Author Topic: Bunbury World  (Read 7498 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Bunbury World
« on: 18 April, 2018, 08:29:43 pm »
Did you ever watch Rimmerworld?  No, it's not like that. 

I'm off.  In two weeks I finish work, then after another two I'm packing up and leaving, going for a bike tour with a route that looks something like this.  Then again, the route might change.  I'm commitment-phobic like that.

Anyway, I've written a website so those of you who don't follow me on Instafaceterfeed can still get your daily dose of me.  Here it is:

lostbyway.com

Go look at it, I think it's rather pretty.  If you want to sit there in your comfortable office chair and grow utterly sick with envy because you're not out there with me, surrounded by flies, stinking of something strange and feeling lost and alone, I promise I'll do my best to oblige.  Then again, if you just want to follow it so you can have a good laugh when I fall off after a week and get stretchered home, that's fine too  (well no it's not fine and I hope to rub it in your face when I get back unscathed, you big voyeuristic perv)

Re: Bunbury World
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2018, 02:00:47 pm »
As said elsewhere, looking forward to it.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2018, 03:01:53 pm »
That should be epic! I shall keep an eye on your blog...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2018, 04:30:54 pm »
Looks like you are in for a good time. Hope all goes well.

Just a comment re the blog. I've got fairly decent vision & I don't find the light grey text on a white background very easy to read.  I'd  think that some people would struggle with it, you might want to change it for something with more contrast.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2018, 07:34:14 pm »
That looks like a lot of fun, will be watching. For nice reasons :)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2018, 09:44:15 pm »
#Can't think of a better word than epic, will be following with interest.

Ben T

« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2018, 10:50:08 pm »
Make sure you only go to south Korea, don't wanna get caught by kim jong un  ;)

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #7 on: 24 April, 2018, 09:37:42 pm »
Lost Byway - The Visa Problem

a.k.a.  "I am very grateful to Deano for falling foul of Pakistani visa regulations in 2011 so I know to watch out and not make the same mistake."

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 24 April, 2018, 10:00:24 pm »
Won't it be harder cycling because of the Earth's direction of spin?

Ben T

« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2018, 10:12:03 am »
No but if he's cycling west he'll be losing time , i.e. every day will be slightly shorter than if he were remaining still or cycling east.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2018, 11:57:53 am »
It's a neat thing to put all your stories, or links to them, in one easily findable place.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2018, 10:11:34 pm »
Easier to read now as well. Thanks for that.  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2018, 05:59:53 pm »
One week to go.  I'm having a leaving BBQ on the Saturday on the racecourse, from noon till whenever we pack up - probably four-ish.   Any and all forumites welcome - PM me if you're interested and I'll tell you which bit of the racecourse to look at. 

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2018, 06:12:23 pm »
One week to go.  I'm having a leaving BBQ on the Saturday on the racecourse, from noon till whenever we pack up - probably four-ish.   Any and all forumites welcome - PM me if you're interested and I'll tell you which bit of the racecourse to look at.

I'd love to come along but I'm in Wales for a bike ride. I'll be following your exploits online Mr Bunbury. :)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2018, 08:41:26 pm »
I think I'm around on Saturday, I'll drop you a PM when I know what I'm doing.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2018, 10:25:32 pm »
Well, he seemed very relaxed and not even half-ready, but I guess he'll be off tomorrow. Good luck, bunbury.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #16 on: 23 May, 2018, 08:42:46 am »
Well, he seemed very relaxed and not even half-ready, but I guess he'll be off tomorrow. Good luck, bunbury.

Either it is the way my phone has arranged the pictures, or you've cleverly arranged them Deano, but in that second photo Greg looks like a giant stood by a kettle drum with tiny friends sitting at his feet. I've just spotted Greg among his 'tiny friends' too... a 'mini me Greg'.

Greg. Books arrived, thank you. I plan to NOT let them inspire me. :)

« Reply #17 on: 23 May, 2018, 09:18:31 pm »
In the Kettle Drum of Doom, you can see all the trapped souls of Greg's enemies, sacrificed for the sake of fair weather and non-grumpy officialdom on his travels.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #18 on: 24 May, 2018, 09:21:52 am »
Yeah, I stored them all in the artifacts in that strange eclectic pub we visited the other week.  One of them is haunting the double bass in the corner, the others inhabit those figurines hanging from the ceiling.

Anyway, I've lost sight of the cliffs.  Next time I see them they'll no longer be part of the EU.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #19 on: 24 May, 2018, 12:55:21 pm »
Bugger off said in the most nicely way, now don't forget to have fun !
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #20 on: 10 June, 2018, 10:02:52 am »
I've now finished the European leg: this is posted from a cafe in Porto where I'll get a couple of days R&R before flying from Lisbon on Tuesday. 

In the Kettle Drum of Doom, you can see all the trapped souls of Greg's enemies, sacrificed for the sake of fair weather and non-grumpy officialdom on his travels.

It didn't work.  Every single sodding day since leaving the white cliffs, I've had rain.  There was one day (Thursday I think) where it didn't actually happen while I was cycling, plus a couple that let me off relatively lightly with showers, but apart from that it's all been either all day drizzle or violent thunderstorms.  The camera is currently clinging to life in ITU, the rain jacket had shown it's full inadequacy and the budget is looking rather queasy after the number of nights I've slacked off camping.  Bring on the desert!

Portugal's rather good though  :thumbsup:  it's not like northern Spain where you can ride across a featureless expanse for 30 miles, it's a compact country with lots and lots of twisty hilly lanes - like Britain except twice as warm and with tropical trees and plants crowding each other for space by the roadside.  I guess they get first bite at the Gulf Stream and we get the pale leftovers.  Also, they have cheaper coffee and better food: they're addicted to sweet treats of just the sort that make a cycling cafe stop worthwhile.

My one regret is that I'm not going to cycle more in Portugal - I'd originally intended to ride down to Lisbon but stopped here to see the Primavera festival last night and given I didn't set off at six this morning, there's not time so I'll get the train.  It really is ideal cycling country though; you should all come.  If I ever end up as a cycling tour guide, I'm bringing groups here.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 10 June, 2018, 07:38:05 pm »
Good stuff!  Over the pond now, eh?
Getting there...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #22 on: 10 June, 2018, 11:46:52 pm »
I fly on the 12th.  It'll be my first time in the Americas - looking forward to it :)

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #23 on: 13 June, 2018, 04:40:26 pm »
I fly on the 12th.  It'll be my first time in the Americas - looking forward to it :)

Happy landing?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #24 on: 13 June, 2018, 05:17:46 pm »
The landing itself was fast and hard, into a thunderstorm.  I'm beginning to think I might be the reincarnation of Thor given how the thunder is following me round the world - does that work in Viking theology? 

I'm now taking a day in Miami while my bike gets a new BB and trued wheels in a local shop.  The shop was my second call off the plane yesterday, after a diner where I found that saying "Hello I've  got a really plummy English accent and I'm cycling round the world" is a good way of getting free food.  When I've did get to the shop I ran into a local club meeting where I became the impromptu guest speaker and got invited to someone's home for two nights.  No cycling so far, but pretty good so the same.