Author Topic: Mercian bike fit experience  (Read 27799 times)

Mercian bike fit experience
« on: 11 June, 2018, 10:16:58 pm »
Hi - I made the trip to Derby last week for a bike fit at Mercian Cycles - it's my 50th birthday next year (which is when the bike will be ready) and will also be 10 years since I got rid of my last car (and all the associated expenses) so I've decided to treat myself.

I was greeted by Grant, who first of all asked me some questions about what i was looking for from the bike (said I wanted a relatively light, but traditional, lugged steel road/sportive/club bike for spring/summer use, to complement my all-weathers  9-year old Hewitt Cheviot tourer - which I had with me) and if I already had one of their specific frame models in mind or not - I'd pretty much already decided on their Strada Speciale, in non-oversized tubing with a 1" threaded stem and a non-sloping top tube, onto which I'll be putting a silver alloy 10-speed Campagnolo setup. After discussing tubing material and my requirements with Grant, I ended up choosing Reynold 853 Pro Team, which Grant thought would work well in that configuration for my size (I'm 5'8", 74Kg) and requirements (even over 953 steel!), but said he doesn't recommend 853 Pro Team non-oversize for much taller/heavier riders on large frames. I did consider as an alternative a King of Mercian, but with "road" geometry, but the Strada seems to be more what I'm after.

Also, one of his first questions after I said I was looking for a road/sportive frame was "how do you feel about toe overlap?", which was not something I was expecting, so didn't quite know how to answer, though my understanding is that it's not usually a big issue in practice - not sure if it will be for this frame or not, as forgot to ask him again about that later...

We then moved onto discussing some basics of the frame and add-ons - 130mm OLN was agreed for the rear, vertical drop-outs, braze-ons on the seatpost tube and downtube for water bottles, no rack braze-ons (I might carry a saddlebag on this bike, but would use my tourer if wanting to carry serious loads and use a rack), clearance for just 39/49mm (or Campag 40/50mm...) brakes (not long drop - I know...), but mudguard clearance (for 23mm tyres only) and drillings/braze-ons for them- TBH I will probably run 25mm tyres on this bike without mudguards, as it's for spring/summer use only, and want something quite stripped-down to the basics, but also wanted the option still to be there for mudguards.

Some things I wasn't sure about:

* when asked whether I wanted to run the rear brake cable (with full outer) through three brazed-on guides on the top of the top tube (the traditional approach), or just to run an exposed cable between two stops on the bottom left of the top tube I wasn't sure - the bike is deliberately going to be quite retro-looking, but the latter setup I thought would look neater, so that's what I said (for now). The other option would be internal routing, but that would cost quite a bit more and I didn't really like the idea. I still have time to change my mind, though, if this seems like a bad idea!

* I asked about whether to have a braze-on for the front-derailleur, as thought that might look neater than a band-on, but Grant said it would be stronger to use a band-on adapter (even with a braze-on FD), and if I was using the FD with a triple (more on that below) would be even more advisable(?).

Anyway, he looked at the old drawings I had from my Hewitt Cheviot bike fit to get a general ball-park for my sizing (though obviously the geometry is different for a touring bike), then told me to pop on their fitting jig. Unfortunately although I had the pedals I would be putting on the bike (Campagnolo Pro Fit), I didn't have the shoes (not bought them yet!), so for sizing had to just use the pedals with toe clips they had fitted.

First off was measuring up the frame/seatpost heights - he asked how much visible seatpost I would be expecting to see, and said about a "handful" is what he usually recommends these days (i.e. more than was traditional, though less than you see on most modern road bikes or even my Hewitt), Grant said doing this would also then leave enough room for a saddlebag etc., especially as it will be a quite small frame (I'm only 5'8" or so) - I said I'd go with his suggestion. Sometime was spent with me pedaling on the jig and grant observing my stance as I pedaled, me getting off whilst he made adjustments, then repeating this until he felt that I was "looking good" and it also felt right to me.

