Author Topic: What is a good balance?  (Read 3847 times)

What is a good balance?
« on: 12 May, 2018, 12:49:43 pm »
I'm 5'11" 230 pounds looking to get in shape. What is a good balance of carbohydrates/protein/fat?

Also, say I want to eat 8 ounces of chicken breast, and I input this. Would the app be showing the values for 8 ounces cooked or before cooking?

Re: What is a good balance?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2018, 01:26:53 pm »
I’m going to watch this one from the terraces:)

However, I would strongly suggest that don’t consider eating your chicken breast uncooked!

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2018, 02:53:38 pm »
I'm 5'11" 230 pounds looking to get in shape. What is a good balance of carbohydrates/protein/fat?
Less of each  :P

In all seriousness, according to one research 40/30/30% results in about 90 calories burned over a regular 60/10/30% diet [source], plus that it decreases the feeling of hunger / increases feeling of fullness compared to the regular diet.

Not specifically on the balance of nutrients, but I found this discussion on the weightweenies bicycle forum interesting.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2018, 03:08:10 pm »
100g protein per day
Minimal free sugar
Argue about carbs till cows come home but no more than 100g/day
Argue about high fat/low fat till cows come home.

Foods that combine starch with fat and those that combine fat with sugar, starch and fat are very delicious, moreish and calorie-dense. Think cake, chocolate, pastry, chips. It's easy to eat MUCH more of these  than the starch in isolation. Either avoid entirely or enjoy in VERY strictly controlled portion sizes.

Total energy 1500-1800kcal/day for weight loss.

Avoid CRAP foods -preferably cut them out.
CRAP = C Carbonated drinks
R = Refined sugar
A = Artificial foods
P = Processed foods

Enjoy your foods, try not to eat between meals, never eat anything you don't enjoy.

« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2018, 11:09:47 pm »
100g protein per day
Minimal free sugar
Argue about carbs till cows come home but no more than 100g/day
Argue about high fat/low fat till cows come home.

Foods that combine starch with fat and those that combine fat with sugar, starch and fat are very delicious, moreish and calorie-dense. Think cake, chocolate, pastry, chips. It's easy to eat MUCH more of these  than the starch in isolation. Either avoid entirely or enjoy in VERY strictly controlled portion sizes.

Total energy 1500-1800kcal/day for weight loss.

Avoid CRAP foods -preferably cut them out.
CRAP = C Carbonated drinks
R = Refined sugar
A = Artificial foods
P = Processed foods

Enjoy your foods, try not to eat between meals, never eat anything you don't enjoy.

Nail on the head. Helly is spot on I reckon.

I think, too, that it’s better to go a bit slower and take longer. Your body will fight weight loss by making you hungrier and that can lead to very gradual slippage. My sense is that it takes time to adjust, but there’s always going to be an effort involved.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2018, 07:55:22 am »
When you say'carbonted drinks' would that include fizzy (sparkling) spring water? If so why?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2018, 08:58:45 am »
All that and go for long, relatively easy rides. Nowt like it for burning off the gut.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2018, 12:22:49 pm »
All that and go for long, relatively easy rides. Nowt like it for burning off the gut.

Well, running is pretty effective, but harder on the body and takes longer to recover

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2018, 12:47:41 pm »
When you say'carbonted drinks' would that include fizzy (sparkling) spring water? If so why?

The blanket advice really refers principally to sugary fizz but artificially sweetened fizz is debatably associated with weight gain by some. For myself, I have a diet cola when eating out and I think that's preferable to drinking sugar. I don't think it totals ten per year.

Fizzy water is OK IMO from the weight perspective. It does the teeth no favours though.

I think this 'CRAP' idea originated in the USA where drinking 'soda' is more commonplace. It's an over-simplification but a good starting point.

Sainsbury's Vanilla Soft Scoop is IMO an artificial food. It is over 50% gas by volume and ⅔ water by weight. This means 100ml contains only 70kcal and 8.4g sugar so it's a useful treat which isn't too high in 'baddies'. 50ml ice-cream with a bowl of strawberries is rather good!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2018, 12:55:47 pm »

Well, running is pretty effective, but harder on the body and takes longer to recover

Exactly.  Percussive sports when you're overweight play Old Harry with the undercarriage.  Hill walking is good, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2018, 06:10:21 pm »
Slightly off-topic, but it is related: chew your food. Seriously. I'm not being sarcastic.

