Author Topic: I could have commuted in today but...  (Read 99962 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: I could have commuted in today but...
« Reply #125 on: 11 January, 2011, 09:57:36 pm »
My commuting bike needs a new hub and I have no money for new one until my birthday in April.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #126 on: 11 January, 2011, 09:58:08 pm »
I'm just lazy  ;D

Gaz

« Reply #127 on: 12 January, 2011, 12:54:30 pm »
I went to the doctors before work and it was easier to get the train after that.
Follow me on Twitter
My Youtube Channel - Urban Cycling - Dangerous driving and cycling.

« Reply #128 on: 12 January, 2011, 01:40:53 pm »
I spent some Christmas money on Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and keep losing track of time when playing it. Or not so much losing track of time as thinking "I should go to bed, but I'll just complete this mission." "I should have gone to bed half an hour ago, but I've just unlocked a new area so I'll explore it first." "I should have gone to bed an hour ago, but I've found some new assassinations to do..."

...and so on. And when one isn't going to bed until 1:30, it's jolly hard to get up and on the bike when the alarm goes at 6:55.  :-[
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #129 on: 12 January, 2011, 01:49:49 pm »
...I was going to go for a lunchtime run.  Yeah, that worked out.  >:(
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #130 on: 12 January, 2011, 02:54:03 pm »
...I was going to go for a lunchtime run.  Yeah, that worked out.  >:(
Drove in again today out of sheer laziness, and now it's looking like the car will have to be written off.

Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.

« Reply #131 on: 14 January, 2011, 08:50:25 am »
That must have been some drive. Everyone ok?

Got my gimpy bike wear on, junk in saddlebag. Rear tyre a bit flat. Oh, it's just that slow leak. Pump up tyre. No it bloody isn't, the air is gushing out. No spare tube and I'm already running late. bugger, train again today.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #132 on: 14 January, 2011, 09:19:32 am »
That must have been some drive. Everyone ok?
Yeah - the other driver was a 90 year old woman who was more concerned about her hairdresser's appointment - seemed to have no idea that the broken double lines on the road mean 'give way', not 'pull out into the side of the car that is now almost directly in front of you' (I did the math ... that's a physics background for ya ;) ). Her car has a broken headlight, mine had a bent A-pillar the passenger side door caved in - 10 year old car, so it doesn't take a genius to work out that I'll not be seeing it again. Since it was my first car, and I'm a sentimental old fool, the front number plate now lives behind my desk :)

As a mate of mine on Facebook pointed out, "at least you weren't on your bike" - he has a point, if I was I'd have been axle dressing.

Just got all the insurance related stuff to deal with now, but on the plus side I have enough of a budget to buy something which has a bit more grunt and is capable of carrying me, girlfriend and/or bikes in comfort.

I got lycra'd up yesterday and rode to work, mainly because I had to go via the garage to take the roof bars and bike rack off the car and pick up a few miscellaneous odds and sods (like the new CD I realised was in the player ...). Felt like an absolute wreck when I got to work - being shunted sideways across the road has evidently aggravated my back. Again.

« Reply #133 on: 14 January, 2011, 09:31:44 am »
Side impacts aren't good for backs.  Hope it's just a minor twinge.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #134 on: 14 January, 2011, 09:50:03 am »
Side impacts aren't good for backs.  Hope it's just a minor twinge.
Going to the doc's on Tuesday - I had a back spasm last week (unrelated to accident) and want to factor out the after effects of that (and yesterday's ride :) ) before I go down the personal injury claim route, which I don't really want to do, but ... <insert moral dilemma here>

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #135 on: 14 January, 2011, 09:52:41 am »
I should commuted today. But I couldn't drag myself out of my nice warm bed early enough to get ready for the 7   or 8 miles - well not early enough to do it before the road gets unpleasant. Karma has already paid me back for my laziness, as  the bus didn't show so I'm going to be very late to site.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #136 on: 14 January, 2011, 10:18:35 am »
As a mate of mine on Facebook pointed out, "at least you weren't on your bike" - he has a point, if I was I'd have been axle dressing.

Nah.  You'd have used your ninja madskillz to avoid the impact. ;)
Getting there...

LindaG

« Reply #137 on: 26 January, 2011, 07:20:35 am »
I'm not going to work.

SMIDSY'd on the way home last night.  A bit hurty and teary this morning.  I feel a day off is in order.

The bike is broken, apparently.  My new Pompino  :'(  but I haven't seen it yet.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #138 on: 26 January, 2011, 07:23:24 am »
 :o

GWS!

« Reply #139 on: 26 January, 2011, 07:31:43 am »
 >:(

GWS, what happened?

LindaG

« Reply #140 on: 26 January, 2011, 07:40:37 am »
Riding home from work across a T junction.  I had right of way.  The driver drove into my right side, I was hit by the bumper, went across the bonnet, and seem to have landed on my face.  Which hurts.  I don't remember any of it.  I do remember lying with my face in the road, and some kind passers-by looking after me.  It wasn't very nice but I think I'm okay.  Two hours in hospital getting cleaned up and giving a police statement.  They glued my ear and my eyebrow.

I think I may have gone a bit ranty in the ambulance  :-[

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #141 on: 26 January, 2011, 07:49:12 am »
Oh crap.   :(

Bad luck.

GWS
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #142 on: 26 January, 2011, 08:00:11 am »
damn,blast & all the sweary words you can think of.
LG that,s really  really bad news.
I hope you start getting better immediatley & very quickly completly.Bad news about the bike BUT the truly important issue is that you are walking wounded & nothiong worse.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #143 on: 26 January, 2011, 08:09:07 am »
Bad news..
Get well soon Linda.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #144 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:07:37 am »
Get well soon Linda.

I could have commuted in today, but... I'm all full of man flu so I'm staying in bed instead. Pah.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #145 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:13:00 am »
Oh flower! :(

Hope you GWS.  You're right to take the time out to get yourself right.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #146 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:38:58 am »
Ack, that sucks.  Nothing you can do about idiots like that, beyond making sure they're charged after the event.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Rimnod

« Reply #147 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:46:18 am »
Just to tired.

« Reply #148 on: 26 January, 2011, 01:24:23 pm »
Just seen this - that's terrible news.

Get well soon.

The important thing is that you are (relatively speaking) ok. Bikes, even pompinos,  can be replaced. You can't...

Take care - I just hope that things arn't too painful.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #149 on: 26 January, 2011, 01:27:43 pm »
hell's teeth Linda...

GWS, give me a shout if you want to borrow the POS fixie, I don't need after the end of the week...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State