We then moved onto trying to get the measurements right for my reach at the front of the bike and height of the stem, this took a lot longer, partly because one of the indicators Grant would look at for a good fit is the curvature of the rider's spine, but the middle part of my back is very flat (always has been, genetics..), so it was a bit difficult for him to gauge and lots of different adjustments were tried. I also have chronic (if low-grade) lower back pain (partly a consequence of my flat back), so the level of the handlebar below the saddle I can cope with is not as low down as most "road" cyclists would probably want (I told Grant this), though still lower than on my touring bike (on which I'm fine, even on the drops for reasonable distances). I think in the end we got to a position that felt about right and Grant thought looked okay, though I still have a slight nagging doubt that it's not perfect for me. One potential reason is that I haven't ridden a true road bike since my teens, so my "muscle memory" is more used to the position of my touring bike and anything else feels a little strange. In the end I think he said they would need to extend the head tube above top tube slightly more than they usually would to get a good fit for me, but said they've done this for other riders and that it should still look okay.

We talk a bit about wheels and Grant suggested silver Mavic Open Pros on silver Miche hubs - which sounded okay, though I haven't fuly decided on the wheels/hubs yet, and may change my mind.

One thing that did come up - I was intending to use a silver Campagnolo 50/40/30 Comp Triple chainset on the bike, which I'd bought on ebay not the long ago, but Grant thought the 175mm cranks would be way too long for me, and that I should look for 170mm ones - there's a long thread about this here. He also seemed to think putting a triple on a road bike was a bad idea and that I should go for a 50/34 Compact instead - I'm less convinced about this, partly because I don't like the idea of the big jumps between the chain rings (and also rear cogs - as I'd need a wider range cassette than with a triple), but also because it would mean fitting the awkward to maintain Power Torque bottom bracket, if sticking with Campagnolo cranks. As mentioned earlier, I also have quite a bad back and not great knees (have had arthroscopy operations on both), so to date have been more used to spinning on hills than honking up them. The road bike fashionista would not be impressed, though. Perhaps I will find hills less challenging on a road bike than an (unloaded) tourer? Anyway, that decision doesn't have to be made right now, I guess.

Grant then sat down and put his measurements to paper - here's what he came up with:

Regarding seat post height etc. he was basing this on me using a leather saddle (e.g. like the Gilles Berthoud saddle I have on my Hewitt), as that's what I will likely be using.

Other measurements not on this - (quill) stem length 90mm, handlebar width 42cm (though Grant also seemed to think 40cm could be worth a try - I have 42mm on my touring bike, though).

I guess I should post the measurements of my Hewitt Cheviot for comparison when I have time to take a picture.

We then had a discussion about paint and other possible finishing options (e.g. "barber's pole" or not, screw-on metal headbadge vs sticker, old style badge/sticker vs. new etc.), but I'll save that for another post - I made a tentative suggestion, but think I might change that and ask for some feedback here.

Anyway, apologies for rambling, hope this is interesting/helpful for some!
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Re: Mercian bike fit experience
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2018, 11:01:22 pm »
FWIW I agree a braze-on mech mount is a thing that is best avoided on that type of bike, and a band-on adaptor is arguably a better, certainly more versatile solution.

cheers

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2018, 06:45:01 am »
Interesting read and it does sound like a good experience. I wonder about the brake drop and potential for mudguards, running 23mm tyres with guards is okayish but if starting from scratch as you are I wonder if you're limiting your options unnecessarily.  Having a long drop brake would give you the option of 28mm or more without guards and 25 or possibly 28mm with guards. I run 23mm on one bike with guards and do miss the wider tyres ... the roads aren't getting any smoother!

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2018, 07:49:58 am »
That sounds like a nice bike in the making, I’ll watch with interest.

