Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 300254 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
That's a Bentley, have you ever read Good Omens?

Needs more flames?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Yahoo! has hijacked my searching.

Having chosen Google as my default search engine, all my searches now seem to end up with Yahoo! even when I start from google.co.uk.

My ISP is BT and I use their webmail but I don't like Yahoo! for searches.

It's not fair!

This on the mac?

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Having chosen Google as my default search engine, all my searches now seem to end up with Yahoo! even when I start from google.co.uk.

It's not fair!

This on the mac?

Yup!

It's not fair!

This on the mac?

Yup!

Something in your browser, either a setting or an addon. Its not a generic BT thing. I'm on BT and my search stays on Google.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

I'm still not sure I'm ready to talk to computers. I don't much like talking to humans. I can apparently talk to my security cameras. Woot.
Mrs Pcolbeck has a passive aggressive relationship with our Alexa setup (controls music and lights in main part of the house). I think Alexa may be winning.

Hmm, my wife refuses to speak to Alexa already. I'm not sure what Alexa said, she'd only been installed for twenty minutes. Honestly.

I will say that the Sonos set-up was a masterclass in how to do computer things. Simple, guided instructions, took a few minutes, job done. Alexa set-up, on the other hand, honestly Amazon you have bazillion dollars, couldn't you spend more than $5 on your app UX?

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Ian,
I haven't looked at Sonos' blurb on what you can do with Alexa, lately, but can you give it voice instructions to play a particular album from a particular folder on your music library?  Its folder structure is several layers deep.  I'm not at all interested in streaming music services, just playing my own music, and accessing internet radio.  I don't currently use Sonos speakers, its just the method of getting the music from my NAS to my amp, and the only actual Sonos component is the Connect box.  As I'm unimpressed with the Sonos Android app, and its perverse layout (the PC one is far more readable, but why aren't they identical in appearance?) I'd like a less fussy way to play the music I want.
Wombat

Windows 10 Oct 2018 update didn't.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

ian

Ian,
I haven't looked at Sonos' blurb on what you can do with Alexa, lately, but can you give it voice instructions to play a particular album from a particular folder on your music library?  Its folder structure is several layers deep.  I'm not at all interested in streaming music services, just playing my own music, and accessing internet radio.  I don't currently use Sonos speakers, its just the method of getting the music from my NAS to my amp, and the only actual Sonos component is the Connect box.  As I'm unimpressed with the Sonos Android app, and its perverse layout (the PC one is far more readable, but why aren't they identical in appearance?) I'd like a less fussy way to play the music I want.

No, it will only locate tunes by voice via a streaming service (because the magic cloud that processes your commands knows nothing – nor has access to – your NAS). You'd have to use the app. The iOS Sonos app looks fine and will index any music on your NAS. I can also play Spotify, Amazon Music etc. via AirPlay to get around the restriction that ties you a premium service for direct streaming. But again, unless the tunes are online (or you use something like iTunes Match) the voice command won't work other than for skip, volume up and down, etc.

To be honest, that's probably fine for me, I'm still prevaricating over Spotify Premium, a state of indecision that may last for another couple of decades. I mostly bought it for the speakers to replace my ancient stereogram. Far better than faffing about with bluetooth.

It's great for internet radio, I just have to say Alexa, play [station name], and job done. There's probably much more stuff, I'm sure. She certainly doesn't know about train status though, because I just asked her. Southern should give her a job, she's ideally qualified.

The default search engine option in the Safari Preferences seems to currently be broken and the actual way to change it is to open a new window, click the magnifying glass next to the search box in the toolbar and you get a secret menu of the actual search engine to use.

(Although that doesn’t explain it redirecting if you use the embedded search box within a google.co.uk page... if that’s happening something is *very* wrong)

hellymedic

• Just do it!

The default search engine option in the Safari Preferences seems to currently be broken and the actual way to change it is to open a new window, click the magnifying glass next to the search box in the toolbar and you get a secret menu of the actual search engine to use.

