Author Topic: Turbo trainer apps advice  (Read 2178 times)

Turbo trainer apps advice
« on: 07 November, 2020, 03:27:33 pm »
  I have acquired a Wahoo Kickr and am looking for advice on the most appropriate apps to suit my needs. I am 82 and post hip replacement  and cardiac arrest 3 years ago,so serious training is irrelevant,but  am still interested in the numbers.I mostly ride alone on the road but am competent in bunches as long as I can keep up,last year I was doing 26 or 27 minute 10mile TTs but nothing this year.As I feel the cold more nowadays I wont go out when it is<5C,snow,or very windy so intend to use the turbo in the garage to maintain fitness.Research so far suggests the choice lies between Zwift and Rouvy. Sensible comments please!

Re: Turbo trainer apps advice
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2020, 03:39:14 pm »
Have a look at Ray Makers page - spoilt for choice!

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/03/cycling-indoor-trainer-app-guide.html

Mike

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2020, 03:51:24 pm »
I’ve recently started using Zwift and find it very motivating. I haven’t used anything else to compare it with but it has a range of terrains to ride over and coupled with a smart trainer gives a realistic feel. I’ve only done some free rides and am 6 days into a 28 day FTP builder program but it also offers races and group rides.

« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2020, 04:08:10 pm »
There's a good recent thread here. Try asking any supplementary questions in that.

« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2020, 04:12:03 pm »
I would suggest Rouvy or similar (there are 3 or 4 discussed in that other thread) with “real world” scenery, which is what I’m considering swapping to from Zwift.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2020, 07:29:56 pm »
I really like Zwift. It is all computer generated but it’s engaging enough to keep me using it for at least 5 hours a week, which helps keep the weight off in lockdown. You can ride on your own, join a group ride, race, do a training programme, lots of options. Today I did a two hour group ride with 200 other people.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:00:30 am »
Following on from this...  At the moment I use an very basic Android tablet for TrainerRoad but am experimenting with several VR's.  So far I've got BigRingVR working on my Mac Pro with an Ant+ dongle.

Some say they have Apple TV apps.  What would I need for these to work - just an Apple TV box and monitor, or is the Apple TV hooked up to a computer also? Can't see how an Apple TV would have the processing power or Ant+ capability.

EDIT:  Just seen Apple TV is Bluetooth only.  That answers that part of the question!
The sound of one pannier flapping

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:09:55 am »
Apple TV is Bluetooth, not Ant+. It’s a standalone device. It’s perfectly capable of running Zwift, which is not a demanding app.

« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:11:30 am »
Apple TV is Bluetooth, not Ant+. It’s a standalone device. It’s perfectly capable of running Zwift, which is not a demanding app.

Thanks Tim!  Just spotted that before you posted.

How about other more demanding VR apps like Rouvy?

« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:21:37 am »

If you read the DC Rainmaker reviews, I think you'll find he runs most of his VR apps on a Apple TV. I've no idea how that would work though, and I sold mine a while back, but then I have an old work laptop in the shed/man cave anyway, plus our old 32" TV.

TimC

« Reply #10 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:33:20 am »

I’m not sure as I don’t use Apple TV. However, I’d say that if it runs ok on an iPhone or iPad, it’s probably fine on Apple TV. As mentioned above, DCRainmaker’s reviews are very useful.

« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2020, 11:45:22 am »
Thanks both.  Will do more reading/watching.

« Reply #12 on: 11 November, 2020, 12:27:38 pm »
Can't see how an Apple TV would have the processing power or Ant+ capability.

Unless your Mac Pro is one of the new 2020 ones, the Apple TV has more processing power.

« Reply #13 on: 11 November, 2020, 12:32:10 pm »
Can't see how an Apple TV would have the processing power or Ant+ capability.

Unless your Mac Pro is one of the new 2020 ones, the Apple TV has more processing power.

Quite probably - it's from 2012   Still, it has 64G Ram and a couple of bloody fast graphic cards so still handles all my music production needs.  It's from the era when Apple actually gave a toss about pro users and made a configurable machine at a (relatively) sensible price  ;D

« Reply #14 on: 11 November, 2020, 01:16:37 pm »
I run Zwift on Apple TV and it's limited to 3 devices - of which one is the <spit> remote which is AWFUL.

