Author Topic: New rear  (Read 4127 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
New rear
« on: 10 September, 2012, 09:00:08 pm »
Gah. Cleaning the cack and ...

Goldtec still on a downer? Recommendations?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: New rear
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »
I recommend a new hub  ;)

Do they have a warranty?  I can't remember and I have two of them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2012, 09:07:18 pm »
Do they have a warranty?  I can't remember and I have two of them.

Well 2nd+, so not warranted.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2012, 11:24:16 am »
Goldtec still on a downer?
BETD:- ETA 8 weeks, possibly... ::-) That'll be a YES then.

Goes off hunting elsewhere.

« Reply #4 on: 12 September, 2012, 12:03:45 pm »
Am I allowed to blatently advertise away from the for sale board? :demon:

If you want something similar to that picture, I have a pair of identical-to-yours black Goldtecs 36spoke on black Open Pros, rear 130oln, that ought to go to a new home what with the sale of the rest of my fixed bike.

Not sure if it sweetens the deal but they were previously owned (and I think built by) one Mr Volio for use on his Airborne.

Ping me a pm if yer interested.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5 on: 12 September, 2012, 01:17:29 pm »
Is this a common failure? I had a similar crack (worse, a piece of flange came away completely) in a Campagnolo Chorus rear hub a few years ago, and it really hadn't had heavy use (and I'm not a heavy rider). Neither Goldtec nor Chorus are at the cheap end of the market.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2012, 02:50:53 pm »
Is this a common failure?
No, they're pretty bombproof - It's probably genuine EOL issue, given its history. Just irritating that several (fixie market) suppliers seem to be caught in a downward spiral ATM, giving supply chain issues.

Anyway, Charlie's "NoLogo" FTW - just means I'll have to get different spokes as well for the rebuild.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2012, 05:42:18 pm »
What size wheel is it?  You can borrow a 700c if you want.  Pewter Goldtec, 120mm OLD.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2012, 09:25:56 pm »
What size wheel is it?  You can borrow a 700c if you want.  Pewter Goldtec, 120mm OLD.
oh c'mon Mr Z; you've been amongst the pron... :)

« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:16:39 pm »
How are you getting on with the No Logos, iddu? Though Charlie the Bikemonger seems to be out of stock.

I'm in the market for a new rear (probably - there's a lot of play in the bearings on the no-name jobbie, and it's had plenty of use, so I may as well take the opportunity to replace the whole thing).

What are the alternatives? Are On-One's own brand kit any good? That's about the price range (£30), but it's a high-mileage bike.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: 13 January, 2014, 12:08:54 am »
How are you getting on with the No Logos, iddu? Though Charlie the Bikemonger seems to be out of stock.

I'm in the market for a new rear (probably - there's a lot of play in the bearings on the no-name jobbie, and it's had plenty of use, so I may as well take the opportunity to replace the whole thing).

What are the alternatives? Are On-One's own brand kit any good? That's about the price range (£30), but it's a high-mileage bike.

The hub itself if fine; original bearings started to go after about 3,000km of winter cack (1mm wobble at rim),  but then something has to give at that price. (Better) replacements have been OK for so far, but the b/b weld has gone again, so the componentry is likely to be stripped in due course, unless I wrap in a soot bandage...

Chris N

« Reply #11 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:25:47 am »

Unless you need the wheel building practice, just change the bearings. It's easy enough to do and doesn't cost much.

« Reply #12 on: 03 February, 2014, 11:18:25 pm »
Good advice, Chris - that is what I did in the end. I must say, it was a far easier job than with Goldtecs, the only other wheels where I've replaced cartridge bearings.

Still, these wheels were only ever a stop-gap, and I've had them three years now, they were second hand then, the rim is feeling a bit concave, and - importantly - I'd like the rear to be silver to match the SON on the front. S'pose I'll run this one into the ground first, though.