Author Topic: fixed wheel bike comfortable for audax/long rides  (Read 14534 times)

vistaed

• Everyday stories
Re: fixed wheel bike comfortable for audax/long rides
« Reply #25 on: 23 October, 2013, 09:35:16 pm »
I've always enjoyed riding my Pearson Touché. Ok it's aluminium, but with a nice Ti railed brooks saddle and 90psi 25mm tires, I find it nice and comfy and plenty light enough. I've often wondered what I'd buy if I had to replace it, but to be honest, think I'd go for it again.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #26 on: 04 December, 2013, 03:11:43 pm »
I have recently bought the same frame i believe as the Byer cycles (Pearson Hanzo etc) from a bike shop in Bristol - Strada Cycles.
They sell it as their 'Fixation' model - Reynolds steel butted frame with carbon forks.
They built it up for me running Mavic Pro rims + 28 tyres, mudguards, 3 speed fixed (getting on a bit now !) - no toe overlap ! - very comfortable and rides well.

OP - Strada are friendly and helpful, the owner has one himself you may be able to try ?

I'm in Clevedon North Somerset.

Richard.

Thanks for that Richard :thumbsup:. Having discovered that I've bent the frame on my fixed conversion, I'm now in the market for a new frame. I went in last week to see a Fixation they were building up, and am taking the owner's bike out for a test ride (during a DIY 200) on Saturday. It looks great, and seems to have everything I want (2 sets of bottle bosses, rack & guard mounts, pump pegs) and nothing that I don't. He mentioned that they'd done a 3-speed one, which I guess must be yours.

Will report back in due course...
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #27 on: 14 December, 2013, 12:11:20 pm »
I've always enjoyed riding my Pearson Touché. Ok it's aluminium, but with a nice Ti railed brooks saddle and 90psi 25mm tires, I find it nice and comfy and plenty light enough. I've often wondered what I'd buy if I had to replace it, but to be honest, think I'd go for it again.

Sounds like we've got the exact same bike! I use 28c tyres though ;)

« Reply #28 on: 14 December, 2013, 01:14:56 pm »
Thats a nice looking bike Jordan,will be doing some Audax rides on it?

« Reply #29 on: 14 December, 2013, 04:50:36 pm »
I certainly would like to! I've had an unintentional hiatus in audax rides as I'm in the process of changing my road bike frame, need to pull my finger out and do some rides on the fixed in the meantime. Last ride was in october :o

« Reply #30 on: 15 December, 2013, 07:23:48 pm »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41832500@N07/11052849213/
This is my Kineses Convert.Aluminium frame with a leather saddle and gel handlebar tape.The midge handlebars are good for climbs and descents.The frame may be a bit harsh but is very stiff and responsive.

Reg.T

« Reply #31 on: 18 December, 2013, 05:27:33 pm »
Well, I bought the frame. Planning to build it up over Christmas. Photos to follow.

« Reply #32 on: 18 December, 2013, 08:02:04 pm »
Reg T
How was the bike test ?

I've not done too many miles on mine as yet, still adjusting reach/saddle position etc, but pleased with the feel.
Will have to adjust the Sturmey wheel cones now its run in a bit.

R.

Reg.T

« Reply #33 on: 19 December, 2013, 03:47:15 pm »
Well, it was good enough to convince me to buy the frame, but I found it quite hard to evaluate - I was in the middle of a 200km ride on my old fixed, which is quite lively (especially with the increased head tube angle), and the owner's Fixation was set up quite differently (bigger, higher bars) and running SS, and it was raining.

But I'm hopeful it'll turn out to be a bit more relaxed/comfortable, as I'd like to be able to do some longer rides on it, which I don't think I could do on the old frame.

Just waiting for the levers to arrive now, and it'll be ready to build up over Christmas...

« Reply #34 on: 21 December, 2013, 06:31:31 pm »
I found it a bit of a 'leap of faith' as his bike was too big for me also, but reports all seemed to be good.

I've got a 480 (19") - can't get used to these modern frame sizes - always had bigger ones in the past.

Look forward to reports when its finished - hope it lives up to expectations !

If you want to try 3 speed fixed your welcome to try mine (even have a spare wheel built up).

R.

Reg.T

« Reply #35 on: 26 January, 2014, 04:13:30 pm »
Right, here it is:

Still need to fettle a few things, like my position and the rear guard. Have so far only ridden it twice (discounting a 400m shake-down ride). First was the January Sale 200km from Tewkesbury (and I discovered on the first leg that the stem wasn't properly tightened on the steerer  :hand:), and the second was yesterday's Jack & Grace Cotton Memorial 100km from NW Bristol (150km total from home and back).

I do feel that I will need to tweak the setup a bit, but so far I'm very pleased with it.

Would like to use it for commuting, but don't want to put the rack on that would make it practical for that. No doubt I'll get over that soon.

« Reply #36 on: 26 January, 2014, 05:27:38 pm »
I built this last year and it goes to the pub very well.

I've ridden 40 to 50 miles on it quite happily, in singlespeed mode, and it weighs about 21lbs without any seatpack. The frame is 531pro, so pretty skinny and flexi, and at 58cm seat tube it's a tiny bit small. I can live with that however. Geared 48:18 and just squeezes in 25mm open corsa evos. Makes you wonder really - they came with 20mm tyres back in 88.

« Reply #37 on: 29 January, 2014, 06:51:18 am »
Right, here it is:

Still need to fettle a few things, like my position and the rear guard. Have so far only ridden it twice (discounting a 400m shake-down ride). First was the January Sale 200km from Tewkesbury (and I discovered on the first leg that the stem wasn't properly tightened on the steerer  :hand:), and the second was yesterday's Jack & Grace Cotton Memorial 100km from NW Bristol (150km total from home and back).

I do feel that I will need to tweak the setup a bit, but so far I'm very pleased with it.

Would like to use it for commuting, but don't want to put the rack on that would make it practical for that. No doubt I'll get over that soon.

Looking good  :thumbsup:

It's got "Bryan Chapman" written all over it!

Reg.T

« Reply #38 on: 29 January, 2014, 07:58:53 am »
Ha! Not this year (not on gears either). My ambitions for this year on this bike extend to 400km, but not further. Are you Easter Arrowing Henry?

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #39 on: 29 January, 2014, 05:15:07 pm »
In the last week I've done a couple of 140km day-rides on my Genesis Day One, running 42x17 fixed. One of these against an all-day headwind (good training I suppose, but making a hard ride).

Responding to the question in the OP, the thing that I really noticed both times was how unaffected I was physically by these rides.  No trace of being beaten up, which is a testament to the comfort of the Day One rather than my state of fitness. 

I use a B17 saddle. The frame is 56cm and I'm 175cm with longish arms and legs so while on paper the frame is a bit big, in practice it's perfect for me. It's very nicely balanced, lively but not twitchy, and not too heavy in single speed form. It all combines into a really nice package.

I'd happily buy another Day One, but don't see any need to upgrade.  :)
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #40 on: 29 January, 2014, 09:59:07 pm »
Are you Easter Arrowing Henry?
Would love to but have hernia op some time soon, unlikely to be back to match fitness in time for the Arrow, or May's 400/600's. Will let you know if it does happen to be possible though.