Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 399419 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1425 on: 14 October, 2022, 08:20:44 am »
That is absolutely correct. I don't, and I don't care. I know how to create the proper route for my Garmin, and I know how to use it. That's all I need. Unless I can not pray out the GPS coordinates from the organizer.

Ah, you're wilfully being a cubit. Got it.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1426 on: 14 October, 2022, 02:22:46 pm »
I assume (apart from being a little silly) that DIY GPS MTB Audaxing is perfectly fine to do?

It'd have to be GPS & Mandatory route, but I was thinking it could let me get AUK points for things like https://www.cyclinguk.org/king-alfreds-way
I got 2 points from my recent attempt at this (Gravel bike not MTB) the first day was home to sonning thames path to reading follow KAW to winchester, 13 hours 200km.

day 2 was supposed to be follow KAW to streatley, then home partly on the ridgeway. when I got to streatley after 14 hours that clearly was not going to happen. It seemed like every descent was either technical or overgrown, so it was not possible to make up time.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #1427 on: 15 October, 2022, 01:31:26 pm »
Ah, you're wilfully being a cubit. Got it.

We are no longer in the 80s. I don't want to do some /Dakar Rally/Adventure Rally/Roadbook Challenge/ on a day when I have to ride 400+ km. I want to do it the easiest way possible to complete it. Prepare at home,and just concentrate only on the riding on the day of the event,and not fiddling with the navigation.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1428 on: 15 October, 2022, 01:44:03 pm »
Feel free to filter your events to only enter those run by organisers that run them exactly how you want. There are lots of events in the calendar to choose from and their organisers take a variety of approaches.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1429 on: 16 October, 2022, 10:57:29 am »
Feel free to filter your events to only enter those run by organisers that run them exactly how you want. There are lots of events in the calendar to choose from and their organisers take a variety of approaches.
Going to be a pretty short list perforated to give info covirdibstes. Best stick to brevets with no info controls

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #1430 on: 09 December, 2022, 04:19:51 pm »
Dumb question - I don't have many days free to ride my RRtY - in fact I have one in Dec, next Sat. On the possibility that there is snow/ice on the ground, I don't want to be on country lanes. But I can build a 3 x 68km London loop to make a 200km - is this still valid for a DIY 200km? Or is there some "ye shalt not do loops" rule for Audax routes?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1431 on: 09 December, 2022, 04:26:56 pm »
Same roads opposite direction = good
Same roads same direction = bad

« Reply #1432 on: 09 December, 2022, 04:35:04 pm »
Thanks.

So I'll need to build a 100km+ loop - so that I can turnaround and return.

Or some sort of daft enterprise - like drawing a flock of reindeer in London roads!

« Reply #1433 on: 09 December, 2022, 05:18:49 pm »
Dumb question - I don't have many days free to ride my RRtY - in fact I have one in Dec, next Sat. On the possibility that there is snow/ice on the ground, I don't want to be on country lanes. But I can build a 3 x 68km London loop to make a 200km - is this still valid for a DIY 200km? Or is there some "ye shalt not do loops" rule for Audax routes?

Plan it to exit London mid day and hit the priority gritted roads and be back in London before Sunset?

« Reply #1434 on: 09 December, 2022, 05:56:12 pm »

Plan it to exit London mid day and hit the priority gritted roads and be back in London before Sunset?

That's a very good idea and makes complete sense. It opens up the routing options as we don't tend to stay below zero in daytime.

Fingers crossed none of this is necessary and we don't get snow, just cold temp. But with 10 of 12 rides in this RRtY series done - I want to have a plan B and C just in case!

« Reply #1435 on: 30 January, 2023, 01:15:35 pm »
I have my first fixed bike arriving in a couple of weeks, so I have a fixed audax question.

I'm looking at fixed wheel challenge, but I will be doing most of my audax's on the geared bikes. I can see some people are listed with 2 points on the fixed challenge, but they have more than 15 points in total.

I'm presuming 2 points are fixed, and 13 are geared?

Also - could those 2 fixed points be 2x100km? I see fixed points are assigned from 100km (for 1 point).

I'm planning to use fixed as an excuse to do some of the excellent 100km rides to squeeze in more riding without necessitating complicated family calendar wrangling at 200km(+). I'm also doing 24+ points on geared (for 2nd RRtY). So it would be a happy bonus to collect a fixed challenge mention together with some lovely new rides.

