Author Topic: Recommend a wheelset...  (Read 1657 times)

Recommend a wheelset...
« on: 25 September, 2018, 11:30:15 am »
I would like to get a lighter wheelset for my steel bike to replace the very solid 36h, Deore hub, Sputniks @ ~2.9kg/pair (without tyres). 

For day rides/audax, rim brakes, lighter ~2kg-ish for pair?, relatively strong <=32h spokes, for 28 to 32mm tyres, and good value...

edit. I've seen a Mavic Open Elite 32h Deore rim wheelset, which I guess are decent, but 32C tyres look a marginal fit?
edit2.  if I set a limit of 28C, that may expand the choice I guess.

Any thoughts?  :)

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Recommend a wheelset...
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2018, 03:08:39 pm »
give Spa cycles a ring and see what they recommend?

FWIW I recently built a set with Archetype rims, 32/36 spoking, and LX hubs.  The parts cost less than £200. A set of Taiwanese cartridge bearing hubs would weigh about 150-200g less, but be less durable too.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2018, 10:43:26 pm »
give Spa cycles a ring and see what they recommend?

FWIW I recently built a set with Archetype rims, 32/36 spoking, and LX hubs.  The parts cost less than £200. A set of Taiwanese cartridge bearing hubs would weigh about 150-200g less, but be less durable too.

cheers

Thanks, I'll try Spa. 

In the meantime, I've removed the Sputniks/32C DeltaCruiser+ (4.2kg) I've had on that bike since TINAT, and put on some spare Shimano rims/28mm Paselas (2.5kg) to test; a saving of ~1.7kg.  Did notice that the rim braking surface is less generous though on the Shimano rims - for the longer canti blocks.  edit.

« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2018, 10:51:13 pm »
Given you’ve currently got Deore I presume rear spacing is 135mm?

Also, do you want tubeless compatibility and silver orb black rims?

I built up a set previously with Hope road hubs and Kinlin 22T rims, 32 spokes, and they are doing sterling service under my 100kgs mate. I’ve a similar set with a 105 rear and dynamo front also in regular use. That sort of wheel is lovely to ride.

« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2018, 11:04:27 pm »
Actually the 531 frame spacing is 130mm, so for the Deore wheels I've always had pull the frame apart slightly - fairly easily done.  The 130mm oln shimano R501 wheels slotted straight on.  I guess I probably go with a 105 hubs/black rims/ss spokes for a new wheelset, as have 105 Shifters/FD/triple cs. 

Samuel D

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2018, 11:11:45 pm »
I think you first need to definitively choose which tyres you want to use. I would run 28 mm tyres on the Mavic Open Elite (but some brake quick-releases do not open enough to let the wheel out without partially deflating the tyre, especially if you like your brakes to come on early in the lever stroke). But 32 mm would be a step too far. It’s beyond Mavic’s recommendation too.

For 32 mm tyres you might consider the Exal LX17, unless it’s too heavy for your tastes?

On that topic: if, as is usually the case for some reason, wheel weights are considered without skewers, you arrive at about 1.9 kg with heavy (i.e. good) Shimano hubs, 36 spokes front and rear, brass nipples, and 450 g rims. Or 2.0 kg with that lot and 500 g rims. So your goal is reasonable.

A spoke weighs about 3 g and a brass nipple about 1 g, so using 32-spoke wheels front and rear knocks a packet of Polo mints off the whole bicycle weight (compared to 36-spoke wheels). This isn’t something that can be felt or translated to a measurable speed difference.

And that’s assuming the same rim weight, but paradoxically more spokes allow you to run a lighter rim that, since it cuts weight from the periphery, might make the wheel feel a touch lighter. Might!

I like plenty of spokes, but even if you don’t, the rim is a likelier place than the spokes to save weight and feel it.

Don’t forget the tyres and tubes! Light ones save more weight than you can easily save on wheels, and far more importantly, carefully chosen light tyres will have vastly lower rolling resistance than your Delta Cruiser Plus tyres.

« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2018, 11:44:45 pm »
A spoke weighs about 3 g

in a 700C wheel a typical 14G PG spoke weighs about 7-8g  and a typical DB one is 5-6g. Not sure where you got 3g from?

cheers

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2018, 11:47:06 pm »
DT Swiss R460 rims are bit wider than classic Open Pro, not much heavier. So fine for wider tyres (they say 23-60mm). And option of tubeless.
Rose can do a nice set with 105 hubs. https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-road-wheels-28700c-dt-swiss-r-460-shimano-105-5800-2670879

« Reply #8 on: 26 September, 2018, 12:09:09 am »
Thanks SD/fuaran.  The Rose wheels look interesting - wonder what the weight is.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #9 on: 26 September, 2018, 08:22:43 am »
I have been very happy with Kinlin XR31 rims, DT Swiss 350 hubs and Sapim D-light spokes.

Samuel D

« Reply #10 on: 26 September, 2018, 10:50:28 am »
A spoke weighs about 3 g

in a 700C wheel a typical 14G PG spoke weighs about 7-8g  and a typical DB one is 5-6g. Not sure where you got 3g from?

cheers

From a photo of a batch of spokes on my digital balance that weighed 105 g. I divided that by 36 but of course it was only 18 spokes of a rear wheel. The other 18 weighed 108 g and I did correctly use the total for my wheel weights above.

Oops. Nearly two packets of Polo mints!

Thanks SD/fuaran.  The Rose wheels look interesting - wonder what the weight is.

The DT Swiss R 460 rim has a quoted weight of 460 g. If it’s like others, it probably weighs a little more than claimed, but let’s go with 460 g.

Shimano hub weights are pretty accurate in my experience and they say the FH-5800 is 368 g and the HB-5800 155 g for a total of 523 g (excluding skewers as usual).

If 64 spokes and brass nipples weigh 440 g, and they roughly do unless I’ve blundered again, that takes us to a touch under 1.9 kg or a touch more with rim tape. Pretty good going for the money although you’ll probably need to stress relieve Rose wheels and I would avoid 11-speed hubs unless I was using an 11-speed cassette – the spoke bracing angles from the right flange are needlessly compromised otherwise.

On the last point, you can still just about find FH-5700 hubs for sale in some varieties. A better bet for 8/9/10-speed cassettes in my opinion.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11 on: 26 September, 2018, 12:18:05 pm »
There's a suitable pair for sale in Classifieds
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.