Author Topic: Palm pain during and after rides  (Read 2194 times)

Palm pain during and after rides
« on: 07 May, 2018, 03:20:19 pm »
Hello,

On my last two 200km audaxes I have suffered from pain in my palms. This was worse on the second ride (yesterday) and my hands are still swollen and I found it difficult to get to sleep because of the pain last night.

I think it was aggravated yesterday by wearing fingerless mitts which were a size too big. I normally ride on the flat part of my drops and probably 25% on the hoods - not much on the drops unless descending.

I would welcome tips to alleviate this as I was hoping to make the leap to 300km rides but cannot see how I could manage this at the moment.

dim

Re: Palm pain during and after rides
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2018, 06:06:08 pm »
first thing to check, is your bar width ....

https://www.artscyclery.com/learningcenter/findrighthandlebarwidth.html

if the bars are too wide  you end up riding with your arms splayed out and this will affect your wrists, arms and palms on long rides ....

I often see people riding with their hands on the flats .... this could be because the hoods are too far apart for their shoulder width
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2018, 06:40:36 pm »
I had this problem on most rides when I returned to Audax, would occur whenever I wore fingerless mitts or gloves. Now I never wear either and the pain has gone away completely. I also find that my hands stay warmer too and now only need gloves when close to or below freezing.

« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2018, 09:37:20 pm »
My take, use unpadded mitts, and work on your core strength.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2018, 10:17:32 pm »
I’m assuming this is pressure pain, not loose gloves rubbing.

Things that have helped my hands, ymmv...
Bars with less of a drop, meaning I spend more time on the drops and move positions more often.
Gloves with less padding.
Gel under my bar tape.
A slightly shorter stem.
Shorter reach brakes, so I’m on the hoods without twisting my hands.

Core strength might well help avoid the need for some of those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2018, 08:18:53 am »
Could also be a question of bike fit. Too much weight on the hands could mean saddle too high, saddle too far forward or bars too low. Getting the weight distribution right between the three* contact points (hands, feet, arse) is important.

* five
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Samuel D

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2018, 10:55:47 am »
For core strength to have any effect, your saddle must be far enough back for your bum and thighs to counterbalance your cantilevered torso over the forward (loaded) pedal.

It’s like a see-saw. If the distance between the see-saw’s pivot (forward pedal) and one child (saddle) is too short, no amount of plank stiffness (core strength) will prevent the other child (your hands) going down hard.

You can fool around with gloves and thick bar tape and handlebar height and all the rest, but the definitive way to fix this is to get the weight off your hands. The only way to do that without ruining your aerodynamics with an upright position is to get the saddle back.

Adequate core strength will follow automatically in a matter of weeks.

See “SADDLE SETBACK” on page 10 of this fit guide (PDF) by the man who designed Spa Cycles frames (the gent in the photos).

« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2018, 06:48:06 am »
Have you checked for carpal tunnel problems or arthritis?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:32:32 am »
You can fool around with gloves and thick bar tape and handlebar height and all the rest, but the definitive way to fix this is to get the weight off your hands.
Absolutely.

It was interesting watching the hard-core leaders in the Indipac. They didn't wear gloves. Bare hands and first thing they did when pulling in at a rest stop was to wash and dry their hands. sure, they were spending a lot of time on aero bars, however they also rode on the flats a lot (but with a low position). Next to no weight on hands.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 03 July, 2018, 07:56:20 pm »
One could argue that gloves are protection for your hands in the event of a crash, not in the course of general riding. Having fallen over recently while approximately stationary and cut up one palm, I am rethinking my attitude to gloves...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 03 July, 2018, 09:23:16 pm »
'There is no 'spare' skin on the hands. Sacrificial gloves are arguably better PPE than a h*lm*t for cycling.

« Reply #11 on: 13 July, 2018, 07:47:19 am »
I agree with Nobby, worth getting checked for any problems like carpel tunnel or arthritis. I got checked when it got to the point of intense pain in the wrists if I hit a pothole and sure enough, arthritis in wrists and thumbs where I hold onto the drop bars.

Steroid injections into the wrists eased the pain enough for short rides and using WAGs (Wrist Assured Gloves I use the ultra support ones) makes a difference for short trips too, but the arthritis has progressed to the point where I’ve had to switch from drop bar to recumbent with under seat steering (I.e. no weight on wrists at all) and that means I can still do long rides....when I get my fitness back!

Best to get it assessed so you know if there is an issue or not and if so what options you have to manage it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #12 on: 13 July, 2018, 05:50:31 pm »
I have refrained from weighing in on this as there is just not enough information. 

I would need to know age, nature of pain, exact location, etc before even starting to add to discussion

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 13 July, 2018, 06:07:04 pm »
My only comment thus far was rather tangential.

It's always best not to comment if you don't know enough, agreed!