Author Topic: new fixie rider  (Read 5634 times)

new fixie rider
« on: 23 December, 2014, 08:37:45 pm »
Hi! I new on fixed gear...

So far done 40 at the weekend, and commuted 24each way to work and back today. I'm quite enjoying it, more than i expected although slow riding round trafic is trickier than i expected, as is starting off!

I'm riding, 44x18 at the moment (64inches), which feels too little for when i'm riding quickly but just right into the headwind (there's no hills as i commute in the fens!) and am wondering if i should stick with it and learn to spin, or think about a smaller sprocket...

probably should have asked this before starting riding fixed but any top tips welcome!

Re: new fixie rider
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2014, 09:07:42 pm »
Don't try to stand up and freewheel over a level crossing, at the bottom of a hill. BTDT  ::-)

If you ride fixed enough, you may need to remind yourself:

• that you don't need to slow down that much so you can pedal all the way round a roundabout on the time trial bike.  :facepalm:
  • When you stop at traffic lights, that you dont need to pull the front brake on and lift the back wheel to get the cranks in the right place, when you are on the geared bike. ::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2014, 09:21:36 pm »
Hi! I new on fixed gear...

So far done 40 at the weekend, and commuted 24each way to work and back today. I'm quite enjoying it, more than i expected although slow riding round trafic is trickier than i expected, as is starting off!

I'm riding, 44x18 at the moment (64inches), which feels too little for when i'm riding quickly but just right into the headwind (there's no hills as i commute in the fens!) and am wondering if i should stick with it and learn to spin, or think about a smaller sprocket...

probably should have asked this before starting riding fixed but any top tips welcome!

Back in the day, 64 inch races were part of early season training. Good for cadence. My previous singlespeed was about 71 or 72 inches and some of the local N Yorkshire climbs were challenging, but I averaged a reasonable pace and enjoyed it immensely.

New, old build coming soon will be fixed/free. Not decided on gear yet.

« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2014, 09:27:31 pm »
Constant flatland headwinds can be really hard on the knees so I reckon 64” sounds about right. When winter is over it might feel like the right time to change to a 17 or 16 at the back.

Tip: either 1) practice getting your water bottle in and out or 2) learn to remember never to try to get your water bottle out.

« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2014, 09:31:10 pm »
Always make sure your laces are tucked in.  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2014, 11:30:30 pm »
Sounds as if you're doing okay. I'm riding 43x18 at the moment, probably swap back to 43x17 for summer. 90 to 120 is comfortable cadence for me, you get used to it and it does wonders for your pedalling technique.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 23 December, 2014, 11:49:59 pm »
Keep pedalling. ::-)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7 on: 24 December, 2014, 12:04:18 am »
Don't lean too far in corners - it hurts a lot IME
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 24 December, 2014, 06:42:05 am »
67" to 72" is the norm with a few going 5" up or down, depending on hills.

44x17 does me for the moment and worked fine for last weekend's 200 brevet in the flatlands. Teethgrinder often used considerably larger fixed gears but apparently has knees of iron and muscles of steel. Not many can get away with that sort of thing without injury.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9 on: 24 December, 2014, 10:50:11 am »
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Sounds like i should stick with it for now, might have a play with a bigger gear after i have some miles under my belt in the spring.

Had thought about drinking yet - the bike has no bosses for cages so i made my ride partner act as domestique and carry my bottle for me, as payment he made me act as his lead-out man for 39 of the 40mile ride :-) but that doesn't work so well for commuting. Will have to get some "band-on" cages i guess or have a drink at work instead...

I figured out the lifting the back wheel trick too, that's very handy and less stressful than starting off on the wrong leg in the wrong position and was really surprised how much less hard than expected riding up hill was! I'm also surprised that my average speed doesnt seem much different to normal either.

The bike has cross top levers and bulhorns, i'm quite tempted to fit some TT levers into the end of the horns if there are any bargains post xmas as it feels a more natural position to ride (very like the hoods on my drops) and they look better (sorry...)

At the moment it still feels like the time when you move to clipless pedals, where i'm still constantly reminding myself that something is different, at some point this will pass then no doubt i'll forget to pedal and hopefully nothing too bad will result.

rob

« Reply #10 on: 24 December, 2014, 11:48:25 am »
I've ridden 70" for commuting, training and audax for the last few 3-4 years, but using 80" for TTs.    I never really got on with gears in the lower 60"s as I didn't have the required souplesse.

I'm experimenting with bigger gears this Winter and have been commuting and training on 79".    2 reasons :-

- I want to use a bigger gear on PBP as spinny descents on day 3/4 hurt a lot last time.
- I want to be able to push a bigger gear in the TTs and will move up to high 80"s when my new wheels have been chosen.

Knees are holding up fine and I can feel that I am pedalling more smoothly on the heavy Winter bike.   

« Reply #11 on: 24 December, 2014, 05:06:42 pm »

Had thought about drinking yet - the bike has no bosses for cages so i made my ride partner act as domestique and carry my bottle for me, as payment he made me act as his lead-out man for 39 of the 40mile ride :-) but that doesn't work so well for commuting. Will have to get some "band-on" cages i guess or have a drink at work instead...

That's one of the things that confused me about lots of fixed frames when I was looking for one - there seems to be a shortage of frames out there with one set of bottle bosses, and even fewer with two! ??? Maybe it doesn't look cool enough for the hipster fixie crowd.

« Reply #12 on: 24 December, 2014, 05:40:17 pm »
If you're using your fixed-wheel for any serious cycling you need to be able to carry bidons. My next frame has three specified, as well as mudguard and rack eyes.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #13 on: 24 December, 2014, 05:45:23 pm »
These are Very Wise words.  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

44x18 sounds fine for the time being.

You will get stronger (it's a consequence), so consider 17T or even 16T when you feel ready (you'll know when).

Good luck - fixed gear is a lot of fun. The worst bit is steep downhills, which probably isn't much of a problem in your area.  :)
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #14 on: 31 December, 2014, 12:58:48 pm »
...then no doubt i'll forget to pedal and hopefully nothing too bad will result.
The bike will remember for you. You'll only forget a couple of times.

When trying to pedal more smoothly at high revs, don't just try to keep up with the pedals. Try to spin them faster or you'll bounce around uncomfortably.

« Reply #15 on: 31 December, 2014, 05:22:44 pm »
About 200 miles is all it takes to get used to fixed. Windy days are the worst, you struggle into the headwinds and then struggle to keep up with the gearies with a tailwind. In 2 months time you will be a stronger and better rider for it.

« Reply #16 on: 31 December, 2014, 07:56:42 pm »
Update: Went out with gears this week which was odd, very odd. I found it strange free wheeling and also felt happier pushing harder and definitely pedalled much more than I would have two weeks ago! Looking fed to getting back on the Fixie again now!
Getting sore wrists, which I think is due to the narrow position where the brake levers are on the flats (hence using gears again ) am now eyeing up tt levers!

Jakob

« Reply #17 on: 31 December, 2014, 10:34:04 pm »
If you're using your fixed-wheel for any serious cycling you need to be able to carry bidons. My next frame has three specified, as well as mudguard and rack eyes.

Nice to know that my cycling is not serious...I'll remember to laugh more on the commute home.

« Reply #18 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:22:01 pm »
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Sounds like i should stick with it for now, might have a play with a bigger gear after i have some miles under my belt in the spring.

I figured out the lifting the back wheel trick too, that's very handy and less stressful than starting off on the wrong leg in the wrong position and was really surprised how much less hard than expected riding up hill was! I'm also surprised that my average speed doesnt seem much different to normal either.

The bike has cross top levers and bulhorns, i'm quite tempted to fit some TT levers into the end of the horns if there are any bargains post xmas as it feels a more natural position to ride (very like the hoods on my drops) and they look better (sorry...)

At the moment it still feels like the time when you move to clipless pedals, where i'm still constantly reminding myself that something is different, at some point this will pass then no doubt i'll forget to pedal and hopefully nothing too bad will result.

Go clipless; it's so much easier than toeclips on a fixed. I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it (except with crummy MicroLook pedals that unclip in the middle of steep climbs and are miserable to clip in the rest of the time DAHIKT). SPDs are wonderful!

« Reply #19 on: 06 January, 2015, 05:27:41 am »
Yep, did that from the off with some sods, I'd prefer saddle but thought the ease of double sided would be sensible till I got the hang of starting off.

« Reply #20 on: 06 January, 2015, 01:46:41 pm »
Go clipless; it's so much easier than toeclips on a fixed. I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it (except with crummy MicroLook pedals that unclip in the middle of steep climbs and are miserable to clip in the rest of the time DAHIKT). SPDs are wonderful!

I'd also avoid Shimano SH-56 cleats, for similar unwanted unclipping on hills reasons. :hand:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 06 January, 2015, 05:29:30 pm »
Oh gosh yes!  Absolutely with that advice!

I love riding with clips & straps, but commuting on fixed it was very frustrating.
Getting there...

« Reply #22 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:37:39 pm »

Fell over this one in the summer, cycling home from work, boot lace came undone and wrapped round the pedal, came to a stop at a roundabout then toppled over on my side, at the head of a long queue of traffic, most of the drivers were from where I work.  ;D  :-[

« Reply #23 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:41:11 pm »
Oh gosh yes!  Absolutely with that advice!

I love riding with clips & straps, but commuting on fixed it was very frustrating.

I've always ridden fixed with clips and straps and been happy with them, I've had clipless on my geared bike for the last four years and I'd much rather be on clips and straps, I don't actually like clipless.

« Reply #24 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:59:28 pm »
Don't push the pedals round. Move your feet in circles.

Yeah, that sounds a bit obvious and silly, but it is all too easy to end up focusing on pushing on the pedals. But at high and very low revs you will get smoother and it will be easier if you focus on making circles with your feet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>