Author Topic: Weight Loss using Fasting  (Read 14819 times)

py

Re: Weight Loss using Fasting
« Reply #75 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:51:08 am »
I am aware that i eat when tired mentally or depressed. So this week which was planned for months as a productive video week has turned into a nightmare week and has a real possibility of eating too much so i am being very careful and self reassuring.

I've been trying to hone in on what my triggers are and those that you mention are the same for me. I've been slowly winning the war against them in terms of how they affect eating habits though.

« Reply #76 on: 18 June, 2018, 12:45:40 pm »
I am trying to sort out some more counselling so hopefully that will help in all areas.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #77 on: 19 June, 2018, 12:34:29 am »
I really, REALLY, need to lose a LOT of weight. Around 95lbs to get to a "Moderately Overweight" level. Looking at the intermittent fasting thing.
One worry/query is down to a Broken Pituitary gland giving me Diabetes Insipidus, as well as being type 2 Mellitus, I need to get through a fairly constant intake of liquid all day and night.
A lot of this is water, no sugar added cordials and the like. I do drink a lot of coffee, with Milk unless I stick to Espresso. Is the whole milk I use in coffee a Problem on "Fasting Days"? I'd probably use 3/4 of a pint, in total, through 24 hours.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #78 on: 19 June, 2018, 01:19:09 am »
Whole milk is 3-4% fat and around 5% sugar.

¾ pint will contain 300 kcal around 13g fat 17g sugar. This is neither HUGE nor insignificant. If your 'fasts' allow 600 kcal, that's half your allowance and you should include it in your 'budget'

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #79 on: 19 June, 2018, 02:17:32 am »
Thanks Helly'. Considering the amount of Carb's and Associated BAD that I binge on, every day, that's Not too bad. I'll try to cut down on the coffee with milk on the Important days. Every day, I ought to reduce the Coffee intake anyway.
Not certain what 'Rotation' to try yet. I think I'll try and use up, in smaller portions, the Bad stuff in cupboards/freezer/fridge and not give myself the temptation of "I can't afford to waste food, I'll just eat this HUGE dish of Pasta, with fried onions, grated cheese and Mayo' all mixed up to Neutron Density Stodge.
I have a bad, and colourful, reaction to Sea Food and Tea. I suppose a Fish Oil supplement would help, I get a minor, slightly unpleasant reaction but not enough to worry me. As for Hot Drinks... Any suggestions for Herb, or fruit, teas that are tasty and, even, helpful in Flushing bad out and helping promote  health? I like (Preferably micro-nuked) scrambled egg, that is, I believe, a good protein source. I'm not shy of eating dead animal so,maybe one day a week, some liver. Open to any and all Guidance, advice and suggestions on the whole subject. I'm not safe to cook much, memory problems= Fire, if I'm not involved all the time. £££ are in short supply as Bills seem to come in second place to cycling stuff, when "I'm not in charge of my own head", a fairly frequent situation.

"Your Mission, should you choose to accept it......." Etc.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #80 on: 19 June, 2018, 03:01:42 am »
I don't think a HUGE plate of pasta is a good idea on any day, really. That's a HUGE glycaemic load for a diabetic.

Microwave cooking is both safe and economical. I do loads as I'm not safe at a stove but fuel use is minimal which would be good for your budget.Suggest stewed apple. Some carbs but not excessive:
Cut flesh off Bramley, with peel if you can take this. Put into dish, add 75ml water.
Zap for 5 minutes on full.
Mash with potato masher. Add 15g raisins, mix and store in fridge. Raisins will absorb excess moisture and sweeten apple. No added sugar needed.

Microwaved carrots are lovely; peel, slice, zap; that is all.
Frozen veg microwaves in a few minutes.

Frozen peas can be a good snack cold.

py

« Reply #81 on: 19 June, 2018, 04:06:08 pm »
Changing my diet has been a gradual process over a number of years. I previously tried to do a straight cut over from not great food to healthy food and it just didn't work for me.

An example would be my breakfast. I used to eat Corn Flakes with sugar or Frosties with mile for breakfast. I swapped those cereals for weetabix with milk and sugar. Then I gradually dropped the sugar. Then I switched to porridge with milk and some fruit for sweetness. Now I've dropped the milk and make the porridge with water but still add fruit. That's probably a 2 year process for me as I knew from prior experience going from Frosties to water based porridge and fruit wouldn't work.

py

« Reply #82 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:51:46 am »
Am back doing intermittent fasting after my 8 days of water fasting. Weight has stabilised at 100-101Kg after glycogen + water levels got back to normal so a net loss of 5-6Kg over those 8 days.

« Reply #83 on: 17 July, 2018, 10:29:19 am »
I tried intermittent fasting for a while, but ultimately it made me miserable (I just like eating I guess). Switched to a reduced calorie intake and took up a vegetarian diet, it's been about 3 months and I've dropped 24lbs.

With that said, I know people who have lost a ton of weight through fasting.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #84 on: 27 July, 2018, 03:52:51 pm »
I tried two days' water fasting while on holiday to get rid of some excess weight gained in restaurants and family meals. Despite 35 degrees celsius heat I managed fine on 3 litres approx. of water per day.

I will now try to do the water fasting for two days, one week per month, substituting for my usual 5:2 regime which I will continue for the other three weeks a month. Will see how it goes...
Embrace your inner Fred.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #85 on: 29 July, 2018, 11:15:05 pm »
Just back from 3 weeks eating and drinking my way around France.

All bets are off when I'm on holiday but I now use fasting to get my weight back under control.

I ate last Sunday then just water, black coffee or fruit tea on Monday, Tuesday and up to Wednesday dinner, when I had a big meal.  Thursday I ate once at 6pm then went on my club cycle ride for a couple of pints.  On Friday morning i had my weekly weigh in and I'd dropped 5Kg.  It's easy for me to shed weight like that initially but it will slow up.  I'll stick with zero meals Monday & Tuesday then try to stick with one meal a day Wed/Thu/Fri.

I'd expect to lose at least 1kg-2kg per week consistently doing that.

Once I get back to target weight I'll stick to the 1 meal a day routine which I find fairly easy and gives good results.  I have a few social evenings coming up, otherwise I'd really like to try a 7-14 water fast.

I almost never do breakfast any more.  I don't miss it and it totally undermines intermittent fasting.  Breakfast was a habit for me.  It turns out I'm not actually hungry in the morning, it was just something that Kellogs said i should be doing.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #86 on: 01 August, 2018, 06:42:47 am »
Sorry if I’ve failed to spot any reference to Dr Freeman and Team Sky further up.

Anyway, in his book “ The Line” Dr Freeman records training in the “ purple zone” - I.e. fasted. Apparently both Wiggins and Thomas are athletes who are able to maintain the regime well.

It’s a great book, with a proper scientific and medical basis. If you’re looking for a big expose of any dodgy practices, this isn’t the book for you. If you want to learn more about the optimum preparation of competitive cyclists, backed up with science, then it’s a great and useful read.

« Reply #87 on: 01 August, 2018, 07:43:23 am »
Do not read if a Belieber

(click to show/hide)