Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 299267 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
You'd think anyone reporting on a hacking convention would have got over the "ZOMG some children know more about computers than some adults" thing about 30 years ago.

The story, as originally filed, had got over it. However, a pesky 11 year old hacked into the newspaper's computer and changed the emphasis.  Or perhaps not.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
You'd think anyone reporting on a hacking convention would have got over the "ZOMG some children know more about computers than some adults" thing about 30 years ago.

The story, as originally filed, had got over it. However, a pesky 11 year old hacked into the newspaper's computer and changed the emphasis.  Or perhaps not.

That explains the Daily Mail.

ian

If an eleven year old can do that, it should probably worry us more what someone with significantly experience is capable of.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I arrived at wrk this morning.

I removed my laptop from it's bag.

I plugged it in.  "Hmmm" thought I, "Why does the power light not light?"

I lifted said laptop up to find a tiny pool-ette of liquid underneath it.

Thinking back, I got caught in not one, but two cloud bursts, yesterday.  I guess my laptop bag is not Monsoon proof.

Desktop support said "Do you not have a waterproof laptop bag?"

"Well," said I "the laptop bag I got with the laptop doesn't keep the rain off particularly well"*

"HUMPH" said they

*For some reason, our desktop support function do not supply laptop bags when they supply laptops...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The 'E' key on my MacBook Air is coming adrift. It works if jiggled.

I am not a rough or rapid typist.
At all.

David says he's not seen anything like this on any Mac he has owned.

E is, of course, the letter used most frequently.

Underwhelming. I'm sure we'll live with this and/or fix it.

Apple just works.

Always.

T key is coming adrift now...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
My land line rang yesterday.  Probably for the first time.  I answer it and down a crackly line a woman with an Indian accent* says she's calling from First Direct but before we proceed could she ask me some security questions.

I almost hang up straightaway, but explain that that's not going to happen is it. She understands and asks me to call back and ask for extension xyz.  She also says she'll text me the reason for the call. 1471 indicates the number she called from was kosher, a text arrives asking me to get in touch with the fraud team, so I call them on my mobile. I explain what's gone on, they reassure me it's a legit call, thank me for taking such precautions and put me through. More crackly line, another Indian accent*.  It turns out my credit has been declined in attempted dodgy transactions by Bad People. Card gets stopped, we check the transaction history, I cut up the card.

Why do they do this?They even realised it was wrong when I refused to give them the details.

*IME, calls to First Direct have been on uncrackley lines to people with Scottish or Norvern Monkey accents, as their call centres are in Scotland somewhere or Leeds. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Bonkers, just bonkers, I've been on Linux for years, always kept a backup of my files on an external drive. Today I was trying to update my backups, I deleted my download folder on the eternal drive then found that I couldn't copy a fresh copy to the backup drive, it wouldn't let me, if I renamed it Dave's Downloads it would accept it, if I tried to rename it downloads it wouldn't let me, if I renamed it downloads and did it as two words it would let me do that. All other files copied with no problems.

Phil W

Found an old Mapsource manual.  Recommends at least 16-32Mb of memory  and 640x480 display. Those were the days.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
The 'E' key on my MacBook Air is coming adrift. It works if jiggled.

I am not a rough or rapid typist.
At all.

David says he's not seen anything like this on any Mac he has owned.

E is, of course, the letter used most frequently.

Underwhelming. I'm sure we'll live with this and/or fix it.

Apple just works.

Always.

Is it the plastic key holder breaking?

https://jpdiv.wordpress.com/2011/02/19/replacing-the-keys-on-an-apple-keyboard/  hopefully shows what I mean.

PS am in your neck of the woods today.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Here is some ancient analogue goodness. Donated by a colleague who was clearing out his office.

Analog computing by David Martin, on Flickr

I have yet to use it in anger.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

It sounds like dirt or crumbs trapped underneath. You can unclip the keytops on MacBooks by sticking a long fingernail under the top edge and gently pulling upwards.

