Author Topic: Proper old school greasy spoons  (Read 17541 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Proper old school greasy spoons
« Reply #150 on: 22 November, 2017, 09:13:05 am »
I'm trying to imagine the reaction of people in Poland to eating chips with gravy. Or curry sauce. They think vinegar's weird enough. Mayonnaise or ketchup they can cope with.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #151 on: 22 November, 2017, 09:33:10 am »
They'd probably disavow poutine then.

« Reply #152 on: 22 November, 2017, 09:55:49 am »
The real chip divide is between oil and fat. I can see that beef dripping has advantages, but it congeals on fingers and lips.

I'm interested in the cultural role of 'Hot Pot' in Lancashire and South Cumbria. It comes in those big school meal flat tins, and is meat and potato, with a crust on top. It's served with pickled beetroot and pickled red cabbage. It's rarely seen in cafes, but is served at community events, often church quizzes and the like. There's a whole industry devoted to providing hot pot suppers. https://www.hotpotsuppercompany.co.ukhttps://www.hotpotsuppercompany.co.uk

There's always been a veggie option, as it's traditional for Fridays in a strongly Catholic area. The ultimate would have apple pie with cheese as a dessert.

You might never encounter 'Hot Pot', if you didn't go to communal events.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #153 on: 22 November, 2017, 11:39:41 am »
They'd probably disavow poutine then.

I really have to scoff some of that the next time I'm in Canuckistan.  Is it really as awsum as the concept?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #154 on: 22 November, 2017, 12:18:43 pm »
Poutine won't win a beauty contest, it sounds like a insult (you feelthy poutine), and like all proper Englishmen I distrust anything even vaguely French, but it's oddly quite tasty. Chips, cheese, gravy. It's pretty much like eating an entire northerner, except that the chips are in a tray rather than on the shoulder.

Mind you, the only time I lived in Ottawa was over the winter, during the ice storms and minus 30s/40s, so I was cold enough to superconduct. I'd would have eaten anything hot and calorific.

« Reply #155 on: 22 November, 2017, 04:53:46 pm »
I'm interested in the cultural role of 'Hot Pot' in Lancashire and South Cumbria. It comes in those big school meal flat tins, and is meat and potato, with a crust on top. It's served with pickled beetroot and pickled red cabbage. It's rarely seen in cafes, but is served at community events, often church quizzes and the like. There's a whole industry devoted to providing hot pot suppers. https://www.hotpotsuppercompany.co.ukhttps://www.hotpotsuppercompany.co.uk

There's always been a veggie option, as it's traditional for Fridays in a strongly Catholic area. The ultimate would have apple pie with cheese as a dessert.

You might never encounter 'Hot Pot', if you didn't go to communal events.
As a barn dance caller who used to live in Wigan I've had a lot of hotpot over the years. The band used to score them out of 10 and we'd always give a special mention at the end of the evening for a 10. Very good cheap fuel for communal events. Much better than the 'ploughman's' we tend to get down here.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #156 on: 22 November, 2017, 05:34:38 pm »
When I was a younger man, I used to play guitar in a modern, contemporary, popular music band. For some reason I cannot remember or fathom, we were booked for a gig in Wigan. Afterwards we went to a chip shop and I had the best (meat of unspecified origin) pie I've ever had.

The pies are the only thing that would entice me to return to Wigan  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #157 on: 23 November, 2017, 02:55:00 pm »
When I was a younger man, I used to play guitar in a modern, contemporary, popular music band. For some reason I cannot remember or fathom, we were booked for a gig in Wigan. Afterwards we went to a chip shop and I had the best (meat of unspecified origin) pie I've ever had.
So basically you are saying that Wigan pies are without peer?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #158 on: 23 November, 2017, 03:06:31 pm »

:) ;D

« Reply #159 on: 23 November, 2017, 08:12:24 pm »
I 'grew up' in the Hollies on the A5 between Cannock and Gailey. HQ for many TT's and reliability trials when I started cycling back in the 70s and a regular stop on training/club runs.

I once braved the upstairs rooms to change for a time trial. I think that inoculations were a pre-requisite.

It’s now been bought by a chap who has a vision of a chain of good quality, attractive stops for what presumably are now called logistic transport operative executives. I don’t know how many others he has now, but the old Hollies is certainly no more. There is a rumour that there is salad on the menu now!

« Reply #160 on: 23 November, 2017, 08:25:00 pm »

It took me quite a while to get that, but now I do  ;D
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #161 on: 23 November, 2017, 09:13:27 pm »
Orwell that ends well...

« Reply #162 on: 24 November, 2017, 03:43:55 am »
I 'grew up' in the Hollies on the A5 between Cannock and Gailey. HQ for many TT's and reliability trials when I started cycling back in the 70s and a regular stop on training/club runs.

I once braved the upstairs rooms to change for a time trial. I think that inoculations were a pre-requisite.

It’s now been bought by a chap who has a vision of a chain of good quality, attractive stops for what presumably are now called logistic transport operative executives. I don’t know how many others he has now, but the old Hollies is certainly no more. There is a rumour that there is salad on the menu now!
There's two, the other is just outside Holyhead, open late but not 24hrs.
http://www.rktruckstops.co.uk/locations/