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2018, 08:18:41 am »
* when asked whether I wanted to run the rear brake cable (with full outer) through three brazed-on guides on the top of the top tube (the traditional approach), or just to run an exposed cable between two stops on the bottom left of the top tube I wasn't sure - the bike is deliberately going to be quite retro-looking, but the latter setup I thought would look neater, so that's what I said (for now). The other option would be internal routing, but that would cost quite a bit more and I didn't really like the idea. I still have time to change my mind, though, if this seems like a bad idea!

This may not be an issue, but I have a three-guide (full length outer) ttube steel frame, and find it easier to strap tri-bags etc to the top tube.  This compared to another bike with exposed tt cable run, where the cable, being close to the frame, slides on the straps.  My retro MTB with three exposed cables - is too tricky to bother.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2018, 09:28:28 am »
I would run full length outers as per reason above.  It also makes running rear dynamo cable (should you decide to add a dynamo in the future) under the top tube neater as it blends with the full length outer (you can use bits of electrical tape to join the cable outers together rather than zip ties along top tube).

As for triples, I am just building up a bike with a triple.  Having had a loan bike with a compact chainset I did not like it, too much shifting up front and the back simultaneously rather than a middle ring choice which I can sit in most the time. 

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2018, 11:06:02 am »

This may not be an issue, but I have a three-guide (full length outer) ttube steel frame, and find it easier to strap tri-bags etc to the top tube.  This compared to another bike with exposed tt cable run, where the cable, being close to the frame, slides on the straps.  My retro MTB with three exposed cables - is too tricky to bother.

Do you run the full length outers underneath or on top of the top tube? Sounds like you're suggesting the former, but that didn't seem to be an option.

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2018, 12:29:34 pm »
Depends on where the cable guides are. On mine they run under the top tube as well as down tube. But on cyclo cross bikes cables will often run on top of top tube to aid shouldering the bike during an event.

« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2018, 12:44:29 pm »
On my steel frame the guides are on top, this is possibly due to the frame fit pump fitting directly under the top tube, with pump peg braze-on on head tube.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2018, 01:05:22 pm »
I could be tempted to go the full-outers on top tube approach, then - guess it would quite suite the retro look of the bike....

« Reply #10 on: 12 June, 2018, 01:20:20 pm »
That sounds like a nice bike in the making, I’ll watch with interest.

Thanks, when I originally bought my Hewitt Cheviot I didn't know much about "proper" bikes, having only had mediocre hybrids previously, fortunately that turned out to be a pretty good choice for what I wanted to use it for mostly i.e. commuting, social rides and touring, but I now want to have some lighter and faster that I can use for club rides and sportives and solo exercise, but I just can't get excited about aluminium and carbon frames and love the look of traditional steel road bikes with narrow tubing. Still mulling over ideas for paint etc., but I'll post about some of my thoughts about that soon.

« Reply #11 on: 12 June, 2018, 01:22:29 pm »
FWIW I agree a braze-on mech mount is a thing that is best avoided on that type of bike, and a band-on adaptor is arguably a better, certainly more versatile solution.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking - a braze-on fitting FD can be used with an adaptor clamp, but if I later wanted to use a FD with a band-on adaptor then the braze on would be a pointless appendage, or worse, get in the way of the band. Also I've read in some places that brazing at that point on the frame can weaken the seatpost tube.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 12 June, 2018, 01:42:08 pm »
I prefer bare brake cable along the top tube to full length outer. Eventually the full cable wears away the paint and encourages corrosion.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13 on: 12 June, 2018, 01:51:32 pm »
the top used to be the favoured place for the brake cable at one time, either with campag band-on clips or braze-ons.  I have found that on frames that are made this way, if you stand with one leg over the frame, the cable housing (or the bare cable if it is made that way) tends to scuff the paint on the top tube.

Mounting at the 5 or 7 O'clock position is better from this POV and does not really get in the way of having a pump under the top tube.  It used to be that the position of the cable meant that you have chosen your brakes, too, since some were RH and some were LH, but modern DPs are nearly all made the same way and a LH cable mount is normal.

Needless to say a RH cable run makes for better routing of the rear brake cable with the usual brake setup; this is how Holdsworths etc were done BITD.  The top cable run will work as well with brakes of either type and indeed with the levers set up either way too.

