Author Topic: Small video recorder advice  (Read 2366 times)

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
Small video recorder advice
« on: 28 September, 2018, 03:45:55 pm »
Hi everyone,  Can anyone advise please.  I'm looking for a small, cheap video recording device. With good sound quality to use for vlogging. I want something small compact, light weight, can be mounted on a selfie stick (as I need to us it on the go) and self contained (ie I don't need a mic, although having a mic socket option would be useful on occasions). I've looked at action cameras.  They,re okay but in most cases the sound isn't great.  Any advice would be great fully received. 

Thanks awfully.

Lou

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Small video recorder advice
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2018, 04:31:25 pm »
No expert but I think your smartphone should be able to do all that.

Madame Vice Chairperson rode a chopper across the US this Summer, from sea to shining sea and filmed the lot with an iPhone. We've yet to see the finished product but in her blog posts reckoned you could make an actual movie with it...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2018, 05:04:57 pm »
What Tors says, the video and sound quality of a modern smartphone are excellent, and video stabilization etc. is built in. I film a lot of my wife's concerts on my iPhone and they're good enough for their website and promotional activities.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2018, 05:15:44 pm »
If using a phone, a clip-on mic could give better sound quality. eg Rode VideoMic Me is pretty small, just plugs in. And includes a furry windshield.

lou boutin

« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2018, 05:22:22 pm »
Hi everyone, Thanks for the responses thus far.

I don't have an great phone - I gave a Lenovo 5 which works well for the general stuff but dies a death when recording - the battery life is about 10 mins on record mode, which is why I was looking for another option.

lou boutin

« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2018, 05:48:52 pm »
On saying that, the alternative is using my mini iPad.  To this end, does anyone know of a selfie/recording stick I could use with a minI iPad?

Thanks.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2018, 05:49:47 pm »
Ok, so battery heavy smartphone and a bloody great power pack?

You would need others to advise about battery life and sound quality but what about something like a Samsung tablet?
VELOMANCER

lou boutin

« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2018, 06:05:49 pm »
Ok, so battery heavy smartphone and a bloody great power pack?

You would need others to advise about battery life and sound quality but what about something like a Samsung tablet?

I started to wonder that myself.  See above. I could use a mini iPad. I'm not a selfie stick expert (mine was a £1 from the SU shop). If I could find a filming/selfie stick test would accommodate a mini iPad, I think I'm sorted.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 28 September, 2018, 06:47:26 pm »
VELOMANCER

« Reply #9 on: 28 September, 2018, 06:49:43 pm »
I believe there are people who mod action-cams to add an extrenal microphone, mostly motorcyclists.
 I have got one bought from a local biker.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

lou boutin

lou boutin

« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2018, 08:28:24 pm »
I believe there are people who mod action-cams to add an extrenal microphone, mostly motorcyclists.
 I have got one bought from a local biker.

Okay, I'll keep my eyes open for a second hand action camera. Thank you.

« Reply #12 on: 28 September, 2018, 08:43:28 pm »
Such a device used to exist, the Canon Legria Mini X. https://cvp.com/product/canon_legria_mini_x_camcorder

They're very handy, so you don't see them for sale used. But they're too close to mobile phones to have caught on. I've got one. The video isn't great, but there's manual sound, controlled by a wheel on the side, with is why people like them.

lou boutin

« Reply #13 on: 28 September, 2018, 09:23:31 pm »
Okay thanks. I was looking for something with good sound and video quality.  I'll keep it in mind though.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #14 on: 28 September, 2018, 09:40:18 pm »
Most GoPros let you use an external mic, though you need an USB adapter cable to plug it in. The official adapter is rather expensive, but there are some cheaper versions. Not sure if there is a decent way of mounting the mic on the camera.

Also you can get a selfie stick with built in battery pack. Might help if using a phone or tablet.

lou boutin

« Reply #15 on: 29 September, 2018, 10:10:57 am »
Ooh thanks for that.  I had no idea about built in battery pack self sticks.

I'llhave a look at the GoPro. I'd stayed clear of them as the other action cameras that I looked at were poor sound quality and I couldn't figure out the whole mic thing.

« Reply #16 on: 30 September, 2018, 07:15:14 pm »
A go pro with external microphone and a selfie stick gimbal would give great stable video

for microphones https://havecamerawilltravel.com/gopro/gopro-external-microphones/

I believe the new GoPro 7 has much better built in audio https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/09/gopro-hero7-black-in-depth-review.html Although he comments on how bulky the adapter is and that the Garmin Virb allows bluetooth microphones which might work better.

lou boutin

« Reply #17 on: 30 September, 2018, 09:18:25 pm »
Brilliant.  Thank you.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #18 on: 30 September, 2018, 11:35:41 pm »
Budget? A compact camera may do what you want. It also depends how much editing you want to do.
Mini iPad with an external (or bluetooth) mic would be fine for basic vlog.

I do a lot of video stuff for my teaching and train my colleagues too.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

lou boutin

« Reply #19 on: 01 October, 2018, 11:12:53 am »
I think I'm best starting basic and then if I don't get too fed up with it or find it far too complicated/ confusing - I find most things confusing - I may progress.  I'm planning on starting with the mini iPad,  stick with a charger and a mic. A colleague has offered to lend me their Bluetooth clip on mic to see if that's surfices.

Re price should I move on £150 ish!