Author Topic: Conspicuous consumption  (Read 2235 times)

steveB

Conspicuous consumption
« on: 27 April, 2008, 12:36:45 pm »
As we drag our old TK Maxx suitcases out from the eves to pack I thought maybe we should have replaced them with something a bit smarter, quickly followed by the thought, whatever for? they ain't broke.  They would have only been replaced by something cheapo anyway.  Then for some reason thoughts turned to Louis Viutton luggage - who would/could possibly judge someone by their luggage?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Conspicuous consumption
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2008, 12:39:30 pm »
Then for some reason thoughts turned to Louis Viutton luggage - who would/could possibly judge someone by their luggage?

Probably the sort of person who buys "that sort of thing"

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2008, 12:44:17 pm »
There's an article in the Sunday Telegraph today about how the middle classes have started shopping at Lidl.

They're drawn in by the cheap parmesan and olive oil, but stay for the bargain frozen lobster and pheasant.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/27/nlidl127.xml

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2008, 12:53:06 pm »
Well I got some jolly good smoked salmon on special offer at Waitrose this morning, and the bagged apples were on a bogof.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

steveB

« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2008, 01:15:58 pm »
There's an article in the Sunday Telegraph today about how the middle classes have started shopping at Lidl.

They're drawn in by the cheap parmesan and olive oil

Interesting article.  The cheap Parmesan and olive oil were what attracted us to use it occasionally - definitely not middle class though.

If they start selling Cristal champagne, will the prem footie players start buying their boots there?

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2008, 04:06:23 pm »
I absolutely love Lidl (and Aldi).  I've been shopping there for years, when I could easily afford to frequent more 'upmarket' retailers.  I think it's like going to a supermarket when you're abroad.

Really Ancien

« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2008, 04:21:45 pm »
Moneysavingexpert have a comparison table for Aldi Lidl Netto http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/are-cheap-supermarkets-good
I agree with a lot of it, the cloudy apple juice, meusli, chocolate, the cooked meats and the household cleaning products are all good at Lidl. Heather just came back with a pair of binoculars for £5.99

Damon.

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 27 April, 2008, 04:42:50 pm »
My Mum has shares in Lidl*; she won't set foot in Tesco or Sainsbury's.

of course much of her shopping bill savings then get frittered on the weekly non-food "special offers"

* edit; and Wilkinson's

Mrs Zoom hates the place; "if the food is that cheap it must be much less healthy and have more additives in than Sainsbury's" yeah right

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2008, 07:14:09 pm »
I've bought all my clothes in charity shops for years.  I've also, fatally, just discovered Freecycle.  Have got rid of a load of things from the shed, and, today, collected my first 'win' - a decent chair for my desk  :thumbsup:

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:12:58 pm »
We don't have any of the cheapo foreign supermarkets especially near us.  Anyway, I assume they screw their suppliers even more than Tesco and Sainsbury's.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:18:54 pm »
Lidl in Germany were accused of spying on their employees. However they do some fairtrade items...