Author Topic: If you are after a pocketable interchangable lens camera (M43 in this case)...  (Read 3029 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Then this is a bit of a bargain at the moment - especially as the lowest price for that lens is £250

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Panasonic/Panasonic-G-System-Cameras/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GX800-Camera-with-12-32mm-Lens

+1
I've had mine since Dec 2016 and still impressed every time I pick it up.  I thought it good value when it was £150 dearer.
The lens is also pretty decent, I use it on a smaller body, the GX deserves better.  Even on ebay the lens rarely sells for less than £125.

tonycollinet

Which is the smaller body then the GX800?

That is mighty tempting at £299

The discontinued GM1
Though it turns out my GX isn't this one but the GX80 - too many similar sounding models or to few brain cells - either way it's reassuring to see the price of that hasn't dropped much, though no doubt it will as soon as a newer model is announced.

tonycollinet

Ah - the gx80 is quite a bit bigger. The Gx800 is still a little larger than the GM1 though - around 8mm wider and 10mm taller

The discontinued GM1

Or the also discontinued GM5, which I have and is brilliant. 

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
I've got the GX1 coupled to the excellent G Vario 1:4/7-14mm ASPH lens.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Yes, the GX800 is a great little camera. Nice size to fit in your pocket, with the kit lens. Also fits in an Alpkit Stem Cell, handy for on the bike.
Also good with a small prime, eg the 25mm F1.7.
The tilt screen is very useful, and wifi, and USB charging.
And the 4K features are good fun, can be used like a super fast burst mode, or clever stuff with focus stacking.

Looks like a real bargain but I've just dropped my £299 on a new pair of Opticron Countryman 12x50 bins from Wex. 

I already have both an Opticron monocular and a pair of their bins, both 10x42 which are excellent.  A little more magnification will be very helpful for me.   

Ah - the gx80 is quite a bit bigger. The Gx800 is still a little larger than the GM1 though - around 8mm wider and 10mm taller
yes, now I've looked the GX800 is closer to the GM1 than the GX80, though you have to handle a GM to appreciate just how small it is, too small for some which is why the previous owner sold me theirs. The GM also makes a good few compromises for that size, no tilt screen, 4K, slower burst rate, few physical controls, and it was never going to be a budget option.  Still, it has the same sensor as the GX80 (And GX800?) and in most circumstances capable of the same results, I'm glad it's not my only camera, though it's become my most used.
Although I have no experience of the GX800, I have had Panasonic M43s since the start, GX1>GF3>GX80>GM1 the only one I didn't like was the GF3 and that was more to do with handling than results. I'd still be happy with the GX1 if I hadn't dropped it :-[  have no doubt that the GX800 would also suite me. The 4K and Wi-Fi are a bit gimmicky, but no less fun for that. 

Samuel D

The GM also makes a good few compromises for that size, no tilt screen, 4K, slower burst rate, few physical controls, and it was never going to be a budget option.

One reason it wasn’t cheap was that both the GM1 and GM5 were nicely made with metal housings, etc.

Panasonic also had to recoup the costs of innovation in the shutter. The stepper-motor-driven shutter should be added to your list of compromises above, because although it was only one-fifth the size of a conventional shutter driven by clockwork and springs, it had a slow flash-synch speed due to the lower speed of the curtains traversing the gate.

The GM5 sort of sums up Panasonic’s approach to cameras for years. It was innovative, practically useful, and loved by owners – but the marketing was off-key (I like pretty young people as much as anyone but they were never realistically the target audience of this sophisticated, expensive camera), the quality was too high for the market to bear, and the camera was more than a sum of its parts – something the spec-obsessed market rarely rewards.

I craved a GM5 more than any other camera I never got. Maybe I’ll get one yet although the used prices are off-putting.