You can have three braze-ons put on the frame and if the end ones are robustly built, you can use a full housing or a bare cable between the ends, simply by using stepped ferrules or not in the end fittings.  If the end fittings are slotted, this makes for easy cable maintenance (you can relube without much faff) but on a road bike brake it is no big deal.

If you are planning to use the bike mostly without mudguards then 50mm drop calipers might be OK. But if it is mostly with mudguards then 60mm drop calipers are pretty much a no-brainer. 

Other things that spring to mind

- do you make the gear cable stops slotted or not?
- do you have DT lever bosses with adaptors so that you can fit DT levers if required?
- why not have the frame built 132.5mm so that you have a wider range of hubs that you can use?
- do you have the fork made so that you can easily run a dynamo cable internally?
- ditto dynamo cabling to the rear?
- a pump peg on the back of the head tube is a useful thing but then so is a race number braze-on...?
- two sets of bottle bosses or three?
- do you have a chain hanging peg on the inside of the RH seatstay?
- do you have mudguard fittings that allow you to QD the mudguards?
- 74 degree seat angle is too steep for a lot of combinations of saddle and seat pin; there is no way I could use that with most leather saddles for example, because they don't slide as far back as far a lot of other saddles.
- do you have double eyes and seat stay mounts so that you can fit a rack if needs be, or will it (if at all) be a minimalist one with a single centre mount at the top?
- if you are fairly sure of the reach but expect to want to move the handlebars up and down a bit, and/or you really want the retro look (steel fork and all), there is much to be said for a quill stem and a 1" steerer.  [I can't say as I have yet seen an A-head setup on a steel framed bike like this that I like the look of in the slightest, and a 1-1/8" steel steerer is complete overkill.]
- you could (bearing in mind the sporty intent of this frame) easily go 10mm shorter in the chainstays and even 20mm might be possible
- have you checked for toe overlap at the front, with/without mudguards?
- Barber's pole? Why not? [BTW you may or may not want one of the stripes to be the same colour as the mudguards]

Probably you have already made your mind up on a lot of these things but maybe not all of them?

cheers

« Reply #14 on: 12 June, 2018, 01:56:11 pm »
Interesting read and it does sound like a good experience. I wonder about the brake drop and potential for mudguards, running 23mm tyres with guards is okayish but if starting from scratch as you are I wonder if you're limiting your options unnecessarily.  Having a long drop brake would give you the option of 28mm or more without guards and 25 or possibly 28mm with guards. I run 23mm on one bike with guards and do miss the wider tyres ... the roads aren't getting any smoother!

To be honest, this (along with whether to go for a triple or not, but that's a less permanent decision) is perhaps the hardest thing I've been trying to make my mind up about. I think I mostly want to run this bike without mudguards, on 25mm tyres - partly because they can get in the way when transporting the bike (e.g. to a sportive) inside a (hire) car or in a bike bag on a plane, but also because they can add weight and (albeit minimal) drag and rattle if not setup well. Also allowing for long-drop brakes may adversely affect the geometry of a short wheelbase lightweight race-frame like this. The other reason is more aesthetic - I think a road bike looks much better without guards and with closer-fitting brakes (but then a wet, muddy line up my back would not be a good look either...)

BTW this is not meant to be a commuter or touring bike or a winter bike - I already have my Hewitt Cheviot (and a Brompton with mudguards) for those duties - although I might want to use this road bike for ultra-lightweight credit card touring in France in summer and guess I could get caught out by rain there...

BUT - I'm still not certain about this choice, obviously mudguards *do* protect you from the worst of the wet, and I'm aware that even if not actually raining, the roads can still be wet. Also if normally running 25mm tyres, I'd have to change to 23mm ones to run the bike with mudguards, if using short-drop brakes, which would be a pain....
I guess mounting guards more or less permanently would also mean less paint chips on the downtube from loose stones and less muck in the drivetrain and brakes too. Argh! Decisions, decisions...

