Author Topic: Advice sought on pricing/selling my ICE Adventure FS with factory fitted Neodriv  (Read 1793 times)

Datbloke

• It's all gravy
Hi,

This forum was very helpful to me when I was seeking to by my ICE trike. Unfortunately I have not been able to ride much (less than 200m in 4 years) and have not been a very active forum member - apologies for that last bit .. just been trying to cope with a deteriorating health situation.

This is not a for sale ad - though one will probably be forthcoming. I'm looking for advice on how, where and at what price to reasonably expect to sell this lovely (and loved) piece of kit.

The machine is an ICE Adveture FS. The machine was manufactured late 2011 so has the modern frame with twist-fold. It was sold by David from Laid-Back bikes in Edinburgh to it's first owner in spring of 2012. It was used for a wee while, clocking up under 500 miles, then sat in a garage. I bought it from David on a commission sale for £2,400 in spring 2014.

In September 2016 the guys at the ICE factory fitted a Neodrive pedelec system. Cost was circa £2,000 as I received VAT relief as it was a disabled adatation. It's an amazing system. Very responsive, very powerful if you want it to be (30 assist settings). I have done a total of 36 miles since that time, as recorded on the Neodrive control unit.

All in all the bike is in very good condition - I've added less than 200 miles in total (and a couple of scratches) - it was mint when I purchased it. Black paint.

Additional specs are bar-end shifters, pannier rack with sides, V parking brake, twin wing mirrors, mudguards all round, chain-ring guard and new design headrest fitted in 2016 when the Neodrive was added (the headrest that doesn't move!).

Does anyone have any advise for me as to the best route to try and obtain a good sale for this machine? Also pricing? A brand new model from ICE with these specs, except the Shimano motor rather than Neodrive, would be £6750 or so. I'm in for £4,400 on this trike and the pedelec is essentially brand new.

I was hoping to sell for around £3,500 - does that seem reasonable? I know it's a question of what someone will pay for it at the end of the day.

Also do you have experience of selling a recumbent trike successfully and what route - Ebay, Gumtree, Classifieds here or elsewhere?

I'm really sad to say goodbye to the trike. It gave me a bit of freedom, though limited. I just can't ride anymore so better it finds a home where it will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can offer advice.

Kindly,

Matthew

Given what you have written £3500 does not seem an unreasonable asking price, but it is a lot of money so you may have to wait a while for the right buyer to come along. My advice would be advertise it on here and any other forum you know of with a recumbent following (CyclingUK, BHPC, Velovision, Bentrideronline) and be patient. Take lots of good photos and insert them in the thread. This is worth the effort IMHO. If you struggle to do the picture thing, ask for advice. Sort out your notifications so you get pinged when someone replies or messages you. It's not good to let a potential buyer hang on long enough to get cold feet! Don't accept low-ball offers but if a genuine buyer is making a reasonable offer it might be worth dropping your price a little. You also need to think about how any buyer will get the trike. Offering delivery will increase your market size but it isn't simple unless you are able and prepared to deliver yourself.
I'd stay away from eBay and gumtree in the first instance. Most serious buyers would be looking at the forums anyway I'd have thought.
Hope this helps some. Best of luck.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
And if it really fails to sell, you might get better results from selling the Neodrive system separately.

Datbloke

• It's all gravy
Thanks firedfromthecircus and Kim. Good advice.

Have you spoken to ICE HQ Falmouth about long term backup and parts if required ?
(no transferable warranty) for the Neo-Drive and active dealers are thin on the ground .
ICE dropped this system in favour of Shimano Steps  :o
You are bound to be quizzed by any buyers and if you don't have the answers  ???
There sure to ring ICE  ::-)
Kim has the right idea ........split the units and that will broaden your market place .
Have you contacted David at Laidback asking for a trade  cash purchase !
Sale or Return helps shops fill the window ..AVOID ....
You might as well pop it on Ebay and accept the charges  :-\
Shipping can be risky and time consuming to breakdown and pack
If you don't have the original carton and packing ?
Shippers such as Parcel Force will be happy to charge you for insurance but reject any claim  (read terms and conditions ) if you use "made-up" none factory approved packing ! 
The batteries are considered high fire risk and  attract a premium for shipping (ask ICE) and sheets of paperwork
However all's not lost ??
"Anyvan" online  offer a roll on roll off service and you can obtain bids or quotes for the whole of the UK .
If you require further help or advice.....please make contact with me
Regards Kevin D

Datbloke

• It's all gravy
Thanks Kevin. Helpful points.

Wonder if your local motability places might put up an as if you ask nicely?

Add CycleChat to your list of forums to advertise on. They have a classified section but a reasonably active HPV section, even a section for adaptive cycles.

Whichever forum you advertise it in, post it in the classified section but start a thread with photos and a link to the classified thread in the forum's HPV section (same with adaptive cycling section).

I found my recumbent by looking in a HPV section that led to the classified ad that was by that time well buried in the masses of road bike sales and component or clothing ads. It would take a persistent, interested party to find your ad in some sites just from the classified section due to the high rate of threads. The HPV sections are often less busy.

BTW Kevin knows his stuff regarding recumbents.

Datbloke

• It's all gravy
Thanks Johnny, TPMB - useful advice.