I'm convinced so many of us eat with our eyes and completely forget what is going on with the whole process of eating.
By remembering to chew your food properly as opposed to shoveling it in your mouth like coal being shoveled into a steam engine provides a more extended period of time to complete the eating of a meal, giving you time to feel the process of 'filling up' and signalling that you've actually had a sufficient in take of grub. And your stomach will really appreciate it too.

I have to sometimes consciously stop for a minute now after I've put the plate in front of me, take stock of what I'm actually doing before I start eating and realize that what I'm obsessing about in my head has nothing to do with me sitting here just about to start eating. So, we come back to where we are, we eat and we chew,,,,and we chew so more, and then some more. Problem is, for most of us, chewing's pretty boring, and we'd rather get the next mouth full in to get that food-sensation thing going on - ummmm loverly, Homer Simpson style. Then we finish, look down, wonder were the food has gone and barely remember eating it!
Garry Broad

Ben T

« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2018, 06:30:09 pm »
don't think it totals ten per year.

Fizzy water is OK IMO from the weight perspective. It does the teeth no favours though.

Why? What's it got in it that isn't good for your teeth?

« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2018, 06:53:37 pm »
Carbonic acid; i.e. carbon dioxide dissolved in water. Not the strongest acid in the world, but enough to do damage to tooth enamel.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2018, 08:00:22 pm »
Carbonic acid; i.e. carbon dioxide dissolved in water. Not the strongest acid in the world, but enough to do damage to tooth enamel.

That's the one!

Seriously, anything that drops the pH in the mouth is NOT GOOD.

You should avoid scrubbing your teeth for an hour after eating fruit, to reduce etching/erosion.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2018, 11:03:37 pm »
Slightly off-topic, but it is related: chew your food. Seriously. I'm not being sarcastic.

I'm convinced so many of us eat with our eyes and completely forget what is going on with the whole process of eating.
By remembering to chew your food properly as opposed to shoveling it in your mouth like coal being shoveled into a steam engine provides a more extended period of time to complete the eating of a meal, giving you time to feel the process of 'filling up' and signalling that you've actually had a sufficient in take of grub. And your stomach will really appreciate it too.

Agreed. Chewing and probably handling are part of the pleasure of eating.
Juicing takes the chewing out of eating fruit and converts a low-calorie food to a high-sugar drink. It's not difficult to drink 5 oranges worth of juice. Having to peel an orange reduces the speed at which you can eat them.

Don't drink sugar and be mindful of any other calories you drink. Alcohol is 7kcal per gram.

« Reply #15 on: 14 May, 2018, 07:58:13 am »
Stop eating when you are still slightly hungry.

Chew your food.

utterly unintentional, but a combination of being busy, only eating quick light lunches (so I didn't get dozy in the afternoons) and not stuffing myself in the evenings have meant I've lost a kilo a week for the last 6 weeks. Down to 76kg from 82kg. I still have a beer most evenings.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #16 on: 14 May, 2018, 08:23:40 am »

Also, say I want to eat 8 ounces of chicken breast, and I input this. Would the app be showing the values for 8 ounces cooked or before cooking?

Normally Cooked,. Meat won't change that much in % when cooked, so if you go with uncooked it will be a minor errror.. Pasta and rice will absorb about 50% water hence a big difference cooked vs. uncooked. 

ian

« Reply #17 on: 14 May, 2018, 12:10:07 pm »
Not over analysing your food is probably a good start. Eat decent portions but bulk up on veg and cut down on carbs (rapidly cutting down on portion size will just send you snacking). Try not to eat between meals (and don't keep snacks in the house) – if you do need to snack, chow down on nuts and fruit, rather than crisps and biscuits. As mentioned, learn to eat slower and chew, and give satiety time to catch up. Stop eating before you are over-full and remind yourself it's normal to be hungry before you eat. Find food you like and remember that nothing is verboten – the occasional dessert or couple of pints are fine. It's not a temporary diet, it's a change. Find foods you like though, otherwise you won't stick to eating things you don't like, and you'll renege. Avoid sugary drinks, it's instant and pointless calories. Avoid heavily processed food and junk. It's easy and quick to pull together a decent meal from actual ingredients. This should be the norm.

