book.

That and feeling like you need a shower every couple of hours and it plays havoc with contact lenses....

« Reply #21 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:36:38 am »
I like being in London (apart from the snot), but it's nice to have the weekday cottage as well.

« Reply #22 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:39:21 am »
I was wondering how long it would be before you found this thread mr nut, it was written with you partially in mind!

:-[

Sorry - been really manic at work.  Only popped in here for a quick relief.   Usual service might return later.

(in the meantime...   london trains iPod etc.)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:44:27 am »
Londonton is the business.  We have the Underground Railing-Way, electric lights and the 12 Bar Club.  Everywhere else is full of murderers called Jethro, and things that bite.

My Mum told me that people who live outside the M25 eat their own babies.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #24 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:46:17 am »

:-[

Sorry - been really manic at work.  Only popped in here for a quick relief.   Usual service might return later.

(in the meantime...   london trains iPod etc.)

;D ;D ;D