Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576316 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #950 on: 31 October, 2011, 06:47:52 am »
I ache. All over. I hate audaxing on Sundays, it always leaves you needing another day of the weekend. That, and everything is shut early and you end up spending the long dark teatime of the soul that is the wintery Sunday afternoon slogging round the latter stages wishing it was over, instead of basking in the warmth of a log fire, toasting crumpets.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #951 on: 31 October, 2011, 07:29:06 pm »
Online banking.  The Natwest flavour I can cope with, as that's where my credit card and current accounts are, so I log in on a regular enough basis that I can perform the required memory and mental agility tests without thinking.

The Nationwide ones, on the other hand, I only need to log into every n months, where n is about two weeks longer than it takes to forget one piece of security data.  Added annoyances like mouse-intensive login procedures to thwart keyloggers compound the irritation.

And the password rules are such that I can't just set everything to "correct horse battery staple".

Gah!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #952 on: 31 October, 2011, 09:37:55 pm »
Kim.  I first read that as "on line baking" Which both surprised and intrigued me.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #953 on: 31 October, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »
That's CrinklyLion's department.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #954 on: 01 November, 2011, 02:29:50 pm »
They have replaced hard-copy payslips with some on-line bobbins which, to add insult to basic cockery, only jbexeth with IE.  If you don't log in at least every thirty days, your account is killed to DETH and you can't book holibobs any more either.  How long are some months?

See my case, over there? :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #955 on: 01 November, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »
Thinking join-up FAIL!

LindaG

« Reply #956 on: 01 November, 2011, 03:29:04 pm »
How can it take A MONTH for my union rep to set up a meeting with my boss?  I would've quite happily done it myself but she insisted she should do it.  And in the meantime I'm getting more and more tired and frustrated.  Ah, well, at least my solicitor is setting up some CBT for me.  Assessment appointment Monday.  It's nine months now.  Nine months and I'm still in pain.  Ah, well.  Could be a lot worse.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #957 on: 01 November, 2011, 03:41:39 pm »
Oooh. That reminds me ... I need to light a fire under the lawyers who are supposed to be dealing with my accident compensation claim. I also need to take great care to do it in a metaphorical sense, rather than an combustible sense, no matter how tempting it seems.

Maybe I can use my change in circumstances to convince them to get their collective arses into gear.

LindaG

« Reply #958 on: 01 November, 2011, 03:43:21 pm »
Oooh. That reminds me ... I need to light a fire under the lawyers who are supposed to be dealing with my accident compensation claim.

Maybe I can use my change in circumstances to convince them to get their collective arses into gear.

Good luck with that IZ, be nice to have things sorted by Christmas eh?  What do you reckon our chances are?   ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #959 on: 01 November, 2011, 03:46:09 pm »
Oooh. That reminds me ... I need to light a fire under the lawyers who are supposed to be dealing with my accident compensation claim.

Good luck with that IZ, be nice to have things sorted by Christmas eh?  What do you reckon our chances are?   ;D
Dunno your exact circumstances, but for myself I reckon that after nearly 11 months, various bits of physiotherapy, more painkillers than the mind can comfortably conceive plus a couple of MRI scans thrown in for good measure I should have had a result by now.

In fact, I reckon I should have had a result six sodding months ago, especially as it was a no-fault claim and the other side admitted liability pretty much straight away.

On my signal, unleash hell ....

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #960 on: 02 November, 2011, 02:56:56 pm »
O hai Harlot Council!

There is no need to turn streetlights on when it's bright and sunny.

kthxbai

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #961 on: 03 November, 2011, 10:30:32 am »
Dear BBC London.  There is something Wrong with the sound on your News, Travel & Weather spot during BBC Breakfast.  On Tuesday the lovely Victoria Hollins was inaudible; yesterday she was shouting loud enough to shake the walls.  Today the almost but not quite as lovely Katherine Carpenter was equally shouty.  Sort it out, you manky old twunts.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #962 on: 03 November, 2011, 12:44:52 pm »
Off-shore computer whallers.

STOP using LPAR when you mean VM.