If you have an i-device you can use that as a remote which is way less bad.
Anyway, the 3-device limit means I have to use the trainer as cadence transmitter as well as power. I rarely have any issue with the ATV- fewer than Mr Smith does with his windows setup.

TimC

« Reply #15 on: 12 November, 2020, 02:20:24 am »
I’ve seen various workarounds for the 3-device limit, but as I don’t use ATV I can’t comment on their effectiveness.

« Reply #16 on: 12 November, 2020, 09:33:27 am »
Using a Kickr 18 (power & cadence) and Tickr for HR the 2 device limit shouldn't be an issue.  The remaining issue is whether to get a current ATV or wait for the 6th gen which is rumoured to have increased processing, storage*, etc and is long overdue.

* Is storage an issue if downloading videos for Rouvy, etc?  They are up to 3Gb a go.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #17 on: 12 November, 2020, 10:35:15 am »
I am 82 and post hip replacement  and cardiac arrest 3 years ago

I think the appropriate word here is... chapeau!

My dad is a 70-something whippersnapper, also with a hip replacement, as well as now being one kidney lighter. He enjoys cycling but doesn't like being out on the roads. I might suggest he gets himself a Kickr.

One practical question, how do you find mounting the bike with an artificial hip? My dad finds it hard enough without the bike being raised off the ground...

Can't help with suggestions on what apps to use - I'm just starting to get into Zwift myself.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 12 November, 2020, 10:50:01 am »
My dad is a 70-something whippersnapper, also with a hip replacement, as well as now being one kidney lighter. He enjoys cycling but doesn't like being out on the roads. I might suggest he gets himself a Kickr.

One practical question, how do you find mounting the bike with an artificial hip? My dad finds it hard enough without the bike being raised off the ground...

The nature of the bike doesn't really matter when on a wheel-off trainer, as long as it's compatible with available cassettes for the trainer; so maybe a step-thru bike would work?

citoyen

« Reply #19 on: 12 November, 2020, 10:59:57 am »
The nature of the bike doesn't really matter when on a wheel-off trainer, as long as it's compatible with available cassettes for the trainer; so maybe a step-thru bike would work?

Yes, good thinking!

« Reply #20 on: 12 November, 2020, 11:23:28 am »
The remaining issue is whether to get a current ATV or wait for the 6th gen which is rumoured to have increased processing, storage*, etc and is long overdue.

Mine says Zwift 2 GB, RGT 600 MB, Rouvy 150 MB. I've only used the latter two a couple of times though.

tbh I wouldn't worry about waiting for the new one (there's always one rumoured). It's an appliance and it's already far more powerful than it needs to be.

« Reply #21 on: 12 November, 2020, 01:27:35 pm »
I don't have an artificial hip, but it was a while before it dawned on me that, with the bike on a trainer, you can clip into one pedal before kicking your leg over. So, it's actually less height than for normal riding, when you're standing on the ground. Before I realised that, I was struggling because the bike is that bit higher. I'm using a wheel-on trainer, but I can't see why that would matter either way.

« Reply #22 on: 12 November, 2020, 01:46:41 pm »
with the bike on a trainer, you can clip into one pedal before kicking your leg over.

Yep, that how I mount / dismount on the turbo - like I did as a kid where you scooted along with a foot on the pedal before swinging the other over, the opposite for a dismount.

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 12 November, 2020, 01:46:41 pm »
I don't have an artificial hip, but it was a while before it dawned on me that, with the bike on a trainer, you can clip into one pedal before kicking your leg over.

Kicking a leg over is what my dad has trouble with. And anyway, isn't that the normal method for mounting a bike?

The solution I taught him was to lay the bike on the ground, stand astride it, then lift it upright between his legs. Can't really do that with a turbo!

« Reply #24 on: 12 November, 2020, 03:44:11 pm »
No trouble getting my leg over as I stand on a box.It does feel a bit odd as the bike doesn't tip towards me. Outdoors I too sometimes have to lie the bike down to get off,especially when using my Topeak MTX rack bag.