Activity. Regular aerobic exercise, but also general background activity. Simple things like taking the stairs, walking from a to b, if you have a sedentary job, getting up and taking a regular walk around. Activity and exercise kick starts your metabolism and, of course, it's key for general and cardiovascular health.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 14 May, 2018, 12:32:07 pm »
Nuts are good snacks if their portion size is controlled as they are around 6kcal per gram.

Cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks can be snacked in unlimited quantities.

I quite like frozen petit pois when I'm making the dinner.

« Reply #19 on: 14 May, 2018, 12:47:11 pm »
I saw something in the Grauniad recently (I tried to find the link last night but couldn't) which gave a lot of weight to the type of microbes you have in your gut being responsible for whether you put on weight or not.
I think it mentioned wholegrain cereals, berries and nuts being good sources of food to create these microbes in your gut.

For various reasons I stopped having my daily porridge with fruit and berries roundabout last October, and I stopped cycling at the same time - since which time I have gained 16kg and gone up a trouser size.
Mr Blobby.

I'm now back on the bike, back on the porridge, a cooked lunch from our works canteen and only some salads in the evening.
Watch this space.

ETA - The thing I noticed with immediate effect, when I started having just salads for my evening meal, I got a much better night's sleep and felt much better rested and refreshed the following morning.

« Reply #20 on: 14 May, 2018, 01:06:33 pm »
Drink water.

Never go shopping on an empty stomach.

ian

« Reply #21 on: 14 May, 2018, 01:24:26 pm »
I think overly focusing on calories is a bit moot – nuts may be calorific, but they're high fibre and tend to come out in much the same way as they go in (this being how they manufacture Snickers bars). Plus they're a good source of nutrients. Calories from a Hobnob and a handful of pecans aren't equivalent. I eat porridge for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and then have a big evening meal. I never really snack and we simply don't buy biscuits, chocolate etc. If we do buy ready meals, I buy the ones made from proper ingredients, and I'm adept at scanning the ingredients list. Generally, if it contains sugar and it's not something that I'd add sugar to, it goes back on the shelf. Also avoid anything that says 'low or reduced' calorie and go for the real McCoy, it'll taste better and have less rubbish in it. I do have a vice and that's beer, of which I drink plenty. Given I eat well and exercise daily, it's not an issue.

I change my diet to this about a decade ago and lost so much weight over a year that everyone assumed I had cancer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 14 May, 2018, 01:55:47 pm »

Normally Cooked,. Meat won't change that much in % when cooked, so if you go with uncooked it will be a minor errror.. Pasta and rice will absorb about 50% water hence a big difference cooked vs. uncooked.

Meat weight won't change much on cooking if cooked 'wet' in a closed pot. Anything roasted or grilled 'dry' will lose lots of water and some fat.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 14 May, 2018, 03:40:19 pm »
I think overly focusing on calories is a bit moot – nuts may be calorific, but they're high fibre and tend to come out in much the same way as they go in (this being how they manufacture Snickers bars). Plus they're a good source of nutrients.

I have teeth and chew the nuts I eat. Since I don't swallow them unchanged, I'm sure I absorb at least some of the oil they contain.

I don't actually count calories but like to be aware of the scale of the food I'm eating. I know which foods to limit and which I can scoff with impunity.

Mixing these things makes sensible meals.

simonp

« Reply #24 on: 14 May, 2018, 04:26:18 pm »
Suggest you should concentrate more on quality i.e. avoid things such as

- cakes, sugary drinks, fried foods (chips, kfc), crisps, biscuits, pizza, etc

replace with whole foods, such as (in no particular order):

- sweet and white potatoes, carrots
 - green leafy vegetables, salad leaves, legumes, etc
 - oats
 - nuts
 - fruit
 - good quality non-processed meat, e.g. a lamb chop is far preferable to sausages (assuming you're not veggie here)
 - dairy

These lists are not exhaustive.