How odd would it look to run long-drop brake with 25mm tyres without mudguards most of the time? Wouldn't there be a big gap?

I think on this Strada Speciale frame with the "shot-in" seat stays I'd probably still only be able to fit 25mm tyres with or without guards, as it looks like the stays would limit the tyre width a bit, but I'm fine with that - however I do realise there is quite a comfort difference between 23mm and 25mm tyres.  If going for long-drop brakes, it might make sense to specify a different frame (e.g. King of Mercia, but setup for "road" geometry)?

« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2018, 01:57:15 pm »
I prefer bare brake cable along the top tube to full length outer. Eventually the full cable wears away the paint and encourages corrosion.

Hmmm, yes that's a point, especially as with a high flat top tube I'll be more or less sitting on it when stationary and off the sadddle...

« Reply #16 on: 12 June, 2018, 02:05:06 pm »
re the FD mount; a band on adaptor allows you to use any braze-on FD or any band on FD. Perhaps most importantly is places no restriction on the size/shape of the chainrings.

To get a band-on adaptor and braze-on FD to fit perfectly, the adaptor can be filed a little so that the angle (when viewed from the side) varies a bit if necessary.

With any single braze-on FD on a braze-on mount, you can vary the chainring size by ~4T and it can be made to work. There are also different braze-on FDs that are meant for different big rings on a standard mount; (for example I have a few rare ones squirrelled away which easily allow a 46T big ring triple on a frame that was meant for a 52T big ring originally). But if you might ever go outside of that you might be in trouble.

In this age of some folk wanting to use oval 53T chainrings and others wanting to use tiny 40T big rings, a braze-on mount certainly seems to be somewhat restrictive.

BTW with modern mechs, chains, and cassettes, good shifting seems to be possible even if the mech hanger is miles away from the cassette; witness the popularity of 'wolf-tooth' gear hangers and the like, which allow bigger sprockets for any given rear mech. It occurs to me that if you wanted a bit more flexibility in the design of your frame re future transmissions, you might want to consider a longer gear hanger from the start, but I don't know if this is something that they offer or not.

cheers

« Reply #17 on: 12 June, 2018, 02:05:30 pm »
Hmmm, yes that's a point, especially as with a high flat top tube I'll be more or less sitting on it when stationary and off the sadddle...
High! Not at all.  I too am your height but I ride larger frames, usually something like 56cm with horizontal top tube - most of my frames are custom.  Yours looks to me as if it is following a a lot of modern fashion.  Small frame, lots of seat tube, low bars offset by pointing the stem upwards.  Not knocking it because it is your choices.

« Reply #18 on: 12 June, 2018, 02:06:33 pm »
Brucey - thanks for your helpful response and questions - I've thought about some of those things, but not all. I'll reply in more detail about them when I have more time later. Regarding barber's pole and paint finish - I'll probably create a separate thread for that, as well as some pics of a few ideas.

« Reply #19 on: 12 June, 2018, 02:07:51 pm »
High! Not at all.  I too am your height but I ride larger frames, usually something like 56cm with horizontal top tube - most of my frames are custom.  Yours looks to me as if it is following a a lot of modern fashion.  Small frame, lots of seat tube, low bars offset by pointing the stem upwards.  Not knocking it because it is your choices.

Well I don't want too much seat tube showing - perhaps they've overdone it in that regard?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #20 on: 12 June, 2018, 02:19:12 pm »
My 'bargain' second hand Mercian turned out to have a broken drive-side dropout. However, it was the excuse I needed for a new paint job and braze-ons:

I deeply regret not getting a pump peg brazed on to the head tube. Maybe next time...

Oh, and there's a thread on Mercian paint options somewhere. I'll dig it out for you.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #21 on: 12 June, 2018, 02:26:06 pm »
re mudguards and bike transport.  You can, if you are prepared to put your mind to it, come up with all kinds of things that make this less of a schlep.

