Author Topic: Shaving brushes - synthetic or badger?  (Read 2361 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Shaving brushes - synthetic or badger?
« on: 06 September, 2018, 12:00:05 pm »
Any thoughts or recommendations? Should one use a stand, as opposed to casually plonking upside down, bristle high?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Shaving brushes - synthetic or badger?
« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2018, 12:02:05 pm »
A wowbrush will get jammed in your spokes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2018, 12:37:56 pm »
I was given a badger one about a billion years ago, probably by a family member. It does the job very well.  I've always parked it "bristles high", and I'm not aware of any deterioration (but then it's the only I've had all my life, so how do I know?? )

I'm rather fond of badgers, and grateful to the previous owner of the bristles.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2018, 12:45:34 pm »
Badger, in a stand, bristles down.  Had it ages, and I don't expect to buy another in my lifetime.  If I had the skills, I could have made my own from the dozens of dead badgers I see on the roads around here every year.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2018, 01:09:18 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SYQG569yP-E&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SYQG569yP-E&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/SYQG569yP-E

« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2018, 01:22:30 pm »
Badger, bristles down. A nice brush is a pleasant luxury, but likely as effective as a cheaper one. I'm rather fond of my Trumper

ian

« Reply #6 on: 06 September, 2018, 01:47:53 pm »
For authenticity I always use an actual live badger from the garden. They struggle particularly when you try to lather them up, but there's a knack. Using actual badgers is also sustainable – each badger is reusable multiple times (though you may find they get more evasive when you subsequently try to reuse them). Remember to get a alum stick to deal with any nicks and cuts.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7 on: 06 September, 2018, 01:51:11 pm »
The reason for the enquiry is because my ~15 year old Simpson No.46 badger brush doesn't seem to 'hold' as much lather as it used to, which of course could be down to my preferred soap - Lush's 'Honey I Washed The Kids' having changed its formula or some such?

Then read on the Simpson's WEBSITE about not using water any hotter than 'hand hot' - which I definitely haven't heeded, ever + failing to wear a white vest to shave in :facepalm:

So thought about another brush (and possible vest) - but forgot how much one can spend on a brush :o

ps Thanks Kim - my life up until now, has avoided any knowledge of Billy Bailey and Brian Adams - don't appear to have missed much, then ::-)

« Reply #8 on: 06 September, 2018, 01:55:23 pm »
Mine is from Trumpers and is always  hung bristle down.

« Reply #9 on: 06 September, 2018, 02:01:42 pm »
Much of my hair regularly ended up on the floor at Trumpers, before I bought some clippers.

Just saying.

« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2018, 06:22:22 am »
I have a cheap synthetic brush, and a proper badger brush with a nice handle that I paid over €60. One of them is definitely better looking on the bathroom shelves, but honestly, I can't tell any difference in the shave quality.

A

« Reply #11 on: 07 September, 2018, 06:41:02 am »
I had a Simpsons badger.  I replaced that with one of the latest “silvertip” synthetics from Edwin Jagger which I think is just as good. Nice & soft, doesn’t moult bristles & can be left bristles up.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 07 September, 2018, 10:22:10 am »
Much of my hair regularly ended up on the floor at Trumpers, before I bought some clippers.

Just saying.

;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #13 on: 07 September, 2018, 03:42:12 pm »
Don't talk to me about badgers  >:(  This Wednesday evening I came within 1 foot of hitting one whilst myself and a chum rode our bicycles along one of Mid-Essex's finest lanes.  Last Wednesday myself and another chum narrowly missed a brace of badgers by a slightly wider, but nonetheless scary margin.  Tomsk of this parish has been taken out by a badger and huggy, also of this parish, was attacked by one  :o  I'd happily turn them all into shaving brushes!

« Reply #14 on: 07 September, 2018, 04:51:36 pm »
For goodness sake gentlemen ((an ladies of course) it's nothing to do with the brush, the soap or the live badger.

It's all to do with the quality of the water. Hard water = rubbish foam. Soft water = profusion of bubbles.

PH

Bees do nothing invariably.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 07 September, 2018, 05:24:19 pm »
Don't talk to me about badgers  >:(  This Wednesday evening I came within 1 foot of hitting one whilst myself and a chum rode our bicycles along one of Mid-Essex's finest lanes.  Last Wednesday myself and another chum narrowly missed a brace of badgers by a slightly wider, but nonetheless scary margin.  Tomsk of this parish has been taken out by a badger and huggy, also of this parish, was attacked by one  :o  I'd happily turn them all into shaving brushes!

I was knocked off my bike by a genuine West Country Somerset badger shortly after leaving Glastonbury. I think that it has probably been shot, as a result of Government Diktat.

Contrary to appearances, I have never experienced the blunt end of a badger on my chin.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 07 September, 2018, 06:28:27 pm »
Don't talk to me about badgers  >:(  This Wednesday evening I came within 1 foot of hitting one whilst myself and a chum rode our bicycles along one of Mid-Essex's finest lanes.  Last Wednesday myself and another chum narrowly missed a brace of badgers by a slightly wider, but nonetheless scary margin.

Sounds like a close shave...

« Reply #17 on: 07 September, 2018, 06:29:37 pm »
Don't talk to me about badgers  >:(  This Wednesday evening I came within 1 foot of hitting one whilst myself and a chum rode our bicycles along one of Mid-Essex's finest lanes.  Last Wednesday myself and another chum narrowly missed a brace of badgers by a slightly wider, but nonetheless scary margin.

Sounds like a close shave...
Ta! Da!  ;D

« Reply #18 on: 11 September, 2018, 07:51:41 am »
Floris used to have 'reasonable' priced shaving brushes, now they're all rather silly:
https://www.florislondon.com/en_eur/grooming/shaving-soap-and-accessories

I have one (not insanely expensive) that I bought some 15 years ago. Was then given a supposedly fancy Italian one,but that quickly fell apart (and never felt as comfortable either). Can't see any reason why the Floris one wont last another 10 years.
I also used to buy their shaving soap (and used to stock up when I visit London), but I can see I'm also priced out of that now...although they do last about a year.