(N.B. don't do this on a newer USB-C MacBook keyboard, you'll probably break it)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Don't try and clip them back in though!  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Nah, once they're off you can see how the clip mechanism works and slide them back over the little pins easily enough.

(or just roughly lining them up and mashing them down also works)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
I shall try mashing!
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Well my PC is playing up. Over the last few day it has just frozen while not doing something hard. Looking in the logs I can't see (and understand) what causes it. The only thing that jumps out is a somethingKernelSomeotherthing was restarted or not shut down properly.

Plugging and unplugging the SSD boot drive into motherboard with other HHD drive. When the SSD drive is not connected I can boot right into BIOS and see the connected drives there. But when that SSD drive is plugged in sometimes I can and when I can I might see it and some of the others drives there.

Plugging the drive into a USB adopter, on my laptop it tells me that the drive is just fine.

Installed win10 on another disk so lets see if that behaves and if it does it must be the SSD not the motherboard.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Remember the days when HDDs at 7200rpm were fast? 

Goes shopping for a new SSD before I fall asleep waiting for things to happen on this disk :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
I'm loving Linux Mint 19 Mate Edition :-) So much so, I've installed it on my old-desktop-hooked-up-to-the-telly-legal-steaming-box, my desktop, and my cheap refurbished HP Probook 6450b  :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
 Memory Lane: rooting through the cable crypt for something to cannibalize to wire up a CB guitar this morning, I came up with a home-made Laplink cable, the RS232 version.  Remember the first time you saw that? I do: the wonder of seeing the contents of both PCs at the same time. And the suspense while you waited to see if the transfer would actually work without crashing.

Didn't use it - wanted multistrand.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I was an Amiga jibbler in those days, PARNet (and its scrawny sibling SERNet) was the equivalent.  I remember cobbling up a null modem cable out of the mains lead from a dead lawnmower, which was excellent for multi-player games but outperformed by sneakernet with 880kB floppies for actual file transfers.  There was still a convenience factor of being able to leave the OS floppy in the drive on the machine without a hard disk.

My printers down again :( I've a cheap HP printer that's about ten years old now that's been getting increasingly temperamental as time passes. Its latest trick is to print but produce blank sheets, I can hear it printing but it doesn't produce anything, I'm sure its done this before but I can't remember what the solution was. Ideally I'd replace it but I do that little printing I can't justify buying another.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
My printers down again :( I've a cheap HP printer that's about ten years old now that's been getting increasingly temperamental as time passes. Its latest trick is to print but produce blank sheets, I can hear it printing but it doesn't produce anything, I'm sure its done this before but I can't remember what the solution was. Ideally I'd replace it but I do that little printing I can't justify buying another.

Is it an ink jet printer.

Is it an ink jet printer.

Yes its an inkjet, a HP deskjet2280 running on ubuntu 18.04, I'm thinking about waiting till after Xmas and then spending any cash I've received over Xmas or my birthday on a replacement in any sales that are going on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
...On some kind of laser printer, given that you go long periods without using it.

...On some kind of laser printer, given that you go long periods without using it.

Laser printers cost too much,  I like the idea but they're to far outside any budget I might have.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Quote from: dave r
... I can hear it printing but it doesn't produce anything...
Of course you have checked that the cartridges aren't empty, haven't you?  :)

If you're only printing stuff intermittently and the printer has a "clean print heads" cycle you can start manually try that before you kick off a print run.  The cartridge print heads may be gumming up where they're sitting idle so no ink is reaching the paper.

If there's no manual clean option, the cartridge is still full and it is just a case of gummed up heads you could try taking the cartridge out and very, very, very gently cleaning the heads with a damp cotton bud.  Bit of a last resort this though because you run the risk of buggering up the fragile cartridge heads completely and what with cartridges being ridiculously overpriced...

Another possibility that's just flitted through what passes for my mind is that the ink in the cartridge(s) may have dried out/gone sludgy/separated if they're very old cartridges. Worth trying a new cartridge if you've got any to hand?

You could also check that the cartridges' signal contact points are still held securely and cleanly against the printer and perhaps give them a bit of a clean if they look grubby.

After that? Not a clue.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου