Author Topic: Post vasectomy pain - 20 years later!!!  (Read 3727 times)

Post vasectomy pain - 20 years later!!!
« on: 10 May, 2018, 07:51:42 pm »
I'm 52 in July and had a vasectomy about 28 years ago and ever since then I've had no problems related to it at all.
Over the last 6 months I've had a feeling which I can only describe as the feeling you get when you get kicked in the balls. I've had abdominal scans all negative apart from some swelling to the site of the "tube splicing" on one side and this is very definitely the cause of the pain. Associated with this pain is a very achy lower back and a feeling like stitch on my right side.
I suspect the swelling is pressing on a nerve which is causing these secondary sensations as I've never had back trouble despite a fairly manual working life and 25 years of cycling.

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms and what did you do about it?

Thanks

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Post vasectomy pain - 20 years later!!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2018, 09:09:10 pm »
Almost 10 years since mine. I'm not pain free: 'righty' is very tender and if I cross my legs the wrong way it can feel like 9/10 (kidney stones being 10/10). These symptoms didn't manifest themselves immediately but developed over time. Ultrasound revealed nothing scary.

I know that's not really what you were looking for, but I was told that the chance of pain resulting was low. However I suspect this was not based on much evidence, and think this isn't talked about enough. Please forgive the bandwagoning.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2018, 08:15:14 am »
35 years old here... vasectomy booked for next month as it seemed the sensible, reponsible thing to do as we definitley dont want any more kids.

However, I happened upon a large body of evidence online that suggest chronic pain is a very real side effect for a large amount of men that have this "simple" and "painless" procedure.

My GP talked about 2% of men having chronic pain as a result of the op but made a much bigger deal about the chance of still getting pregnant.   The clinic didnt mention chronic post vasectomy pain or any on going pain as a possibility.

From 2 weeks research I have decided this is actually a big issue and men are not being given the full infomation.   If the op goes well it is indeed painless and trouble free...but the newer research figures show between 5-30% of men suffer some long term daily pain as a result of vasectomy.   Even more scary is that there is research showing that 7 out of 10 vasectomy reversal operations are done not to have more children, but to try and stop the pain caused by the original procedure.  There are many people who report no initial pain only to have the symptoms come on in later life.

It seems having tubes cut or sealed does not agree with lots of men and it is pure lottery if it happens to you or not.   I dont like the odds as I am 35, active and currently pain free so I have cancelled my op and we will think again if more evidence comes out or if the procedure is improved.   I'm not saying dont have it done - but at least get infomred about the actual risk of complication.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2018, 08:30:31 am »
Snipped about 25 years ago.  Never had any discomforture or other problems.
I don't know how relevant it is,  but I also had none of the discomfort in the immediate aftermath of the job reported in varying degrees by my peers.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2018, 08:35:25 am »
Interesting.  Had mine done ~5 years ago and had no trouble.  At the time I asked what the odds were since there are always stories of those who had pain afterwards.  He admitted he couldn't give me numbers, but did ask me to participate in a survey to help produce quantitative results in the future.  I read since that the odds seem to be something like 10% - perhaps higher than expected.  However, my survey was only a shorter term follow-up so the numbers from whichever study that helped produce will not include pain which starts years down the line.

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2018, 08:50:33 am »
My research backs up RedEyeJedi.

Men don't like talking about problems down there, so issues get under reported.

I have had ongoing problems, some small cysts that cause tenderness and every few years these flare up into an infection. It has happened maybe 3 times in 20 years. That hasn't interfered with my sex life.

I knew the odds before getting my snip. I compared the odds of issues with the issues and odds of after-effects of pregnancy & seriousness of comparable snipping operation for women; decided to not whinge and just get snipped. Either that or take a vow of celibacy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2018, 01:04:22 pm »
I don't know how relevant it is,  but I also had none of the discomfort in the immediate aftermath of the job reported in varying degrees by my peers.

I was like that until this year, it took me a while to associate the back pain with the tenderness on my left "tube" but when the swelling did subside the associated aches also went away. It took a few weeks to return.

I'm still working out if there's been any other change related to cycling, the most obvious one has been me attempting a RRTY and riding on a Brooks saddle, this is mileage which over the years I've not been used to having moved on from doing 10 and 25 mile TTs.

Anyway, once on the bike it's actually OK but I've no doubt the cycling action isn't helping the situation but clearly I'm very reluctant to give up what is the only form of exercise I actually enjoy.

« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2018, 01:13:13 pm »
FWIW I’ve had a positive experience with the snip 5 years ago and no subsequent attributable issues.
One wonders whether those who suffer pain issues followed/didn’t follow certain post op advice or whether they were all snipped in the same, or different ways. Or whether chronic pain just affects folk randomly. I wore two pairs of tight pants, retreated to bed and took lots of painkillers for at least 24 hours and then took everything really steady for the next fortnight.

« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2018, 01:29:34 pm »
I expects it was your scrupulous aftercare that made a vas deferens.

« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2018, 01:30:38 pm »
35 years old here... vasectomy booked for next month as it seemed the sensible, reponsible thing to do as we definitley dont want any more kids.

However, I happened upon a large body of evidence online that suggest chronic pain is a very real side effect for a large amount of men that have this "simple" and "painless" procedure.

My GP talked about 2% of men having chronic pain as a result of the op but made a much bigger deal about the chance of still getting pregnant.   The clinic didnt mention chronic post vasectomy pain or any on going pain as a possibility.

From 2 weeks research I have decided this is actually a big issue and men are not being given the full infomation.   If the op goes well it is indeed painless and trouble free...but the newer research figures show between 5-30% of men suffer some long term daily pain as a result of vasectomy.   Even more scary is that there is research showing that 7 out of 10 vasectomy reversal operations are done not to have more children, but to try and stop the pain caused by the original procedure.  There are many people who report no initial pain only to have the symptoms come on in later life.

It seems having tubes cut or sealed does not agree with lots of men and it is pure lottery if it happens to you or not.   I dont like the odds as I am 35, active and currently pain free so I have cancelled my op and we will think again if more evidence comes out or if the procedure is improved.   I'm not saying dont have it done - but at least get infomred about the actual risk of complication.

If you do go for it just remember it's not safe until the juices run clear!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2018, 01:37:01 pm »

Same here for me.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2018, 02:19:06 pm »
If people wouldn't mind only posting if you have had any problems that'd be great. I'm sure there are millions of people who've never had a problem...tbh..I don't really want to hear about them.

Thanks.

« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2018, 02:47:28 pm »
FYI, Neil, when I did get pain and swelling:
1) the pain was  not localized; it extended up the 'tube' from the scrotum into my lower back.
2) one testicle became swollen
3) treatment was a sustained massive course of antibiotics. Seems that despite the good blood supply, it is difficult to raise the level of antibiotics in that area (so they said - I wondered if it wouldn't have been more effective to have injected them locally, but there you go).

The antibiotics worked.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #13 on: 11 May, 2018, 03:45:10 pm »
I suffered a swollen and painful testicle 5 years post vasectomy, diagnosed as epididymitis.

After about 5 courses of different antibiotics with varying efficacy it was deemed untreatable and I had an epididimectomy.

Subsequently suffered chronic pain for about 18 months.

Now (9 years post op) I have no problems.

I would emphasise that my urologist was clear there was no definitive link to the vasectomy, though he suspected it.   I may have just been unlucky.   Personal anecdote is not a good guide to decision-making!

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #14 on: 11 May, 2018, 09:32:26 pm »
If people wouldn't mind only posting if you have had any problems that'd be great. I'm sure there are millions of people who've never had a problem...tbh..I don't really want to hear about them.

Thanks.

My problem was that it fucking hurt during the op. Three day later I was back on the bike with a 16 mile daily commute. About 20-25 years ago.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #15 on: 11 May, 2018, 10:37:11 pm »
Had the op about 8 years ago I think. I've had pain on and off since. It hasn't been too bad for quite a while, but I had an uncomfortable couple of days after a recent 300.
This reminded me that the same happened after driving back from a Rough Diamond a few years ago. Don't drive in bibshorts, clearly. Or is 'brevet bollock' a thing?
Annoying, as I'd hoped it had sorted itself out.

So much for informed consent.

« Reply #16 on: 12 May, 2018, 08:23:27 am »
Thank you all for replying with your different experiences, it's clearly more common than you'd ever know, I doubt it's the regular topic of conversation with a stranger on a ride.

I'll just have to see where it goes but I get the feeling there isn't much sympathy from GPs regarding this type of problem and it's a case of coping with it as best you can.

« Reply #17 on: 12 May, 2018, 09:05:02 am »
For anyone interested in further reading this seems like a good place to start

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4854072/

The summary is near the end in the "Our Protocol" paragraph.

What is clear is that it is a complex, not particularly well studied area.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 12 May, 2018, 12:27:16 pm »
Suspect choosing a male GP who's >40 and seems to have completed his own family might help, if you know...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #19 on: 12 May, 2018, 07:21:41 pm »
I’d add to my post that - while the pain when I have it is most unwelcome - it doesn’t negate the benefits of the procedure: hassle-free contraception and a partner who doesn’t have to take tablets every day.
Would I have gone ahead if I’d known? I think I might.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #20 on: 12 May, 2018, 08:09:27 pm »
I had a vasectomy 28 years ago, partly to help my sex life as the pill did not agree with my wife at all.

However this does seem to be a real problem but I suspect that most people doing the procedure have no concept of post vasectomy pain.

I suspect there is a degree of medical patronising and that a "montgomery consent" legal case would be highly likely to succeed.