Author Topic: Hand post-op...  (Read 1515 times)

Hand post-op...
« on: 01 May, 2018, 03:53:08 pm »
About 6 weeks ago, I ended up having to have a large-ish glass shard removed from my hand, in day surgery. A couple of weeks ago periodic aches and stings started getting worse, along with thickening under the skin in a wide region around the smaller stitched & healed wound.  I've just found out (wasn't originally told), that scar tissue massage needs to be done, frequently, to help break up the thickening and de-sensitise the area.  Anyone with experience of this? Tips?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Hand post-op...
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2018, 04:23:26 pm »
Mr Bainbridge OTP is your man I think.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2018, 04:41:07 pm »
As always get the advice of someone suitably qualified, but when I had something similar I was told by the physio to use plenty of moisturiser on the skin, press firmly and use a small rotary movement with one of two fingers and keep moving to a new spot fairly frequently.  It helps if you have the hand that you are massaging on a firm surface

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2018, 05:25:02 pm »
Based on my experience of hand/wrist surgery, yes to the massage. Gentle stretching also.

Rolling  over a ball helps.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2018, 08:57:16 pm »
Thanks for info.  The consultant simply said to massage emollient frequently and firmly into the area - that was about it really.

LMT

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2018, 09:29:43 pm »
Had a fractured hip a couple of years ago which meant my hip being pinned, some bio oil and gentle but firm massaging with my thumbs helped post op.

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2018, 09:49:23 am »
What has surprised me is the lumpy 'scar' tissue is  about 1-2cm away from surgical incision (small chevron shape).  I can hardly see the actual incision scar, but the 'thickening'/raised bits under normal looking skin are significant.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2018, 10:55:38 am »
I've always just used E45 or nivea and year small circles along the scarline and immediate surrounding areas. I don't know where the jury is on bio oil or indeed the strip stuff that is supposed to improve scarring.

« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2018, 01:23:05 pm »
Bio oil is supposed to be the dogs danglies for helping to deal with surface scars. Gentle massage to break up deeper scar tissue
<i>Marmite slave</i>