Author Topic: Elderly, 80 year old, cyclists have the body of a twenty year old  (Read 5329 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Elderly, 80 year old, cyclists have the body of a twenty year old
« Reply #25 on: 16 March, 2018, 02:16:55 pm »
What's the point in these reminders?

There is always someone who hears this for the first time or hears it at a point in their life when the penny drops and they are ready to act on the advice.

And with any luck, they might be in a position to make decisions about allocation of transport resources...

(I think that's the point.  SCIENCE that states the obvious seems pointless at an individual level, but can be useful for making informed policy decisions.  Sadly those are an increasingly rare form of policy decision.)

Ben T

« Reply #26 on: 17 March, 2018, 10:31:38 pm »
There simply isn't any spare time.
There is. It's just you haven't got it.  :P :)

(For a start don't "go" shopping. Get it delivered. If you want more time saving tips I'm sure I could give you some in a new thread)

« Reply #27 on: 18 March, 2018, 09:51:14 am »
There simply isn't any spare time.
There is. It's just you haven't got it.  :P :)

(For a start don't "go" shopping. Get it delivered. If you want more time saving tips I'm sure I could give you some in a new thread)
Do you have anyone else to cook and care for, Ben?  Do you have a job where you are expected to work 10-12 hours a day, plus 2.5hours commuting? If not, I suggest you shut up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #28 on: 19 March, 2018, 09:45:13 pm »
OT but: only works if you don't care what you get; I like to chose my own veg (greengrocer), buy today's bread (baker), buy only so much meat (butcher), see what's on offer at the co-op (grocer).  Plus I can do it all en route.  Why would I want to spend time looking at pictures/lists of foodstuffs on line and only be able to get pre-determined weights/amounts?  Plus I want there to be local shops when I'm old and infirm so it makes sense to support them in the meantime.
Last time I had the misfortune to go to a stupormarket it didn't like my bag. That'll teach me to avoid the real people cashiers.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #29 on: 29 March, 2018, 04:35:46 pm »
I think the time aspect is really important and, on this site at least, talking to the converted.

But with a young family or even an older family but long work hours, I can see how difficult it could be.

I do still try and commute on my bike, and walk as much as I can but its not easy to fit everything in. Walking is easier but just takes longer (although by the time you lock a bike up etc, sometimes you may just have walked it)