Author Topic: I still hate the new Arrivee design  (Read 21215 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: I still hate the new Arrivee design
« Reply #100 on: 20 June, 2018, 04:26:00 pm »
But there's something suspicious going on on the back cover.  I may have to re-consider the stories I hear about invisible cyclists coming out of nowhere... :)

Discussed in the "AWWOO est AWWOO-ed" thread. Most probably the camera's botched interpolation of many shots taken in HDR mode.

Ah, I read that before I'd looked at my copy, and promptly recycled the neurons.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #101 on: 20 June, 2018, 07:31:49 pm »
Sod saving the planet, it's boring. Let's slag off Awwoo some more:

My main gripe with recent issues is that some articles have been pre-shrunk to a tiny font size, so that they fit prettily into the space allocated. (Ms Lenny's article is a clear example - the main text is lovely, but there is a later sub-section laid out for our Lilliputian readers :( )

I know this will be subjective - and with the average AUK being 92years-old, they probably have better eyesight than me - so does anyone know if there are industry standards for this stuff? (I can't see how a varying font size can be justified, IMHO.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #102 on: 20 June, 2018, 07:58:49 pm »
I don’t think there are any rules but in my view anything below 12pt is pushing it and 9pt is evil.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Chris S

« Reply #103 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:02:01 pm »
Surely if you want to be that environmentally friendly, just email the PDF ::-) ;)... or is that too anti-luddite .. ::-) ;)
Anyhow - sorry, can't stop, just off to laminate a route sheet  :D

Quite. Put it online, hosted on a server powered by Unicorn farts (or wind, it's almost the same).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #104 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:30:30 pm »
so does anyone know if there are industry standards for this stuff? (I can't see how a varying font size can be justified, IMHO.)

They're actually the same size (height), it's just that one is a narrower font.

Using a contrasting font for panel copy is standard practice, though it should be just as legible as the main font at the same size. (And all body copy should be set in the same size.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #105 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:35:19 pm »
Why would you bother joining AUK if someone was going to share a Pdf of Arrivee with you? You'd need to enter more than 9 events a year for that to be worthwhile.

I joined to be part of the club, have my results recorded together and to be eligible for badges and member only events. I don't think I knew Arrivee existed at the time.

I do like the articles that aren't lengthy blow-by-blow accounts of rides best. One thing I'd love to see is pitches from organisers to do their rides. In fact, I don't recall seeing anything much written by organisers at all.

I think there's an increasing awareness that content has to be paid for, or it will cease to exist. The problem with electronic media is that it's too easily shared.

I inherited a couple of week's subscription to 'The Times', recently. I'd normally read the Guardian, but that's shrunk so much, that there's barely anything in it. I may have disagreed with a lot of the Times, but it was better written, and had more content.

It's a good sign that someone cares enough about Arrive to adopt a new design. I think that's only likely to happen if the result is something you can hold in your hand, A pdf could look like the AUK website.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #106 on: 20 June, 2018, 09:16:18 pm »
This marks the difference between oldies who grew up with leaded petrol and no congestion charge and younger people who actually give a monkey's about environmental health I guess....

That's pretty funny
Our way of life today is just as unsustainable as any time in the last 50 years
Don't take the moral high ground: it's already underwater

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #107 on: 20 June, 2018, 11:29:34 pm »
This marks the difference between oldies who grew up with leaded petrol and no congestion charge and younger people who actually give a monkey's about environmental health I guess....

That's pretty funny
Our way of life today is just as unsustainable as any time in the last 50 years
Don't take the moral high ground: it's already underwater
Bunk. Old people clearly don't care about environmental health to anything near a degree as under 30's. They'll be dead before the rest of us end up in trouble so stuff it, a full tank of hydrocarbons in my fume spewing 25 MPG death cage please guv'nor, and extra whale-choking plastic wrapping with my copy of arrivée.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #108 on: 21 June, 2018, 12:11:25 am »

I do like the articles that aren't lengthy blow-by-blow accounts of rides best. One thing I'd love to see is pitches from organisers to do their rides. In fact, I don't recall seeing anything much written by organisers at all.

That's because they'd probably like to write about pain-in-the-arse entrants. The sort who constantly demand GPX files, more detailed course descriptions, varied catering, and then phone up to see if they can get a lift back to the start when they prove incapable of finishing.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #109 on: 21 June, 2018, 12:43:45 am »

That's because they'd probably like to write about pain-in-the-arse entrants. The sort who constantly demand GPX files, more detailed course descriptions, varied catering, and then phone up to see if they can get a lift back to the start when they prove incapable of finishing.

Would there not be some sense in some articles about how to organise a BRM? "You've done your SR rides, you've got your RRtY medal. Now you want to give something back, here's how to organise your first audax ride..."

Maybe a column for organisers to anonymously rant about riders bad habbits, a short couple of paragraphs "on this ride i run in the home counties one rider phoned me up to give me an earful that there were no signs for the route, and no support moto..." etc... a sort of confessional. Would allow people to see what others do and learn to not be that guy... a simple space filler

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #110 on: 21 June, 2018, 08:06:03 am »
You can already get it in pdf format. Sign up to Issue and you can download as pdf.

