Author Topic: What cycling cap?  (Read 23568 times)

What cycling cap?
« on: 25 January, 2012, 11:44:44 pm »
I usually get any old cotton cap from Prendas, like so:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/list.asp?ID=39&typ=typ

But my faves are all getting a bit tatty. Also, they are almost always a little on the tight side. What I'd like is a cotton cap, or maybe something more technical, with a bit of stretch or available in different sizes. I was thinking of this Goretex one, but it might be a bit too warm - some of the reviews suggest that the breathability is a bit lacking:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-signature-ii-gt-cap-gore-tex/

There's also this, I note:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=72459&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

But it's just not me  :)

I just want a light cap, made out of stuff that has a bit of stretch, that looks ok. Or decent looking team caps that are bigger than the one-size-fits- all from Prendas.

Any suggestions?

Re: What cycling cap?
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2012, 11:53:19 pm »
I bought myself a Rapha cap early last year. I also have a large head, and normal caps are always tight on me, leaving a line across my forehead when removed. The Rapha in Large fits me nicely, without that problem. Mine's a Paul Smith variant (now discontinued) but I think that's just a colourway difference.

« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2012, 11:56:44 pm »
I have a large Rapha  :smug:  :), and it isn't too bad across the forehead, but still not quite right for me. I think it has shrunk a bit, maybe. I'd like to be able to wear a very thin Sweatvac hat under the cap to cover my ears when it's a bit chilly, so more room or a bit of stretch is required.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2012, 11:57:11 pm »
I was just thinking about this myself, most cycling caps are a bit small for me.
Gore also make a windstopper cap, it should be a bit more breathable than the waterproof version? http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gore-bike-wear/retro-windstopper-cap-ec016080

Or Walz caps are available in large, and in a variety of materials and styles (including customised). http://walzcaps.com/

« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2012, 11:59:16 pm »
Dunno what it is about Assos stuff, but the way the models pose in their kit always reminds me of a Kraftwerk album cover!

Nice to know there are some fellow cap wearers out there too, upholding standards and cutting a dash (says someone who sports a small faded black Rapha and club biretta).
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2012, 12:02:22 am »
The Rapha / Paul Smith ones (how good is that? Two fashion victim names for the price of one) are extremely nice and beautifully crafted.

Unfortunately they were a limited edition deal - meaning when I tried to score a second one for my other head, they were out of stock and unlikely to be replenished  :(

If you find one anywhere, I'd snap it up.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2012, 12:06:24 am »
I had a Rapha in L; it was still too small for my massive bonce.

I had an Assos Mille and cut the elastic out of the back.  That was okay, if a little tight. 

I have a Craft summer cap, similarly with elastic removed.  That fits me okay, but sadly they don't make them anymore. 

I had an orange cap that I got for £3 at the CTC rally, rather like one that Arabella owns.  That fitted me fine (you guessed it - with elastic removed) but I lost it.

Finally, I bought a Castelli cap in Belgium this year, it fits me perfectly and I haven't even had to get my scissors out! 

« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2012, 12:09:42 am »
Dunno what it is about Assos stuff, but the way the models pose in their kit always reminds me of a Kraftwerk album cover!

I was just saying to Jurek that the Assos Raincap photo above put me in mind of the Pet Shop Boys. I quite like that about Assos, that slightly contrived advertising.   

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2012, 12:11:33 am »
I had an Assos Mille and cut the elastic out of the back.  That was okay, if a little tight. 

That reminds me, a normal Assos cotton cap is not too bad size-wise. My black one is totally washed out and seems to be going purple in parts. Can't find the equivalent available to buy right now.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2012, 12:23:15 am »

That reminds me, a normal Assos cotton cap is not too bad size-wise. My black one is totally washed out and seems to be going purple in parts. Can't find the equivalent available to buy right now.

I had one of those once upon a time, but it was a bit small even with the elastic removed.  The Mille seemed to be a little bit bigger.

« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2012, 12:32:22 am »
My Rapha caps are the only ones that don't blow off my head on the Severn Bridge never to be seen again. However Mine if probably the opposite problem, getting caps small enough not to fall off!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2012, 08:09:25 am »
My only cycling cap is a L'Eroica one.  Not easy to get hold of one without riding it ;)

TGL mostly wears his LCEF cap, which is pretty good quality.
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2012, 08:34:50 am »
Winter headwear has more options than warmer weather headwear.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #13 on: 26 January, 2012, 08:38:28 am »
Style-wise I like the Waltz caps. Lost mine on PBP leading a group in a mad dash to Dreux. There, one of the very friendly Italian wheelsuckers gave me his green Buff-alike... oh happy times.  Anyway I replaced it with a Mavic cap, which I prefer as the fabric is lighter than the Waltz + 'is more technical, with a bit of stretch'. That's the cap I am speaking of:

Mavic Roadie Cap
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #14 on: 26 January, 2012, 09:17:11 am »
In the winter I wear an Endura Baa Baa skull cap ( no peak ) and that is lovely.  It keeps my head warm and even when I stop and it is wet my head does not get cold because the merino wool stays warm.

