Author Topic: Running shorts  (Read 2953 times)

Running shorts
« on: 25 April, 2018, 07:47:22 am »
Why can't you buy proper running shorts any more?  All this trendy effing stuff is simply not suitable - I want to run, not hang around the gym, beach or pool striking up a pose and chatting up the vacuous spray tan bimbos, thanks.

Bah humbug.

< Goes off with a pair of scissors to the local shops... >

Re: Running shorts
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2018, 07:52:35 am »
dhb (Wiggle's own brand) work fine for me, plain black, inexpensive too.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mens/dhb/running-shorts/

Or are you looking for something without an internal liner?

(For longer runs, HM and above, I also wear a pair of the tight shorts underneath to help prevent chafing.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2018, 07:59:40 am »
The 3 inch looks almost what I am looking for.  The Model T of running shorts I see...  :) 

Thanks for the link.

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2018, 08:49:07 am »
On the subject, has anyone found running shorts with a pocket(s) big enough to hold a mobile?  I know it's not the done thing to carry stuff like that in pockets when running but it suits me fine.  ATM I'm forced to use non-running (i.e. bulky) shorts.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2018, 08:56:14 am »
No.  I am exploring phone-carrying alternatives but I don't really like those armband contraptions.  I have a small bumbag which I sometimes use but could do with something even more convenient.

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2018, 02:27:40 pm »
For holding a phone ...Sports soccer stock some karimore 2 in one shorts that are my go to.   They have a really good quality Lycra inner and the two side pockets plus a waterproof zip pocket on the rear for a phone.   Think they come in 5 or 7” and you can get them without the Lycra inner if you wish - highly recommended

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2018, 02:35:52 pm »
How about...

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/mens/clothing/shorts.html?sport=4749

They regularly have further discounts (15% off all clothes expired yesterday).

I've been happy with them. 

As to carrying phones etc, I am currently experimenting with an Ultimate Direction vest (which also includes soft water bottles)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2018, 02:47:31 pm »
I like Ronhill shorts. Available in a variety of styles and lengths etc. They have some 'cargo' models with plenty of pockets. If loading up the pockets, maybe better with shorts with a lycra inner, it won't bounce around as much.

Or More Mile shorts (Start Fitness own brand) are cheap, and pretty good. And they have some nice colours.

Ben T

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2018, 02:48:20 pm »
Back when I was young people used to 'go jogging' or 'go for a jog'. Why now, do people never go for a 'jog', it's always a 'run' - no matter how fast they're going?  :-\ ;)

« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2018, 02:50:18 pm »
No.  I am exploring phone-carrying alternatives but I don't really like those armband contraptions.  I have a small bumbag which I sometimes use but could do with something even more convenient.

Just acquired a FinBurst belt for this purpose.  Only used it once, but seems to work fine.  Takes a little time to put a phone in and out, but I only wanted it to announce distances rather than access the phone during the run.

ebay

amazon

There's loads of similar ones out there, usually advertised with lots of photos of them adorning fit, toned and tanned young individuals.  I reckon I must look like one of them now, not some sad git with a bumbag.

« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2018, 03:42:26 pm »
Back when I was young people used to 'go jogging' or 'go for a jog'. Why now, do people never go for a 'jog', it's always a 'run' - no matter how fast they're going?  :-\ ;)

Back when I was young in the eighties and nineties I used to run marathons, not jog them.  Jogging as I understand it describes the action of those who almost shuffle or bumble along often with a more pronounced side-to-side movement.  A runner leaves the ground completely during each stride but joggers often do not.

I'm not saying that I am right, merely that this is how I understand it to be.

You pay your money, you take your choice.    :)

Thanks for the various links folks - one or two promising options in there.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 25 April, 2018, 03:49:11 pm »
Never having both feet off the ground at the same time is walking. If you define running as never[1] having both feet on the ground then I suppose jogging could be considered everything in between.

A common distinction between jogging and running is pace, and the common figure bandied about is 6mph. Others say you jog a 4h marathon but run a sub-4h marathon.

Since there's no official definition it's going to be open to lots of individual interpretation.

1.  Or only if you've got to take sharp corners or steep inclines/etc

« Reply #12 on: 25 April, 2018, 04:17:36 pm »
I've always assumed that slow = jogging and fast = running. My attempts at "running" are jogging really, but everyone seems to call it running nowadays, including people even slower than I am, so I do as well.

For phone-holding purposes, I have a lycra belt thing with a pocket that's just big enough for a phone. It looks a bit like this but is a cheap Ebay version and has a zip: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nathan-the-hipster-running-belt/

« Reply #13 on: 25 April, 2018, 04:49:10 pm »
A common distinction between jogging and running is pace, and the common figure bandied about is 6mph. Others say you jog a 4h marathon but run a sub-4h marathon.

Assuming that this is not your definition I believe that this interpretation smacks of elitism.  Long distance running fortunately has very little of this, far less ime than long distance cycling does, but unfortunately, it still lingers in the egos of the self-appointed elite. 

Average human walking pace is around 3mph so I would say that anything over 5mph is running, even if running slowly.

Incidentally, my first marathon was 4hrs 19 and I ran the last 12 miles in a lot of pain with a bandaged and swelling left knee.  That qualifies, just, on the 6mph formula but fails the 4 hour formula.  As it is far harder to run faster the longer the distance the 4hr marker over 26.2 miles seems very harsh indeed. 

Ben T

« Reply #14 on: 25 April, 2018, 05:23:25 pm »
Never having both feet off the ground at the same time is walking. If you define running as never[1] having both feet on the ground then I suppose jogging could be considered everything in between.

Since there's no official definition it's going to be open to lots of individual interpretation.

1.  Or only if you've got to take sharp corners or steep inclines/etc

The point is 'jogging' didn't used to be a derogatory term, but seems to have now become one.  :) Probably partly due to the upping of the image by the running industry. :)

« Reply #15 on: 25 April, 2018, 05:41:21 pm »
For me, jogging is what you should be doing 80% of the time to allow you to run the other 20%.   The two definitions should be defined by your own speed or heart rate zones, not by some general standard.

« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2018, 11:15:43 am »
Or, alternatively, language evolves over time.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2018, 12:19:02 pm »
my understanding is that walking is 5-6kph, fast walking is around 7kph, which then turns into jogging 8-10kph, and running is everything above ~10kph. i prefer running in tight shorts, mid-thigh long, they have a small key pocket which is pressed against the body - no bouncing about.

« Reply #18 on: 26 April, 2018, 03:27:43 pm »
And race walking is just freaky (over 15kph for short/mid distance).

« Reply #19 on: 27 April, 2018, 08:25:49 am »
Or, alternatively, language evolves over time.