It's easy enough to remember, ok?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #963 on: 03 November, 2011, 01:17:22 pm »
"David Johnson" (presumably) of Bangalore: When you're rumbled, as you were today, just hang up, eh?! Trying to justify your chicanery by giving me a history lesson on Anglo-Indian relations isn't going to stop me laughing at you.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #964 on: 03 November, 2011, 01:43:09 pm »
[Delayed grumble]

Bar Staff,

If I am at the bar with mate A, who is just another regular joe like me, and either one of us asks for 'two pints of $beer please' what do you do? Yes, that is correct - you pour and serve two pints of $beer.

However, if I am at the bar with mate B, who is [que shock and/or horror] a woman, and either of us asks for 'two pints of $beer please' what do you do? Yup, immidiately look at her [mouth agape, or not, it seems to be a little random] and say any of the following 'Is that a half?', 'Two pints?', *pour one pint and place infront of me* 'Was that a half?', 'You want a half, yeah?', 'Did you mean a half and a pint, or two pints?'. >:(

If we ask, quite plainly, for two pints... that is what we want! I'm sure that if you ask TimO, he will be able to confirm what this particular operation isn't.

[/Delayed grumble]
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #965 on: 03 November, 2011, 04:11:52 pm »
On account of being an infrequent frequenter of drinking establishments (and many of those being the sort where the consumption of pints by women is far from unusual) that's a phenomenon that I've only had cause to observe on a handful of occasions in the wild.  However, I believe that Julian is a highly qualified expert on the above rant and in exchange for an even number of halves of Crusty Beer - served together in pint glasses, of course - may be persuaded to perform it with all her trademark finesse.

:D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #966 on: 03 November, 2011, 04:39:33 pm »
"Glasses" would be my rant to that.

Back a few aeons I briefly had a job in a pub. Sometimes customers would ask for "a glass of beer" and for some of them this meant a half, for others it meant a pint, for others again it meant a particular shape of drinking vessel (with handle, without handle, dimpled, whatever). And there were also women who would ask for "a beer" and you'd ask if they wanted a pint or a half, they would act astounded that they could have meant anything other than a half. Cos ladies don't drink pints. Except in glasses.

So it's hard to win that one. Still, there's no need to lose quite so spectacularly!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #967 on: 03 November, 2011, 04:57:43 pm »
When I worked in a pub, beer glasses were that jug sort.  When asked for a pint and a half we were supposed to ask if they wanted a "lady's glass". 
We were on a hiding to nothing really.
Ah, the 70s.  A different country.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #968 on: 03 November, 2011, 05:05:24 pm »
I've bought many rounds, and been present at the buying of many more, and I don't think I've ever noticed a bar person querying a pint order for me, except on a few occasions where it's been very noisy, or the person ordering has dithered and not been terribly clear....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #969 on: 03 November, 2011, 06:55:39 pm »
I'll have a pint as well, thanks.   :P
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #970 on: 03 November, 2011, 07:52:49 pm »
I don't drink pints, as I am a laydee.

And I don't like beer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #971 on: 03 November, 2011, 08:28:32 pm »
I asked for a pint of Diet Coke at some nightclub once. I was refused.
I was Not Impressed.

« Reply #972 on: 03 November, 2011, 08:45:24 pm »
People for whom I am babysitting: Yes, it is very clever to have a massively complex tv system, but excessively useless if it isn't possible for a normal person to make it make NOISE. I can't even listen to the radio on it which is what I normally do when babysitting, not being that interested in pictures. >:( Furthermore, if you can't sort the TV out, you could at least leave me the code for the wifi, so I don't have to use my vodafone wireless broadband which is distinctly slower than a slow thing, half the time. >:(
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #973 on: 03 November, 2011, 09:55:07 pm »
^in addition, I notice from the incumbent nanny's notes that she told you ages ago that the heating wasn't working, so how come I'm sitting here in the cold, 2 weeks later?

*Edit - it's just got better, the big fluffy cat has found me and is doing a sterling hot water bottle impersonation :)*
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #974 on: 03 November, 2011, 10:03:43 pm »
Perhaps they've turned the TV, wifi and heating off so that they can afford a nanny, a babysitter and a cat?  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.