However, in the warmer times I wear a cap to stop the sunburn and also to keep the sweat out of my eyes.  I have always used cotton type caps but the biggest drawback is the smell of them ( after a couple of weeks of use ).

That last Mavic one looks interesting but it also looks quite warm.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #15 on: 26 January, 2012, 09:19:04 am »
I also used to buy any old cap, but found they shrank after only a few washes and end up being so tight I get headaches (pressing on a nerve I suppose). I read somewhere that Campagnolo caps were made of better material and didn't shrink so I bought a couple off ebay for £15. I marked one on the label to make sure only one was regularly washed - and yes, they don't shrink nowhere near as much. It's getting a bit tight now so I'll retire it at the end of the winter (it's been washed twice a week for 2 winters). The Campagnolo logo and rainbow stripes are cooler than anything that Rapha can even dream about.

Assos ones have been good as well, but more expensive and not as durable.

« Reply #16 on: 26 January, 2012, 09:40:22 am »
Totally agree on the shrinking.  My yACF ones were terrible for that and they were only washed with all my other cycling clothes.
The Assos ones have the mesh at the rear and that somehow seems to get tight after the wash but soon stretches again once on.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #17 on: 26 January, 2012, 10:11:34 am »
That last Mavic one looks interesting but it also looks quite warm.
It is not a warm cap, made out light cycling jersey fabric. I also wear it as a rain shield for my glasses.

In the winter I wear an Endura Baa Baa skull cap ( no peak ) and that is lovely.  It keeps my head warm and even when I stop and it is wet my head does not get cold because the merino wool stays warm.

Speaking of Endura's merino offerings I was also tempted by their roadie-ish cap

Baa Baa Merino Flat Cap
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #18 on: 26 January, 2012, 10:15:28 am »
I also used to buy any old cap, but found they shrank after only a few washes and end up being so tight I get headaches (pressing on a nerve I suppose). I read somewhere that Campagnolo caps were made of better material and didn't shrink so I bought a couple off ebay for £15. I marked one on the label to make sure only one was regularly washed - and yes, they don't shrink nowhere near as much. It's getting a bit tight now so I'll retire it at the end of the winter (it's been washed twice a week for 2 winters). The Campagnolo logo and rainbow stripes are cooler than anything that Rapha can even dream about.

I like the style of the Campagnolo ones, but they are just a fraction tight for me (I wore them pretty much exclusively for a few years and have three different colours). For shrinkage, I handwash my caps in warm water, which keeps them clean and sweet smelling but doesn't make them shrink (or have the peak going soft and then setting in a strange shape when cooled down).

« Reply #19 on: 26 January, 2012, 10:52:33 am »
That Mavic cap comes up small compared to Rapha/Assos. I can only wear it after a haircut. Giro have some caps I think and they are bringing out a tech.cap for summer. Some firms like Nike do mesh running caps but the brims may not sit right in use with a helmet

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #20 on: 26 January, 2012, 12:31:39 pm »
If somebody came out with a classy-looking, cheap and cheerful cap in quality non-shrinking cotton (like Campagnolo or Assos) in 3 sizes (S, M, L) they'd be on to a winner.

« Reply #21 on: 26 January, 2012, 01:59:01 pm »
Walz look as if they might do the job. Will take a tape measure to my head later.

« Reply #22 on: 26 January, 2012, 05:54:58 pm »
Every year at the Cheshire Ploughing and Hedgecutting competition a firm called Environmental Crop Management http://www.ecmltd.co.uk/ hand out free baseball caps to the hedging competitors, I get one of those and cut the peak down with a pair of scissors. The old ones say 'Profitable Crops Safely' on them.
Cycling caps are too small, baseball caps are adjustable.

« Reply #23 on: 26 January, 2012, 07:12:48 pm »
http://www.samcycling.com/caps-c-88.html

I got one of their Campag ones, appears to be cotton, washed it several times, doesn't appear to have shrunk or stretched - and never blown off my head yet.   I think I'm just below average head circumference but not sure.

« Reply #24 on: 26 January, 2012, 07:49:21 pm »

Baa Baa Merino Flat Cap

Oh poop.  Why did you have to tell me about that  ;D ;D ;D  ::-)