Author Topic: Head torch for running  (Read 3154 times)

Head torch for running
« on: 28 March, 2018, 07:52:03 am »
Yes I know, it's just coming up to spring so why now?  Well, preparation, that's why.  I'm looking for a suitable head torch with a good bright light and a battery life of at least 2 hours.  Rechargeable would be good but not essential but relatively light weight is preferred.  Build quality, ruggedness and waterproofness are important.

Any recommendations please?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Head torch for running
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2018, 07:59:04 am »
I tend to go for the AAA battery versions, just easier to deal with on an ad-hoc basis and they tend to last pretty well.

I have an LED Lenser these days, and it works OK for your typical urban park, light offroading etc.  I use it in the lanes around the villages here and it's perfectly good on road in the dark.  I'd not use it for something like the Spine Race or UTMB though, but I suspect that's not your aim either
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2018, 08:30:59 am »
Indeed Dave.  it would be for illuminating the 1km loop round our local rec which is fully tarmacked.   Boring but incredibly safe for visually challenged bears.  I was there this morning as dawn was breaking: it was remarkably pleasant. 

I'll put LED Lenser on my list with Femix and Petzl.   Thanks.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2018, 10:54:35 pm »
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/headlamps-and-lanterns/sprinter-headlamp-BD620630SBLUALL1.html#start=5

Black Diamond Sprinter. Rechargeable, sturdy, weather resistant and has a red taillight for when you're running on roads. Having the battery pack in back of your head means that the headlamp will stay in place better when you're running, without having to cinch it down quite so tight. A bit spendy, but it is well made and reasonably powerful. Sorry about the US-centric link, I'm assuming that a UK retailer will stock it as well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2018, 11:32:03 pm »
I only run to escape dogs and avoid missing trains, but I was also thinking the strap-over-the-head design with the battery pack at the rear would have a significant advantage in terms of staying put.  I find I have to do my one-box-on-a-band type up quite tight if I'm doing a lot of bending over type stuff.  (Long hair probably doesn't help, by acting as a lubricant.)

As for AAA vs USB charging:  Depends.  I like USB charging, because I can just plug it in when I'm finished using it and it's always ready to go.  AAAs meant arsing about with [irritatingly odd numbers of] batteries and chargers.  OTOH, there's a lot to be said for being able to carry or easily buy spare cells.  I don't think it's going to matter much for this application.

« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2018, 02:34:59 pm »
I was also thinking the strap-over-the-head design with the battery pack at the rear would have a significant advantage in terms of staying put.
I'd have thought it would be just about essential, given the inherent bounce of running.

I'd go for a Fenix HP25R;
1x18650 charging via a USB plug in the light, battery at the back with an over-the-top strap, 2.5 hours on high (350 lm) flood for running, good spot and a red flashy options for use as an emergency/puncture bike light.
You can also get 18650s that charge directly from a micro USB lead, for use as a spare, should you not trust your ability to remember to keep it charged.

Not cheap though.

« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2018, 07:43:00 pm »
I've got an Alpkit one, light enough, bright enough for me running on unlit out of town cyclepath routes at night. (Not sure how much extra light you need.) I replace the batteries too infrequently to remember. Has a little red flasher on the back. I've not tried it in a proper downpour yet.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2018, 08:30:17 am »
^^^ whs its called the Alpkit Gamma, it has 3 main led settings, and 3 additional ones. Let me explain. If you hold the button in, it goes to camping mode, and you have 3 less for this. A night vision one, in green, so you can read comfortably without the glare from the page, you have a red night vision one, for doing stuff, and a white one, for more clarity, but very small. Cost about £20, oh, and as said, it has a small independantly switched red led on the rear batterry pack. NOT for rechargable batteries tho, as being slightly larger, they break the case. I google everywhere for a head torch, and this came up favourite amongst fell runners and the like. So impressed, was I, bought a spare one, I did.
Alpkit do others as well.

« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2018, 08:38:48 am »
It is a contender but not taking rechargeable batteries puts it down a few notches.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2018, 05:19:56 pm »
I have the LED Lenser H7.2 battery version. I bought it as the battery version but found that keeping it with batteries in, the batteries do not last more than a month not using it. I now take the batteries out when not in use. I bought the battery version as I audax and like to buy batteries en route, not charge up. Happy I did now as if I had bought the USB version I would not have been happy having to remember to charge the USB up every month so the discharged batteries did not fail permanently due to extended time discharged.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #10 on: 09 April, 2018, 12:03:29 pm »
I use on of these (about £15) http://www.energizer.com/lighting/headlights#vhdplh on the odd occasions I'm running in the dark.  The ability to have a red forward facing light is useful if you have to run against traffic on country lanes with no pavement.  Whilst the batteries are at the front it doesn't joggle about too badly, but if I was doing great distances I'd go for a model like the Alpkit Gamma which has batteries at the rear.  The Energizer is bright enough though trail running at dusk is a nightmare whatever lighting you have on as you just cast shadows and end up tripping anyway ::-)

« Reply #11 on: 15 December, 2019, 10:07:39 am »
I bought a Black Diamond Iota which is great in every respect save one: it doesn't have red light mode.

I'm lusting after one of these.  Totally over the top in terms of price but what a lovely and practical, lightweight piece of kit.

I remain unconvinced about a red light on the back of the read for running when you have a pool of bright light ahead of you anyway.  If they cannot see the pool of light they certainly will not notice a small red light imo.  As it stands, I don't run on roads in the dark so it's a moot point anyway.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 15 December, 2019, 11:11:31 am »
I'd go for a Fenix HP25R;
1x18650 charging via a USB plug in the light, battery at the back with an over-the-top strap, 2.5 hours on high (350 lm) flood for running, good spot and a red flashy options for use as an emergency/puncture bike light.
You can also get 18650s that charge directly from a micro USB lead, for use as a spare, should you not trust your ability to remember to keep it charged.

Not cheap though.
I've now got the HP25R, I think its great for running. Was out with it last night. The flood is great for showing what's at my feet. Usually bright enough on low or medium power, so pretty decent battery life. Sometimes switch to high for steep descents.
Not exactly lightweight, but well balanced, the straps hold it in place without bounce. Seems pretty rugged. Good to have option of replacing the battery, though I've not needed any spares yet.
And not too expensive if you buy from China. I got it for about £45 off AliExpress.