(Although that doesn’t explain it redirecting if you use the embedded search box within a google.co.uk page... if that’s happening something is *very* wrong)

I see google for about a second, then Yahoo jumps in...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Helly, smells like you have malware in your browser or the system. Try a different browser to see if it still happens. Also try starting your browsers with addons disabled or in safe mode.

barakta

As for Alexa, I am morally obliged to share this youtube clip of Scottish woman getting angry and sweary at Alexa for not understanding her accent until she fakes being English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orD-e_W6Pic

I think if I revert to my now lost native Glaswegian accent speech recognition is usually slightly better.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Helly, smells like you have malware in your browser or the system. Try a different browser to see if it still happens. Also try starting your browsers with addons disabled or in safe mode.

Thanks! Will do!

ian

Bad Cat and I challenged Alexa to a miaow-down. This was fine, apparently Alexa, once appropriately skilled has a large collection of what appear to be authentic miaows. Until Alexa interrupted proceedings which had, until that time, consisted solely of miaows with a message 'Thank you for subscribing to Audible, please say "yes" to confirm.'

Me and Bad Cat looked at one another. Then she miaowed.

So yes, I've just had to go online to cancel the cat's £7.99/month subscription to Audible. More worrying is that cats can order things via Alexa.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

As for Alexa, I am morally obliged to share this youtube clip of Scottish woman getting angry and sweary at Alexa for not understanding her accent until she fakes being English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orD-e_W6Pic

I think if I revert to my now lost native Glaswegian accent speech recognition is usually slightly better.
Laughing out loud.

barakta

I just think of some of my Scottish family, my cousin Lynne would do a great rendition of this. She's from Paisley near Glasgow and when she gets going it's a real entertaining experience to watch. I'm amazed I can follow her given how deaf I am, but I can understand her perfectly, especially after a glass of wine!

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Ian,

No, it will only locate tunes by voice via a streaming service (because the magic cloud that processes your commands knows nothing – nor has access to – your NAS). You'd have to use the app. The iOS Sonos app looks fine and will index any music on your NAS. I can also play Spotify, Amazon Music etc. via AirPlay to get around the restriction that ties you a premium service for direct streaming. But again, unless the tunes are online (or you use something like iTunes Match) the voice command won't work other than for skip, volume up and down, etc.

To be honest, that's probably fine for me, I'm still prevaricating over Spotify Premium, a state of indecision that may last for another couple of decades. I mostly bought it for the speakers to replace my ancient stereogram. Far better than faffing about with bluetooth.

It's great for internet radio, I just have to say Alexa, play [station name], and job done. There's probably much more stuff, I'm sure. She certainly doesn't know about train status though, because I just asked her. Southern should give her a job, she's ideally qualified.

Thanks for that info, Ian. I wasn't sure if it effectively voice controlled the Sonos app, or sidestepped it to directly control the music.  I find the Sonos app annoying in the way it is not very obvious how to go from the queue to looking for more music (The PC app has 3 columns, so why doesn't the phone/tablet one, allowing me to use it landscape format, and having it all visible?), and that I have to tell it where my music library is, every time I use it.   Why can't it just look immediately in the NAS music folders straight away, rather than offering me the NAS drive, and even then having to tell it where the music is.  Mind you, I also hate the way all computing based music playing stuff wants to decide what an "album" is, rather than respecting the fact that each album is in its own sub-folder, because that's how each album is defined. And as for choosing music by "genres" just sod off, will you?  Its in albums under each music type, and as you haven't got a clue what genre a 16th century choral piece is, don't even try.  And that most decidedly applies to Microsoft effing Groove music, which I'm left with after MS decided the fully working Media player was not permissible any longer.  I've given up and use a Nero product for playing music when sat in front of the PC.
Wombat

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
They've re-released the update, apparently without the random file deletion feature.

Maybe one day Windows will be ready for the desktop...

I noticed the update was ready to update (on shutdown) this am, when I slept the PC.  Worth doing creating a system restore point or summat else?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Quote from: Kim
Maybe one day Windows will be ready for the desktop...
Not in our lifetimes.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I decided to update the office suite on this lapdancer from an old version of OpenOffice to the latest version of LibreOffice. The LO installation went fine, but when I started it up and mucked about with a spreadsheet the lapdancer cpu temperature went through the roof (well over 90°C according to SpeedFan)  :o A bit of opening and closing of programs revealed LO to be the culprit.

A search on a FISE came up with disabling use of OpenCL by LO and that seems to have done the trick, but, Ruddy Norah, I thought I was going to have a borked lappy for a moment  :demon:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Machine learning in learning from the training dataset shocker!