Author Topic: Which heart rate monitor strap?  (Read 1912 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Which heart rate monitor strap?
« on: 13 April, 2018, 10:21:57 am »
The strap for my Garmin HRM3-SS heart rate monitor stopped working. I borrowed the strap from my wife's Wahoo HRM and that worked fine, but she wants it back, so now I'm looking for a replacement.

I have heard good things about the Polar Pro Strap but does anyone know if it is compatible with the Garmin? The main concern will be the spacing of the pop studs to connect the pod to the strap - not an issue with the Wahoo strap because of its different design.

Might just get another Wahoo strap - it's more comfortable and cheaper than the Garmin strap.

Any other recommendations?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Which heart rate monitor strap?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2018, 12:08:09 pm »
I use a Polar strap with my Garmin sensor, works fine.  I think I needed to trim some rubber from around the press-studs on the strap with a stanley knife but other than that, its been far superior to the OEM strap!
Regards,

Joergen

citoyen

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2018, 12:36:13 pm »
Thanks, that’s exactly the info I needed. Read something about needing to ‘hack’ the Polar strap to work with the Garmin HR pod but it didn’t give any more detail than that.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2018, 12:54:44 pm »
There ya go
Regards,

Joergen

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2018, 01:49:28 pm »
@citoyen : as a matter of interest, how long did your strap last?  Mine's 2 years old and I'm wondering when it'll go wawa.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2018, 02:10:50 pm »
I recently bought an eBay cheapy in the hope that it might not be the Garmin transmitter succumbing to corrosion.  Surprisingly, this does appear to have restored it to full working order, and the strap is at least as comfortable as the Garmin soft strap.  Come back in a few months and I'll know if it was made of cheese or not.  The original strap lasted several years, but was starting to lose elasticity before it developed an intermittent contact.

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2018, 03:13:46 pm »
@citoyen : as a matter of interest, how long did your strap last?  Mine's 2 years old and I'm wondering when it'll go wawa.

Probably about two years, funnily enough. I can't remember. It started by only working intermittently then stopped working altogether. I initially assumed it was the battery but changing the battery did nothing, so I tried changing the strap and that worked.

I think it's entirely pot luck how long they last. Much like headphones.

rob

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2018, 03:38:28 pm »
I'm on my 3rd Garmin strap.   I seem to get through about 1 a year.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2018, 04:10:13 pm »

Probably about two years, funnily enough. I can't remember. It started by only working intermittently then stopped working altogether. I initially assumed it was the battery but changing the battery did nothing, so I tried changing the strap and that worked.

I think it's entirely pot luck how long they last. Much like headphones.

Mine's a bit iffy just now. It has just gone through the washing machine, though, and that usually helps.  After a ride I usually let it soak in soapy water in the sink while I'm having my shower, then I rinse it and get the water out of the press-studs.

Tightening often helps, but the adjustment system is so pestilential that I rarely do it.

I tried one of the 7€ Celestial offerings last year, but it only worked for 2 rides.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2018, 05:18:31 pm »
Mine have always failed by the sensor pads failing at the seams and then resulting in a terrible skin reaction to them, fine right up until that happens!  After 3 new straps at £35 each I bought a polar one for I think £9 and its lasted over a year and a bit now!  I have always regularly washed my straps with the rest of my cycling kit, so they probably get a wash every week depending on how much I've ridden (based on hours/km rather than number of rides).
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #10 on: 13 April, 2018, 05:45:28 pm »
The Garmin soft straps are rubbish. My Polar ones are up to 10 years old and still working, and some of the “rigid” Garmins are over 5 years old and working ok.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)