Author Topic: Question to watch wearers.  (Read 6525 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Question to watch wearers.
« Reply #50 on: 06 September, 2018, 03:57:18 pm »
Left-handed, except for Cricket, Golf. Tennis, minded to use 80% right, 20% left. Can write slowly with my right hand and occasionally it is mirror writing.

DIY? Completely ambi. It's great to be able to switch hands depending on what angle of challenge is being faced.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #51 on: 06 September, 2018, 04:02:05 pm »
My sister's opposite number!
If you peel vegetables, in which hand do you hold the knife/peeler?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #52 on: 06 September, 2018, 08:28:29 pm »
I bat right handed, (bloody school) but bowl left handed.  (Taught by my mom, a cricket fanatic, who knew I was left handed.
I always struggled with potato peeler when they were handed.  Obviously no problem these days.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #53 on: 18 September, 2018, 10:22:20 pm »
I'm nominally left handed, but over the decades have ensured I can use both fairly equally.  Very handy with things like DIY.  You know, just in case some shocking accident chopped off my left hand.  A party trick of mine is to write a different thing with each hand, at the same time.  Freaks people out.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #54 on: 18 September, 2018, 10:54:14 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #55 on: 18 September, 2018, 11:53:44 pm »
My sister's opposite number!
If you peel vegetables, in which hand do you hold the knife/peeler?

Either. It depends on which is most useful at the time. Given many devices are designed for and rightanders, it pays, as a lefty, to be able to cope in a biased world.
It is simpler than it looks.

Ben T

« Reply #56 on: 19 September, 2018, 07:25:53 am »
Left-handed, except for Cricket, Golf. Tennis, minded to use 80% right, 20% left. Can write slowly with my right hand and occasionally it is mirror writing.

DIY? Completely ambi. It's great to be able to switch hands depending on what angle of challenge is being faced.

My Dad is exactly the same as that, left handed but plays golf right handed. And cricket , hypothetically, as he doesn't actually ever play cricket.

You get the odd ambidextrous person playing squash, they sometimes think it's an advantage to keep swapping hands and have no backhand but it's actually worse as it takes them too long to make the switch.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 19 September, 2018, 01:13:18 pm »
You get the odd ambidextrous person playing squash, they sometimes think it's an advantage to keep swapping hands and have no backhand but it's actually worse as it takes them too long to make the switch.

Two bats.

Ben T

« Reply #58 on: 19 September, 2018, 01:58:06 pm »

Two bats.

:-\ :-\ might work....  :)

« Reply #59 on: 19 September, 2018, 02:28:56 pm »
The other day I saw a video in which a right-handed luthier demonstrated a guitar he'd just finished, remarking in passing that it was a left-handed guitar but he'd do his best. The bugger played better than I do with my git the right way round.  I'm strongly right-handed, but my left hand has learnt to do quite delicate things that my right hand can't manage.

This is an interesting topic (pace ESL).  I'm seriously left-sided: left-handed, even better with my left-foot than my right, bat and bowl left-handed, though not at the same time, hold single hand tools in my left hand, etc, prefer turning right hand corners to left-hand ones, etc.  But here are two things I do right-handed which are products of upbringing.  I eat the knife and fork course "right-handed".  I think this may be because I'm from a large family and you sat where you were put and just picked the implements up where they lay.  But I suspect this is also complicated by the fact that I think right-haders missed a trick when they were designing the world.  I find it much easier to find my mouth with my left hand.  The same observation is true for stringed instruments - I learned on my brother's guitar so never even thought about changing the strings round.  And I think I've got my (by far) best hand doing the hard work, although I was always a good right hand picker till arthritis took it away.

Now, Jimi Hendrix played predominantly left-handed with a right-handed guitar turned over, and without changing the strings round.  But he was very competent with it the right way up, too.  It's no wonder God got angry with him.  We are both about equal in competence now.

I usually wear a watch on the table somewhere.

Samuel D

« Reply #60 on: 19 September, 2018, 05:08:49 pm »
I find it much easier to find my mouth with my left hand.

However, so do I and I’m right-handed. I think this shows that practice matters a great deal in these things (as with doing up buttons on male/female clothing of the opposite sort to which you are accustomed).

« Reply #61 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:12:54 am »
I used to practise the female clothing stuff but I got sent on a course.....