Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 178497 times)

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #275 on: 04 March, 2017, 10:05:39 am »
I saw him last night at McDonalds - he seemed in great spirits, looked in great shape and seems to have a fab team around him... and I met his mum!

Best of luck  :)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #276 on: 04 March, 2017, 11:48:26 am »
I'm guessing it is a SW wind today.

Go Steve!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #277 on: 04 March, 2017, 06:54:49 pm »
I hope Jo has sharpened all his pencils.

The tracker linked from Steve's page only shows the last 50 points, and puts them on the map with blooming great icons, not really suited to viewing on a smartphone or small tablet screen.  I seem to remember there was a much neater display on the first attempt.  Was this on a different site, and/or have I missed some obvious settings screen?

Also, first time round there was a display of speed since the last point - I can't find how to get this displayed.

Bryn

« Reply #278 on: 04 March, 2017, 09:22:33 pm »
Decent enough start.

« Reply #279 on: 04 March, 2017, 10:22:26 pm »
319.6 mile opening day.

red marley

« Reply #280 on: 04 March, 2017, 11:40:43 pm »

Much as I'd like to do another year of daily visualizations, the service I had been using to extract location and time data from Strava has been shut down, so I am currently a bit stuck. If anyone knows of a way of downloading Steve's Strava files as a GPX that includes timestamps, I'd love to know (the Strava Premium GPX download simply downloads the lat/long positions along the day's route, but not the timestamps).

« Reply #281 on: 04 March, 2017, 11:47:44 pm »
From http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0xphW4GIkuk1vBUF3WeNCy1puogaR4PDv

That's a bit rubbish, isn't it?    ???

Yes, from our point of view.

Although I suppose it's UMCA approved so does its job in that respect.

I've been struggling to catch up on this one too :(        The facebook posts of videos and BBC news all seem to be dead links already, and the spot tracker doesn't seem to show the ride.    Looks like I'll be trawling here and other social media trying to track progress.

Good luck Steve, wish you all the best this time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #282 on: 04 March, 2017, 11:56:28 pm »
Strava shows the whole ride (and salient statistics) at the end of the day, but I think you have to be logged in: https://www.strava.com/athletes/1419435

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #283 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:29:13 am »
Much as I'd like to do another year of daily visualizations, the service I had been using to extract location and time data from Strava has been shut down, so I am currently a bit stuck. If anyone knows of a way of downloading Steve's Strava files as a GPX that includes timestamps, I'd love to know (the Strava Premium GPX download simply downloads the lat/long positions along the day's route, but not the timestamps).

Would the spot track points provide enough resolution?  They could be scraped I should think.  We'd need to verify the timestamps are when taken not when uploaded, sometimes the points are very delayed showing up.

[ETA] No need to scrape if Steve will share his account password with you:
https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=209
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #284 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:50:16 am »
Strava shows the whole ride (and salient statistics) at the end of the day, but I think you have to be logged in: https://www.strava.com/athletes/1419435
I was a bit worried that Strava shows Steve as having 'no goal' but mollified somewhat be seeing that he has 'joined a challenge'

« Reply #285 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:52:24 am »
More worrying is that he's joined the March Running Distance Challenge on Strava.

(At least I can beat him in one challenge...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

red marley

« Reply #286 on: 05 March, 2017, 10:50:06 am »
Would the spot track points provide enough resolution?  They could be scraped I should think.  We'd need to verify the timestamps are when taken not when uploaded, sometimes the points are very delayed showing up.

Thanks for the suggestion. At the moment I am still trying to work with the Strava data as these are more detailed and reliable. Greenback provided some useful guidance on how to approach this which I am currently working on and I think I may have a workable solution. Just need some time to test it.

« Reply #287 on: 05 March, 2017, 11:41:01 am »
Thanks for the suggestion. At the moment I am still trying to work with the Strava data as these are more detailed and reliable. Greenback provided some useful guidance on how to approach this which I am currently working on and I think I may have a workable solution. Just need some time to test it.
Get in contact with Ben from Veloviewer.com
Sure he can sort something out.

« Reply #288 on: 05 March, 2017, 12:22:46 pm »
I've been a bit busy with other stuff, could resurrect a tracking page again, but probably not before the end of the week. This would have a GPX download option, as I'll build on the stuff I've done for the TCR.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #289 on: 05 March, 2017, 02:47:48 pm »
I've been a bit busy with other stuff, could resurrect a tracking page again, but probably not before the end of the week. This would have a GPX download option, as I'll build on the stuff I've done for the TCR.

If you could I'm sure it would be well received.

Yours was the only tracker I used last time, not least because the official one gave a script error on my MacBook.

« Reply #290 on: 05 March, 2017, 07:28:57 pm »
it would be well received

Certainly would!! And, I'll take the chance to say thanks again for last time Ivan. But, I guess you've got much more than enough to do already.

Phil W

« Reply #291 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:27:52 pm »

For the website last time we called Strava over the public API using an auth token we generated for public access (public rides and read only access). This gives access to all the public strava ride data including a GPX download if you want. We used this to show cumulative distance on front page plus validation links for the past 21 days worth of rides for UCMA. I'm not involved this time as I declined due to LEL taking up enough time as it is.

Just checked and I can see the auth token is still valid as secret validation links I produced for UCMA validation still works. Your best approach would be to approach Dave Bartlet who is crew chief this time round and come to an agreement on access to the Strava data. The api talks json assuming your wrangling skills include that format. It's fairly easy to understand and work with the api.

« Reply #292 on: 05 March, 2017, 11:19:58 pm »
I am happy to help someone set this up. We were going to do it at work but are swamped at the moment. I have access to Steves strata account. Pm me if serious.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #293 on: 05 March, 2017, 11:31:57 pm »
He's logged 369km, including a visit to Cyclechat's favourite pylon.  Pretty good second day!

Samuel D

« Reply #294 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:08:11 am »
Why such big rides? Does anyone know the thinking behind this?

Go Steve!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #295 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:21:07 am »
Amanda's daily average is 231.23mi (372.13km) and rising.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #296 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:25:07 am »

Go Steve!

Day 1: get a big total on the board to buy a bit of psychological breathing room?

Day 2 (369km - 229 miles) - this is just (!) pretty much exactly the average required to hit the kind of total Amanda coker is likely to post.  Steve can't average less than this if he's to take the record.

(It looks likely Amanda will finish on soemwhere in the region of 84,000 miles which is ~230 miles per day.  369km is, give or take a mile, bang on this average).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Samuel D

« Reply #297 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:30:47 am »
I see. The whole endeavour is hard to even think about!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #298 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:31:00 am »

Go Steve!

Day 1: get a big total on the board to buy a bit of psychological breathing room?

Day 2 (369km - 229 miles) - this is just (!) pretty much exactly the average required to hit the kind of total Amanda coker is likely to post.  Steve can't average less than this if he's to take the record.

(It looks likely Amanda will finish on soemwhere in the region of 84,000 miles which is ~230 miles per day.  369km is, give or take a mile, bang on this average).

Yup.

I think with Day1, he found the midnight start worked well last year. For that to give you any benefit you need to keep riding all day and post a big number - otherwise you're only 'on schedule', but sleep deprived, which is no way to start!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #299 on: 06 March, 2017, 08:59:01 pm »

Go Steve!

================================================

Only one big ride being the first day giving him 90 mls in the bank

His previous target was 206 mls which he wasn't able to maintain.  Hopefully now with the new diet and stragegy he'll be able to beat Tommy's record and if things go super well then the higher record as well.