Author Topic: Possible Diagnoses, Please  (Read 3078 times)

Possible Diagnoses, Please
« on: 16 June, 2018, 06:41:21 pm »
I will be going to the GP on Monday with this, but a bit of research beforehand might help...
Anyway, about a week ago I started to get a pain by my right shoulder blade. I thought this was due to over exertion in the mosh pit at a gig, but it has persisted.
Symptons are a sort-of rheumatic pain in the muscle. Lately however, and more worryingly, some lumpy, itchy spots have appeared on my skin. This are exuding a clear liquid.
The pain has spread around the area and now is on my chest. I'm concerned that I might have a parasitic infection of some sort, though deity-of-choice only knows what it might be.
Any ideas?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Possible Diagnoses, Please
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2018, 06:51:23 pm »
Shingles?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2018, 06:57:10 pm »
Shingles?

That would be my guess too.

Could you share a picture?

Internet diagnoses are worth what you pay...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2018, 07:31:49 pm »
When I got shingles I luckily didn't have any pain apart from the lymph nodes round my ears/neck hurt about a day before what I would describe as blisters appeared on my chest, but I believe it does have the potential to be quite painful.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2018, 09:08:41 pm »
I have not had shingles. AIUI it is usually painful. The blisters resemble the chickenpox that it is but the distribution is usually that of a peripheral nerve.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2018, 09:27:04 pm »
Does sound like shingles. I had them last year, at first I had stabbing pains in my chest on the right, and I thought I had pulled a muscle. Then some spots appeared on my side and I thought I'd been bitten by something when lying on my side doing the gardening. The upshot was I didn't visit the GP for over a week and by that time I had huge areas on my back and side with spots, pustules, the lot. Very very itchy and painful and it lasted for around four weeks. Even now, nine months later you can see the scars left. Had I gone earlier the drugs may have had more effect.
I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. 

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2018, 11:28:03 pm »
That matches my symptoms quite closely. I thought I'd pulled a muscle at the gig last Friday & ignored it, but it started to move round my torso and yesterday the spots appeared. So far, the patch infected is relatively small & I'm resisting the urge to scratch, but it's tough. Monday morning should see a diagnosis, I hope.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2018, 12:38:41 am »
I'm sure you can get images online for the shingles rash and compare appearances.

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2018, 01:03:28 am »
My *very* limited understanding of shingles is that if you wait more than about 48 hours to get a diagnosis and medication, treatment is pretty ineffective.

When my wife had it a couple of years back, I noted that the active ingredient in the cream she was prescribed was Acyclovir, the same as in cold sore creams like Zovirax (and the Poundland equivalent). If I suspected I had shingles, I'd be very tempted to stick some cream on the spots sharpish on the grounds that we have some in the cupboard and it probably wouldn't do much harm, and it *might* mitigate the chances of residual nerve damage: no doubt Helly or another medic will be along soon to say precisely why I'm misguided.

(Delightful pics at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shingles/)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2018, 01:20:07 am »
Certainly the quicker the better but I don't think it would be practical to get a doctor before Monday, given when the symptoms started.
Acyclovir is prescribed as tablets for shingles.

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2018, 01:43:53 am »

Does that mean there's no point applying cream to the spots if you happen to have it handy? I'm guessing dosage/absorption/effectiveness isn't going to be be great.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 17 June, 2018, 07:32:34 am »
God, that sounds like the kind of fun you don't want. GWS.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12 on: 17 June, 2018, 07:38:00 am »
Walk in centre.
This is what they are for. Non- life threatening conditions at the weekend. They will either have a pharmacy or know where the open one is.

« Reply #13 on: 17 June, 2018, 10:43:03 am »
Urgent Care Centres, they seem to be called these days. Seconded, though all the ones round here that were in independent premises seem to have closed, and been replaced by ones attached to the local hospital. (London does have a lot of hospitals though, so that's not really restrictive.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 17 June, 2018, 12:08:55 pm »

Does that mean there's no point applying cream to the spots if you happen to have it handy? I'm guessing dosage/absorption/effectiveness isn't going to be be great.

I don't know. It won't do any harm but might have scant effect.

This is really not my field!

« Reply #15 on: 17 June, 2018, 04:01:03 pm »
TBH it's not that bad at the moment, so I'm holding fire until I can hopefully see a GP tomorrow. Definitely got to the itchy stage thobut. Must resist!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 17 June, 2018, 05:00:14 pm »
Get some calamine lotion, will at least soothe the itching til tomorrow.

« Reply #17 on: 18 June, 2018, 11:37:37 am »
Shingles it is! I was advised I could go back to work & I was willing to do so, but my over-cautious supervisor said no! I have asked him to seek the advice of the Occupational Health Team, as I think I'd be fine.

« Reply #18 on: 19 June, 2018, 04:57:23 pm »
Returned to work today, but I really must take in a t-shirt tomorrow. The polyster work shirt they provide is rough on my sensitive spotty bits!

My GP was pretty good at showing me that it is my right T3 nerve that is the offending path for the virus. T = thorassic, I spose?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 19 June, 2018, 05:07:14 pm »
Thoracic indeed.

C1-8 Cervical
T1-12 Thoracic
L 1-5 Lumbar
S 1-5 Sacral

« Reply #20 on: 19 June, 2018, 05:42:17 pm »
T3 would be the one going under my armpit, wouldn't it!

Thanks for not pointing out my spelling mistake :)