Author Topic: Vuelta 2013  (Read 4628 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Vuelta 2013
« Reply #25 on: 15 September, 2013, 10:41:59 pm »
Amazing (= ludicrous) performance. Not surprised people aren't that interested.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #26 on: 15 September, 2013, 11:46:19 pm »
It was a hell of a ride. Was it real and unassisted? Well, the drug screening is supposed to be a lot better now than it ever was, but I was disappointed by Horner's reaction to the obviously-loaded question of what the spectators should thnk of it. Instead of a passionate defence of his drug-free status (as per Frome or Wiggins), he simply stated that the TV audience should remember what an amazing performance they'd just seen, and how they may never see its like again. I hope he's clean, but I don't like his attitude and I have serious doubts. None of which, of course, I can substantiate.

Toady

« Reply #27 on: 16 September, 2013, 09:59:41 am »
Jens Voight and Liggett formed an interesting duo.  Jens was completely ignoring wittering Phil, and concentrating on the race.  While this is quite a sensible thing to do, it did lead to some odd exchanges, along the lines of:  PL:"You never rode the Vuelta Jens, why was that?"  (pause) JV:"They must have given him energy drink instead of water, or maybe the other way round."

« Reply #28 on: 16 September, 2013, 03:09:44 pm »
I loved the look on Jens Voigt's face when Gary Imlach, after specifically asking him on his first appearance how to pronounce his surname, proceeded on every occasion to say 'Voyt'.
Working my way up to inferior.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 16 September, 2013, 04:20:28 pm »
I loved the look on Jens Voigt's face when Gary Imlach, after specifically asking him on his first appearance how to pronounce his surname, proceeded on every occasion to say 'Voyt'.
My anglophone ears couldn't pick up what Jens was saying :( So although I know I'm saying it wrong, all I can ask is:
How should I be pronouncing "Voyt" ?!?

(If anything, it sounded like Vocked. Sort of.)

[The even greater stupidity was deleting that recording  :facepalm: ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #30 on: 16 September, 2013, 04:47:55 pm »
I didn't hear Jens's explanation but I imagine the oi is a dipthong.  If you say "foe" for vo, then "igt" with a short i, as in "diction, though with a g sound instead of a c, I think you'll be about right.  Auntie Helen will know.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #31 on: 16 September, 2013, 04:54:53 pm »
I heard it. Matt's "Vocked" is very close to what Jens said - perhaps the 'ck' was fairly soft, but in the right ballpark.

« Reply #32 on: 16 September, 2013, 05:15:15 pm »
I've just replayed it and the nearest phonetic I can get is 'Foe-kt'. The V does sound soft.
Working my way up to inferior.

Toady

« Reply #33 on: 16 September, 2013, 05:40:28 pm »
GI did go on to say to Jens that he was now so widely known as Jens Voyt in the anglophone world that it was too late to change it.  I could see the thinks bubble above JV's head.  I'm guessing that it said "So why did you bloody ask me then?"  But it was in German so I can't be sure.

Jakob

« Reply #34 on: 16 September, 2013, 07:06:27 pm »
Instead of a passionate defence of his drug-free status (as per Frome or Wiggins)

You mean, like Armstrong did?.

Despite decent race coverage here (live in the morning, with the last hour repeated at night), it's mostly been ignored as the NFL season has just started and MLB is in the September stretch.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #35 on: 16 September, 2013, 09:35:48 pm »
I didn't hear Jens's explanation but I imagine the oi is a dipthong.  If you say "foe" for vo, then "igt" with a short i, as in "diction, though with a g sound instead of a c, I think you'll be about right.  Auntie Helen will know.
I believe it's something like "Focht". A v in German is pronounced f.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 17 September, 2013, 12:00:56 am »
I believe it's something like "Focht". A v in German is pronounced f.
Thanks!

And I've now found the relevant dialogue - hoorah! Jens sounds (to me) like he's saying "focked". Of course this isn't amusing at all.

(Sorry Peter, but i didn't understand a word of your post!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #37 on: 17 September, 2013, 12:28:22 am »
Sorry, to hear that matt, but I won't give up on you!

Hillbilly

« Reply #38 on: 17 September, 2013, 08:26:26 am »
I too hope Horner rode clean. 

But if anything, it gives me greater confidence that the majority of the peleton is not enhancing performances.  All of those I would class as potential winners seemed to struggle in parts - no clearly superhuman feats.

LEE

« Reply #39 on: 18 September, 2013, 12:14:32 pm »
I too hope Horner rode clean. 

But if anything, it gives me greater confidence that the majority of the peleton is not enhancing performances.  All of those I would class as potential winners seemed to struggle in parts - no clearly superhuman feats.

I just heard that Horner has tested positive for Werthers Originals