Author Topic: 165mm vs. 175mm crank arms  (Read 3146 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
165mm vs. 175mm crank arms
« on: 01 June, 2008, 06:50:49 pm »
Since I raided Peli's fixed to get one of mine to work. I had a ride today on 165mm crank arms instead of my normal 175mm and I managed to get a 76" gearing instead of the normal 73".

On flats, I could barely feel any different, was spinning a bit faster.

Going up hills, I found it harder as I didn't have the leverage.

Going down hills (I didn't break any speed records this time), I was spinner faster but the spin felt more controlled than with 175mm.

Knees and back of the thighs and bum muscle :) feel a more tired than they used to after a 50miler with some hills that I had to walk up. Though I do not know if that is because that I have been on a geared bike for the last 2 weeks and got used to that.

So I think I will be looking for some 170mm crank arms when giving the cranks back to Peliroja.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: 165mm vs. 175mm crank arms
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:47:53 pm »
You usauly gear down for shorter cranks and gear up for longer cranks, so you did the other way around.
It's easier to spin fast with short cranks and you have more leverage with longer cranks.
But using the right sized cranks is always best if you want to keep your knees working. Shorter cranks are probably less damaging to the knees. I've used 175s before, but won't use them again. 170s are right for me.

Best regards,
                          A Crank.