Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo XXVI - 28th July 2018  (Read 10107 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Dunwich Dynamo XXVI - 28th July 2018
« Reply #50 on: 29 July, 2018, 09:26:57 pm »
I can't digest food at night and have to run on empty.  This is one reason I like to cover the first half non-stop and very fast - the second half is pretty hard going at fat-burning speed.

How are you at digesting BEER, thobut?  It appears that regular consumption of Essex Energy Drinks™ is a winning strategy...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #51 on: 29 July, 2018, 09:36:40 pm »
Apparently sone unfortunate died on the DD. The only info on FB was that he “became ill” and that he was called Dominic. Very sad.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #52 on: 30 July, 2018, 09:55:21 am »
Sadly I saw two separate people being given CPR on the road, something I’ve never seen before on any ride, or any other situation. An older guy near Epping, which was a suspected heart attack from what I overheard. Another near Finchingfield. Neither looked like the result of a collision. I haven’t figured out which one was Dominic.

Condolences.

« Reply #53 on: 30 July, 2018, 11:45:14 am »
Sadly I saw two separate people being given CPR on the road, something I’ve never seen before on any ride, or any other situation. An older guy near Epping, which was a suspected heart attack from what I overheard. Another near Finchingfield. Neither looked like the result of a collision. I haven’t figured out which one was Dominic.

The latter was a woman so FWIW I think Dominic must have been the first.

« Reply #54 on: 30 July, 2018, 12:17:18 pm »
The latter I saw had a big bushy beard. There weren’t three were there?!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #55 on: 30 July, 2018, 03:46:45 pm »
If you like this sort of thing take a look at the website of the Friday Night Ride to the Coast

https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/augustwhitstable

We do a dozen or so rides a year, at night, starting at 12 from South Bank in London and going to the coast for breakfast then take the train back.
The next is Whitstable in a couple of weeks or so. Membership is needed at a whopping £2 a year, you can do all our rides for 12 months after you've joined for that.
There's a week touring Europe every year, we are just back from Normandy.
No one left behind, we have a back marker and pride ourselves on being friendly and inclusive.
Over to you.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #56 on: 30 July, 2018, 07:01:56 pm »
I did my first Dynamo this year. Loved it! I rode it mostly alone and arrived just before 4am.

Riding in such peace was wonderful. Just the sound of the chain and tyres for company. Will definitely be back.

Thanks to RZ. His tales of the Dynamo many years ago put it in my ride plans. I wish I hadn't left it so long to have a go.

« Reply #57 on: 30 July, 2018, 08:35:16 pm »
The latter I saw had a big bushy beard. There weren’t three were there?!

I think there must have been. I saw the one near Epping (helpfully redirected by police around a giant diversion to find them reopening the road at the other end) and the second I saw was two women; according to another rider, one of them was having palpitations but both of them were doctors so it wasn't as bad as it might have been.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #58 on: 30 July, 2018, 09:01:12 pm »
I did my first Dynamo this year. Loved it! I rode it mostly alone and arrived just before 4am.

Riding in such peace was wonderful. Just the sound of the chain and tyres for company. Will definitely be back.

Thanks to RZ. His tales of the Dynamo many years ago put it in my ride plans. I wish I hadn't left it so long to have a go.
;D I never knew you had it in you.   There are dark hours (literally and metaphysically) but it's like being reborn when the sun rises.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #59 on: 01 August, 2018, 11:49:01 am »

Condolences.

RIP Dominic Turner
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/dunwich-dynamo-ride-kind-and-loving-father-39-dies-after-collapsing-on-120mile-cycle-to-the-coast-a3900256.html
Dominic Turner, 39, from Walthamstow, was cycling in the Dunwich Dynamo ride from London to Suffolk on Saturday when he fell ill.
The cycling enthusiast  is understood to have collapsed in Finchingfield near Braintree in Essex during the ride between London Fields in Hackney and the Suffolk coast.

« Reply #60 on: 02 August, 2018, 07:56:47 pm »

;D I never knew you had it in you.   There are dark hours (literally and metaphysically) but it's like being reborn when the sun rises.

The sunrise was the only disappointment. Waited on the beach/cafe for over an hour then this orange-ish thing appeared very briefly on the horizon... then buggered off into the clouds!