It no longer seems to be up to date on the Issuu site. Is it still being published there ?

citoyen

« Reply #111 on: 21 June, 2018, 08:55:20 am »
Would there not be some sense in some articles about how to organise a BRM?

There's plenty of official documentation for that already on the website - http://www.aukweb.net/organisers/howto/

« Reply #112 on: 21 June, 2018, 10:19:21 am »

There's plenty of official documentation for that already on the website - http://www.aukweb.net/organisers/howto/

"Handed out the cards at the station, mentioned potholes, sent them on their way.  Wandered home."

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #113 on: 21 June, 2018, 10:35:42 am »

"Handed out the cards at the station, mentioned potholes, sent them on their way.  Wandered home."

The point being that organising a BRM is much the same as organising any other event other than some minor admin points:
1) Events have to be scheduled by 1st October for inclusion in the ACP Calendar
2) The organisers return includes finishers times*as I doubt if that informationACP
3) Brevets have to be returned to ValSecs to receive ACP Validation stickers (so no on-the-spot validation)
4) er, thats about it, AFAICR...

*Would be interesting to know if anything is done with that information. PBP publishes finising times but nobody else does, so why bother?

« Reply #114 on: 21 June, 2018, 10:37:41 am »
The article almost writes itself!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #115 on: 21 June, 2018, 03:35:48 pm »

Agreed. There was a small discussion about this on twitter earlier, I had a number of people look at it, including a couple of people who work in accessibility.

The verdict was:

"I read it as ah-wooh-wooh-wooh-weee."

That's a great name for the magazine, it sums up my rides perfectly.
I like the mag, mainly for the content, if it didn't come with the membership I'd buy it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #116 on: 21 June, 2018, 05:02:24 pm »

Agreed. There was a small discussion about this on twitter earlier, I had a number of people look at it, including a couple of people who work in accessibility.

The verdict was:

"I read it as ah-wooh-wooh-wooh-weee."

That's a great name for the magazine, it sums up my rides perfectly.
I like the mag, mainly for the content, if it didn't come with the membership I'd buy it.

The combined efforts of Royal snail and postnl have managed to deliver unto me, my copy of the latest edition of ah wooh wooh weeeee. So I'm gonna crack open a packet of biscuits, and have a read.

J
--

citoyen

« Reply #117 on: 21 June, 2018, 05:13:33 pm »
I'm gonna crack open a packet of biscuits

Custard creams?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #118 on: 21 June, 2018, 05:14:46 pm »
I'm gonna crack open a packet of biscuits

Custard creams?

If only. The stock I imported with me when I last did a supply run to blighty has long since run out. No I'm having to make do with chocolate digestives...

J
--

« Reply #119 on: 21 June, 2018, 05:18:02 pm »
an x-rated event, then!

« Reply #120 on: 21 June, 2018, 05:25:31 pm »
*Would be interesting to know if anything is done with that information. PBP publishes finising times but nobody else does, so why bother?
ACP check the times AUK reports to them and only issues homologation numbers against those who are within time limits....
Also reported to ACP is gender of riders and, in some cases, whether riding a tandem.   Even less done with that information !

All a relic of a bygone age.   
But of course sight of Mr O'Tea's finishing times provide amusement to those AUK volunteers responsible for passing the information back and forth with ACP.  :demon:

« Reply #121 on: 21 June, 2018, 05:39:31 pm »
I would agree that some submitted pieces would benefit from significant editing to make them more readable, but... are you volunteering to do the job?

Absolutely, but then there'd be a lot of crying.

Any chance of starting your post with a précis? There might be people on here with a short attention span

Sorry, what was that?

« Reply #122 on: 22 June, 2018, 11:06:24 am »
ACP check the times AUK reports to them and only issues homologation numbers against those who are within time limits....
Also reported to ACP is gender of riders and, in some cases, whether riding a tandem.   Even less done with that information !

All a relic of a bygone age.   
But of course sight of Mr O'Tea's finishing times provide amusement to those AUK volunteers responsible for passing the information back and forth with ACP.  :demon:

LRM also publish finishing times for rides it homologates, it's not just ACP.

ACP also publish an analysis of PBP finishing times against rider's 400 and 600 qualifying ride finishing times for the previous ride (i.e. in the 2015 brochure they printed the stats about 2011).

Where was the previous post...

I seem to remember that PBP had stats on finishers split up by their finishing times in their qualifying 600 and 400. Ah yes, p42 of https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/download/BROCHURE-GB.pdf (12.5MB)

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #123 on: 22 June, 2018, 11:17:57 am »
ACP also publish an analysis of PBP finishing times against rider's 400 and 600 qualifying ride finishing times for the previous ride (i.e. in the 2015 brochure they printed the stats about 2011).

That is very interesting - and helpful from a rider's point of view, as one who has never done PBP. It gives me an idea of the statistical likelihood of being able to finish PBP, and how long it's likely to take me.

I suppose you have to allow for other influencing factors, like the toughness of terrain on your qualifying rides, and how much over-distance they are, but those tables are certainly useful as a rough guide.

« Reply #124 on: 22 June, 2018, 11:35:10 am »
My view that a 34 hour 600 is optimum is based on that breakdown. 70% of over 1029 riders are spread over a 20 hour period. So lots of company, but with less stress.