Have I understood this correctly?

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #1436 on: 30 January, 2023, 01:54:59 pm »
I have my first fixed bike arriving in a couple of weeks, so I have a fixed audax question.

I'm looking at fixed wheel challenge, but I will be doing most of my audax's on the geared bikes. I can see some people are listed with 2 points on the fixed challenge, but they have more than 15 points in total.

I'm presuming 2 points are fixed, and 13 are geared?
That's probably the case yes, in a similar way, I recorded 68 points last year - 18 on fixed and 50 on gears

Also - could those 2 fixed points be 2x100km? I see fixed points are assigned from 100km (for 1 point).
Yes, that's possible.  Could also have been 1x100km with 2 AAA points as these get added to your FWC points total. 

I'm planning to use fixed as an excuse to do some of the excellent 100km rides to squeeze in more riding without necessitating complicated family calendar wrangling at 200km(+). I'm also doing 24+ points on geared (for 2nd RRtY). So it would be a happy bonus to collect a fixed challenge mention together with some lovely new rides.

Have I understood this correctly?
Sounds okay, the only thing to add is that to get your points recorded as part of the fixed wheel challenge you do need to purchase the FWC brevet card and, where possible, get it stamped at the end of the event.
Enjoy the fixed wheel experience, maybe post a picture of your new bike in the 'velo fixie' thread.

« Reply #1437 on: 30 January, 2023, 02:05:55 pm »
Excellent - thanks JonB  :thumbsup:

I'm very excited - I've prevaricated about riding fixed for years and finally pulled my finger out.

I'm getting a Spa Audax Mono in blue (42/17 - 66" on 28mm tyres) - will pop it in Velo Fixie when it arrives.

« Reply #1438 on: 17 February, 2023, 10:12:38 am »
DIY virtual cards:
Is there any way, other than asking the organiser, to see if I have any cards in credit?
I'm pretty certain I do, though not 100%, what happens if I enter and don't have any?
I'm embarrassed to ask the organiser as it wouldn't be the first time and I ought to have kept a better record  :facepalm:

« Reply #1439 on: 17 February, 2023, 10:21:51 am »
Nah, you'd need to ask them. Andy C tells you if you have any left when you've used one, dunno whether the others do the same (and it might depend on how long it is since you rode one!)

« Reply #1440 on: 17 February, 2023, 12:42:34 pm »
Search your emails. Some of them (or maybe just Paudax) give you a statement of number remaining in the footer.

« Reply #1441 on: 17 February, 2023, 12:53:24 pm »
Or just buy 1 or 3. Then you can be sure you have one for your next DIY and will be told how many you have remaining after you've completed it.

« Reply #1442 on: 17 February, 2023, 01:00:13 pm »
Check your PayPal for when you last bought them

« Reply #1443 on: 19 February, 2023, 09:48:19 pm »
The AUK forum page seems to have disappeared, or at least the page when loaded by me is just a blank.  Does anyone know if this is permanent or just a part of a website upgrade?

« Reply #1444 on: 20 February, 2023, 09:29:55 am »
The AUK forum page seems to have disappeared, or at least the page when loaded by me is just a blank.  Does anyone know if this is permanent or just a part of a website upgrade?
Seems okay today.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #1445 on: 20 February, 2023, 09:42:25 am »
Seems okay today.
Doesn't work for me, it doesn't display as blank but as an 'error 500' although I can access it from the old website

« Reply #1446 on: 20 February, 2023, 10:14:59 am »
OK, so I can access it from the old website, but the link from the new website ( http://forum.audax.uk/api/SideDoor.php?token=0361c85d-f47f-4319-9a56-7f7a4e85a01f ) seems not to be working, at least on my machine I just get a blank white page. 

I'll try and post a query via the old website so that the IT team are aware.  I was trying to see what the outcome of the resolution 2 vote was, which I can now see was passed.

Thanks all. Neil   

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1447 on: 20 February, 2023, 11:03:07 am »
My understanding from El Supremo was that the fucking thing passed, because the chairman chucked away their discretionary delegated votes.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1448 on: 20 February, 2023, 11:17:53 am »
My understanding from El Supremo was that the fucking thing passed, because the chairman chucked away their discretionary delegated votes.

What passed?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1449 on: 20 February, 2023, 11:19:41 am »
Points for sub-200s.