Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 508017 times)

ian

I've not seen a tin of tomatoes for weeks. They had a bottle of passata but it's too wishy-washy for me. Fortunately plenty of fresh tomatoes, so spaghetti bolognese is still on the menu.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We haven't yet finished the bolognese David made a few days ago. We are out of tinned tomatoes. I'll send D foraging some time.
No imminent rush.

Our Tesco delivery was also short of tinned tomatoes (we get the ready chopped ones).
Also missing were some potatoes and one of the dozen bottles of beer I ordered (but I was expecting a problem, which is why there were a dozen to start with--they won't go off before I can drink them).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsburys: your 'Passover' groceries really lack Clue.

Wheat noodles FFS!

Could Do Better!

I have gaslighted my partner into accepting that the normal individual serving of Walnut Whips is 3.

Phil W

In this panic buying pandemic, Easter Egg availability remains excellent.

ian

Yeah, but they make a terrible cheese and ham omelette.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
In this panic buying pandemic, Easter Egg availability remains excellent.

Sainsbury's did not have my Lindt milk chocolate Easter Bunny  :'( :'( :'(
They had the dark chocolate one though. :)

Sainsbury's delivered ALL the fresh fruit & veg I ordered but around half of the meat & fish.

Was dreading our usual trip to Waitrose tomorrow, but we received an email from John Lewis saying, amongst other matters, that from tomorrow the first hour is going to be reserved for the vulnerables; I might get away with that  :)

I thought they opened at 8.30, but checked and it's 7.00  :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Early to rise and early to bed
Makes a man healthy, wealthy and dead...

Made it for 7.00, shop already busy, they must have opened early. Hardly any veg, got the last eggs, still no flour or yeast.

Dropped into the nearby Co-op, no veg at all there.

We get a weekly delivery of veg from Riverford, but unable to sign on to their website at present to add extra items to our standing order.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Was dreading our usual trip to Waitrose tomorrow, but we received an email from John Lewis saying, amongst other matters, that from tomorrow the first hour is going to be reserved for the vulnerables; I might get away with that  :)

I thought they opened at 8.30, but checked and it's 7.00  :(

Chum's local Asda has an early elderly hour too, but Scottish licensing laws mean that he can't get into the booze section. Poor lad is distraught.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
still no flour or yeast.

I was in Tesco just after it opened at 6 this morning - managed to get some flour. So relieved - I was down to the last half-loaf in the freezer. Wooo!

All my baking is sourdough so not affected by a lack of yeast.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

If surviving our horrible dystopian future involves getting up that early, I'm accepting my fate now.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
If surviving our horrible dystopian future involves getting up that early, I'm accepting my fate now.

Ha! I'm usually up at that time anyway. In fact, I used to prefer going shopping at stupid o'clock even before it was fashionable - gets it out of the way before the day starts, the aisles are empty and the shelves full. Just a shame the last two of those no longer apply.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

6 this morning at my local Tesco....

( I didn't need anything having found eggs at a local store, so didn't go in) the queue goes around the corner

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Friends are Facebooking foods that ARE available, like greatly reduced goats' cheese and hipster goodies.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Paging all greatly-reduced goats...

IGMC

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
I have some pork belly slices languishing in my freezer, bought a few weeks back from the yellow sicker section.

I thought I'd cook them, so started looking up recipes and found this:

Pork belly strips: They are about 1/2-inch thick, and each of them weighs about 4 oz when raw.

Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
How does that work then?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Edd

I have two pigs trotters in the freezer I got from Mozzers ages ago (reduced to 10p). Nows probably the time I should probably get round to finding out what I can do with them

Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
How does that work then?
Kosher salt (or sea salt--I can't remember if they are exactly the same) do not taste as salty as table salt.
I don't know why, but assume it's something to do with the crystal size.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I have two pigs trotters in the freezer I got from Mozzers ages ago (reduced to 10p). Nows probably the time I should probably get round to finding out what I can do with them

This fellow quotes Elizabeth David's recipe for handling breast of lamb. She adapted it from a recipe for trotters.

https://www.tomdoorley.com/recipe-of-the-week/g7vevs18yvumvbghlz3uljfq09jkus

I have done this with breast of lamb, and eaten pigs' feet in Ste. Ménéhould.  Lamb: 10/10, feet: 7/10.  Something to be tried, though.

Any Belfastians remember Hugh Gemmell's butchery on the Newtownards Rd (or was it the Albert Bridge Rd?)  He used to put readable-from-bus poems in his window enjoining people to eat his feet.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
PS the lamb recipe would work on pork belly, too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I have some pork belly slices languishing in my freezer, bought a few weeks back from the yellow sicker section.

I thought I'd cook them, so started looking up recipes and found this:

Pork belly strips: They are about 1/2-inch thick, and each of them weighs about 4 oz when raw.

How does that work then?

ALL pure salt is Kosher per se.

KosherING salt is coarse-grained, like dishwasher salt.

Kosher meat needs to be salted before consumption, after slaughter, to make it kosher to eat.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
How does that work then?
Kosher salt (or sea salt--I can't remember if they are exactly the same) do not taste as salty as table salt.
I don't know why, but assume it's something to do with the crystal size.

Is correct; see above.