For example on one bike that travelled every weekend, I had slotted mounts at the brakes, and double nuts on nutted brakes; the mudguards were QD as a result, just by loosening the outer nut. [The stay mounts on the frame were done with wing nuts, but these days I'd probably use secu-clips front and rear]. The result was that the mudguards could be on or off inside two minutes.

However there are other options; for example using brackets that are about 2" long and are captive on the hub axles, you can mount mudguards  to the wheels. You loosen the joint at the other end of the 2" bracket to a) let the chain out and b) allow the mudguard to be strapped close to the tyre during transit. Again QD mounts at the brakes are required. The benefit of this scheme is the mudguards are much less hassle in transit; there are no loose parts to flap about or get lost.

The usual SKS chainstay mount is naturally a spring clip type; provided the brace is protected (eg by using tape) the mudguard can be quickly removed at this point. However if you mount the mudguard so that it protrudes downwards below the chainstays, you can fit the clip upside down and this makes it easier to remove the mudguard if the brake mount is in the usual place (on the front side of the seatstay brace).

Another option (which works best with wider clearances and deeper drop brakes), is to split the rear mudguard into two sections and leave the  section between the stays mounted all the time. A splice joint in the mudguard with a fastener of some kind allows a sound joint just ahead of the brake mount.

There are also brackets for QD mudguards that have a sliding barb connection beneath the fork crown; again these only work well if you have generous clearances.

So there is more than one way of skinning this cat!

cheers

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #22 on: 12 June, 2018, 02:39:59 pm »
Oh, and there's a thread on Mercian paint options somewhere. I'll dig it out for you.
It seems that the interactive frame-builder has gone. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=35817.0

New website: https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #23 on: 12 June, 2018, 03:27:00 pm »
My 'bargain' second hand Mercian turned out to have a broken drive-side dropout. However, it was the excuse I needed for a new paint job and braze-ons:

I deeply regret not getting a pump peg brazed on to the head tube. Maybe next time...

BTW *think* that looks about the amount of seatpost showing that Grant said we show for my build, unless the day swing suggests otherwise?

I'd have frame pump peg on a tourer (I have one on one of the seat stays on my Hewitt), but think will just carry a small pump on the road bike

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 12 June, 2018, 04:57:15 pm »
re mudguards and bike transport.  You can, if you are prepared to put your mind to it, come up with all kinds of things that make this less of a schlep.
For example on one bike that travelled every weekend, I had slotted mounts at the brakes, and double nuts on nutted brakes; the mudguards were QD as a result, just by loosening the outer nut. [The stay mounts on the frame were done with wing nuts, but these days I'd probably use secu-clips front and rear]. The result was that the mudguards could be on or off inside two minutes.
However there are other options; for example using brackets that are about 2" long and are captive on the hub axles, you can mount mudguards  to the wheels. You loosen the joint at the other end of the 2" bracket to a) let the chain out and b) allow the mudguard to be strapped close to the tyre during transit. Again QD mounts at the brakes are required. The benefit of this scheme is the mudguards are much less hassle in transit; there are no loose parts to flap about or get lost.
The usual SKS chainstay mount is naturally a spring clip type; provided the brace is protected (eg by using tape) the mudguard can be quickly removed at this point. However if you mount the mudguard so that it protrudes downwards below the chainstays, you can fit the clip upside down and this makes it easier to remove the mudguard if the brake mount is in the usual place (on the front side of the seatstay brace).
Another option (which works best with wider clearances and deeper drop brakes), is to split the rear mudguard into two sections and leave the  section between the stays mounted all the time. A splice joint in the mudguard with a fastener of some kind allows a sound joint just ahead of the brake mount.
There are also brackets for QD mudguards that have a sliding barb connection beneath the fork crown; again these only work well if you have generous clearances.
So there is more than one way of skinning this cat!
cheers

Brucey,
You've posted about this before, and its something I'd like to do. Do you by chance have any pictures of these arrangements? (and the moon on a stick??)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles