Author Topic: Reflective soft shell performance kit  (Read 7904 times)

Ben T

Re: Reflective soft shell performance kit
« Reply #25 on: 15 October, 2018, 10:58:45 pm »
I predominantly cycle in Amsterdam

Whilst I am currently in Amsterdam....

Quote from: quixoticgeek
I live in Amsterdam

We know;D :) You live in Amsterdam. We get it!  :P

My objection comes from the fact that many cycle companies hear this and then only produce stuff in bright colours. It can be hard to find things in nice dark colours, and if you're female, it can be even harder, esp if you don't want PINK!

Well there's a disparity then between (women's) jerseys and (men's) (or unisex) jackets because i can't seem to find a high quality packable waterproof that isn't black. If you can find one please let me know. I would be happy with a pink one.  :)

Yeah, at night, flourescents don't work, as they rely on Ultra violet to floures.

I don't want like being dressed head to toe in bright colours, is that too much to ask?

Jackets, men's, packable. 5 to choose from. All dark, either black, navy or grey. One has an option of a bit of yellow or red on it but it's only a small token panel.
https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/shop-men/clothing/jackets/?prefn1=benefits&prefv1=packable

Women have it slightly brighter actually, with 2 out of 7 having brightly coloured options. The other 5 out of 7 dark.
https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/shop-women/clothing/jackets/?prefn1=benefits&prefv1=packable

Unfortunately for many companies they seem to be able to offer you only BRIGHT, or only dark. And some companies will make a nice jersey in Black this year, and by the time you've worn it out the replacement is PINK or YELLOW.

It's a pet hate of mine. You'd think with modern manufacturing it would be easier to make things in a wider range, and offer better size options in them all too.

Anyway each unto their own.

J
How do they wear out? I don't seem to suffer from jerseys "wearing out". I have an assos one that must be at least ten years old but to be fair to cheaper brands they don't seem to wear out either. Seriously.
What are you doing to them that makes them wear out? Do you tumble dry them or wash at high temperatures?

Oh sorry just remind me, where do you live again? I've forgot  ;)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 15 October, 2018, 11:11:35 pm »
I predominantly cycle in Amsterdam

Except I said that at 1925...

Whilst I am currently in Amsterdam....

And that I said at 2122

Quote from: quixoticgeek
I live in Amsterdam

We know;D :) You live in Amsterdam. We get it!  :P

And I can't find that phrase anywhere in this thread... Where are you pulling that from?

Given that there is assumption everyone on here is a) British and b) resident in the UK. It is occasionally worth reminding people that there is a world outside her Britannic Majesty's United Kingdom...

Where do you live?

My objection comes from the fact that many cycle companies hear this and then only produce stuff in bright colours. It can be hard to find things in nice dark colours, and if you're female, it can be even harder, esp if you don't want PINK!

Well there's a disparity then between (women's) jerseys and (men's) (or unisex) jackets because i can't seem to find a high quality packable waterproof that isn't black. If you can find one please let me know. I would be happy with a pink one.  :)

Yeah, at night, flourescents don't work, as they rely on Ultra violet to floures.

I don't want like being dressed head to toe in bright colours, is that too much to ask?

Jackets, men's, packable. 5 to choose from. All dark, either black, navy or grey. One has an option of a bit of yellow or red on it but it's only a small token panel.
https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/shop-men/clothing/jackets/?prefn1=benefits&prefv1=packable

Women have it slightly brighter actually, with 2 out of 7 having brightly coloured options. The other 5 out of 7 dark.
https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/shop-women/clothing/jackets/?prefn1=benefits&prefv1=packable

How packable do you need to go?

Unfortunately for many companies they seem to be able to offer you only BRIGHT, or only dark. And some companies will make a nice jersey in Black this year, and by the time you've worn it out the replacement is PINK or YELLOW.

It's a pet hate of mine. You'd think with modern manufacturing it would be easier to make things in a wider range, and offer better size options in them all too.

Anyway each unto their own.

J
How do they wear out? I don't seem to suffer from jerseys "wearing out". I have an assos one that must be at least ten years old but to be fair to cheaper brands they don't seem to wear out either. Seriously.
What are you doing to them that makes them wear out? Do you tumble dry them or wash at high temperatures?

Oh sorry just remind me, where do you live again? I've forgot  ;)

My Rapha Brevet jersey is starting to wear from my backpack used when commuting, the threads are pulled in a few places, and general abrasion has got a few marks showing on the right side zip pocket on the back. The reflective bit on the left arm is starting to flake off. There is hole on it too (repaired). I've owned it since march. But I do practically live in it, including sleeping in it and wearing it for several days at a go on bike packing trips...

I wash it on a 30°C gentle wool cycle, using ecover delicate. I wash it once a week typically, tho it has gone for 10+ days of continuous wear without being washed. This jersey has lasted longer than the cheap ones I've used form decathlon in the past. I'll replace this one before the spring.

As to your last question: Europe. You?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #27 on: 15 October, 2018, 11:19:06 pm »
My Rapha Brevet jersey is starting to wear from my backpack used when commuting, the threads are pulled in a few places, and general abrasion has got a few marks showing on the right side zip pocket on the back. The reflective bit on the left arm is starting to flake off. There is hole on it too (repaired). I've owned it since march. But I do practically live in it, including sleeping in it and wearing it for several days at a go on bike packing trips...
don't Rapha do a replacement service for worn out stuff? I'm disappointed to hear it's been worn out in the space of less than a year. My £7 Lidl jersey is doing an admirable job for backpack commutes, deliveroo and regular riding alike https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108895.0
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 15 October, 2018, 11:21:05 pm »
don't Rapha do a replacement service for worn out stuff? I'm disappointed to hear it's been worn out in the space of less than a year. My £7 Lidl jersey is doing an admirable job for backpack commutes, deliveroo and regular riding alike https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108895.0

Dunno about worn out, but they do 50% off if you go down a size within a year of buying it. I'm 14kg lighter than when I bought it, so I can take advantage of this.

J
--

Ben T

« Reply #29 on: 15 October, 2018, 11:26:01 pm »
And I can't find that phrase anywhere in this thread... Where are you pulling that from?

Pretty much any one of your other posts.  ;D

Given that there is assumption everyone on here is a) British and b) resident in the UK. It is occasionally worth reminding people that there is a world outside her Britannic Majesty's United Kingdom...

Where do you live?

In Britain, strangely  ;D

I wash it on a 30°C gentle wool cycle, using ecover delicate. I wash it once a week typically, tho it has gone for 10+ days of continuous wear without being washed. This jersey has lasted longer than the cheap ones I've used form decathlon in the past. I'll replace this one before the spring.

Ah. I guess that answers my other question that I was going to all about why do gore recommend not using a backpack.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 15 October, 2018, 11:34:27 pm »

Pretty much any one of your other posts.  ;D

If you're going to quote me, please do it accurately. it's not like I'm not giving plenty of ammo for you...

Where do you live?

In Britain, strangely  ;D

Wanna be more specific?

Ah. I guess that answers my other question that I was going to all about why do gore recommend not using a backpack.

The shakedry fabric from gore removes the outer layer of fabric that makes up the traditional gore 3 ply laminate. This means that there is no outer layer to wet out and reduce the efficacy of the membrane, however it does mean the rather fragile membrane is now exposed. This reduces the durability of the jacket.

It's also worth noting that having a backpack on is going to reduce the available surface area of the jacket, reducing the breath-ability.

J
--

Ben T

« Reply #31 on: 15 October, 2018, 11:41:05 pm »

Fit in a small saddle bag.

Wanna be more specific?

Fairly boring Northern suburbia, outskirts of generic non descript east midlands town, not that anyone cares. Where I live isn't a status symbol to me.

If you're going to quote me, please do it accurately. it's not like I'm not giving plenty of ammo for you...

Sorry it's just I'm on a tablet atm and it's awkward copying and pasting. You get the general point - you seem to feel the need to prefix every post with a reminder that you live in Amsterdam  ;D

Good for you  ::-)  ;)

It's also worth noting that having a backpack on is going to reduce the available surface area of the jacket, reducing the breath-ability.

J
I was also wondering what effect wearing a reflective vest* over it has on any of its properties.

*Such as is mandatory on PBP

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 16 October, 2018, 12:14:03 am »

What I was thinking if wouldn't be compact enough for that.

Wanna be more specific?

Fairly boring Northern suburbia, outskirts of generic non descript east midlands town, not that anyone cares. Where I live isn't a status symbol to me.

I don't think if it as a status symbol. It's more that having seen the cycling culture here, it upsets me that the UK seems simply unable to grasp the basics of enabling a greater uptake of cycling.

Many UK cyclists don't help this, feeling the need to Don full battle dress for a ride to the shops. High visibility clothing should not be necessary to travel down a street. We wouldn't expect car drivers to wear a helmet and Nomex suit to drive to work, so why do we expect the same of cyclists.

When you see measures taken supposedly to improve safety, they invariably are victim blaming and misguided. Look at Australian helmet laws, look at Frances crazy hivi and headphone laws.

I now actively try to keep my riding in France to a minimum because I can't listen to a podcast while I ride there, because some bean counter with no clue thinks is makes cycling safer. It doesn't. The hivi doesn't either. You know what does? Education of all road users! Sensible laws, and a proper cycling culture.

I wonder where there's a good example of this...

Sorry it's just I'm on a tablet atm and it's awkward copying and pasting. You get the general point - you seem to feel the need to prefix every post with a reminder that you live in Amsterdam  ;D

Not every post. Really not every post.

J
I was also wondering what effect wearing a reflective vest* over it has on any of its properties.

It's not mandatory because PBP. It's mandatory because stupid French laws.

Having anything on over a shakedry jacket, and to a lesser extent amy breathable water proof jacket, will reduce its efficacy, and the abrasion will over time damage the jacket. However a lightweight hivi gillet will be considerably less of an impact than a backpack, if you only wore it for the night riding of PBP, it's unlikely to be a substantial shortening of the life of the jacket. If you did it daily to commute, that's a different matter.

J

--

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #33 on: 16 October, 2018, 08:45:55 am »
I do feel guilty about my "battle dress" sometimes as I get the feeling I might be giving the impression that it is necessary for getting around town. But thankfully there are plenty of people riding in in normal clothes that I think my ice cream-themed kit and weird dutch ebay jerseys are smiled at as a bit of an oddity.

I am trying to organise events at my new uni around encouraging bike use (strictly trying to term it as 'using bikes' not 'cyclist society') - a good event seems to be Critical Mass as it feels very safe and basically no one (aside from me) is kitted up as "a cyclist" - no hi vis, few helmets, nowt (even I take mine off). It is pretty magical, for a few hours a month it's just like being in Holland. Heaps of people are being tempted to give it a crack in a safe pack of hundreds and with luck a few of them, each time, will try their hand at it 'in the wild.'
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #34 on: 16 October, 2018, 09:05:04 am »
I am trying to organise events at my new uni around encouraging bike use (strictly trying to term it as 'using bikes' not 'cyclist society') - a good event seems to be Critical Mass as it feels very safe and basically no one (aside from me) is kitted up as "a cyclist" - no hi vis, few helmets, nowt (even I take mine off). It is pretty magical, for a few hours a month it's just like being in Holland. Heaps of people are being tempted to give it a crack in a safe pack of hundreds and with luck a few of them, each time, will try their hand at it 'in the wild.'
A bit surprised to hear this, as CMs that I've been on – in Britain – have all seemed very combative. Those I've been on in other countries have seemed much more of a "celebration". Normal (ie non-cycling) clothes have seemed to be the standard in UK and one other country, but in the third – which actually had the largest turn-out and the jolliest atmosphere – there was lots of lycra, although in general that was not seen around town there.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 16 October, 2018, 09:05:57 am »
Back on topic, sort of, not quite, Rapha do a repair service which would surely mend that hole in QG's jersey.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 16 October, 2018, 09:18:44 am »
Back on topic, sort of, not quite, Rapha do a repair service which would surely mend that hole in QG's jersey.

I repaired it myself. But it's a weakness and one of many signs of wear.

J
--

« Reply #37 on: 16 October, 2018, 12:50:09 pm »

What I was thinking if wouldn't be compact enough for that.

Wanna be more specific?

I don't think if it as a status symbol. It's more that having seen the cycling culture here, it upsets me that the UK seems simply unable to grasp the basics of enabling a greater uptake of cycling.

Many UK cyclists don't help this, feeling the need to Don full battle dress for a ride to the shops. High visibility clothing should not be necessary to travel down a street. We wouldn't expect car drivers to wear a helmet and Nomex suit to drive to work, so why do we expect the same of cyclists.

When you see measures taken supposedly to improve safety, they invariably are victim blaming and misguided. Look at Australian helmet laws, look at Frances crazy hivi and headphone laws.

I now actively try to keep my riding in France to a minimum because I can't listen to a podcast while I ride there, because some bean counter with no clue thinks is makes cycling safer. It doesn't. The hivi doesn't either. You know what does? Education of all road users! Sensible laws, and a proper cycling culture.

I wonder where there's a good example of this...

Not every post. Really not every post.

J

It's not mandatory because PBP. It's mandatory because stupid French laws.

Having anything on over a shakedry jacket, and to a lesser extent amy breathable water proof jacket, will reduce its efficacy, and the abrasion will over time damage the jacket. However a lightweight hivi gillet will be considerably less of an impact than a backpack, if you only wore it for the night riding of PBP, it's unlikely to be a substantial shortening of the life of the jacket. If you did it daily to commute, that's a different matter.

J

As one who lives and rides in France I find nothing unreasonable about wearing hi-viz clothing outside built-up areas after dark. Most cycle-tourists were already doing it before the law came along. I also find nothing unreasonable about not having distracting noises in your ears. I see enough numpties walking and driving like that and forgetting the existence of the rest of the world while they do it (although a lot less cyclists and they are mainly the ones in the "cité" around me who also haven't heard about using lights and being seen after dark!).
As an aside I used to be a despatch rider with a 2-way radio and helmet-mounted headphones and mic. In probably more than 200k miles it only put me in an accident situation once - but then you only need to die once, that is usually enough for most mortals. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 16 October, 2018, 01:29:17 pm »
A bit surprised to hear this, as CMs that I've been on – in Britain – have all seemed very combative. Those I've been on in other countries have seemed much more of a "celebration". Normal (ie non-cycling) clothes have seemed to be the standard in UK and one other country, but in the third – which actually had the largest turn-out and the jolliest atmosphere – there was lots of lycra, although in general that was not seen around town there.

You've probably not been to the right ones.  Leicester's seems to be a fine example of a celebratory Critical Mass.  They do themes and dressing up.  I also hear the Lichfield one is quite good.

Birmingham's (before it disappeared in a puff of Facebook) was mostly celebratory (albeit a roughly equal mix of the lycra, the MTBers and the hippies).  In the many I attended there were a couple of incidents where the Mass reacted to motorist aggression by blocking them from moving until the police arrived, but deliberately antagonistic behaviour (typically multiple laps of a Big Roundabout through indecision about which way to go next) was the exception.  The main issue was that it would often be so small that it would fail to achieve the desired 'critical mass' safety-in-numbers effect.

As for cycling-specific clothing, I tend to explain it to people like this:  I'm a cycling enthusiast, and I often ride my bike for many hours at a time in all kinds of weather.  When you're doing that, it helps to have the right sort of clothing, that dries quickly and doesn't rub in bad places.  When I'm riding across town for some errand, I might choose to wear my lycra shorts because they're right there in the drawer, saves wear on my normal trousers and last weekend's saddle sores will thank me for it, but that doesn't mean you need any of that stuff just to pootle to the shops.  I might go on to say that tracksuit-type trousers are ideal for riding a bike, and some decent gloves make cycling a lot less miserable in winter.

« Reply #39 on: 16 October, 2018, 05:19:20 pm »
I have to say this one might be on the money.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-hi-vis-warm-cycling-jacket-yellow-id_8369414.html

This is the same (terrific) jacket I already have (in ninja black) but now in ghastly yellow nasty with proviz-style reflective panels.

Comes in at £55, I've got it on my to-check-out list.

I've got one of these in orange, it's pretty good, but gets a bit sweaty at times.
For autumn and winter, it's excellent, anything over 12 degrees c and you'll get hot!

« Reply #40 on: 16 October, 2018, 07:46:41 pm »
FWIW I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) hi-viz or reflective items were obligatory on PBP before the law was passed making it obligatory outside built-up areas at night and in poor visibility. Hi-viz products seem to be creeping into aspects of french life other than cycling as well. A very high proportion (90% perhaps as an off the head figure) of french cyclists are never going to be affected by the hi-viz law because they don't ride outside built-up areas after dark (including a lot of racing cyclists who do their training on well lit industrial estates). OTOH hi-viz is being adopted by joggers in town after dark, at least round where I live.

Hi-viz and reflective items (typically Sam Browne belts) were common place in UK before I moved to France, getting on for 30 years ago. I can't believe that anyone is still making an issue of it! Could almost go back to the questionable Centurion sponsored statistics that were used to force crash helmets on motorcyclists  :sick:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 16 October, 2018, 07:50:18 pm »
mzjo:

Would you say that you enjoy thinking for yourself, or do you just follow the herd?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Samuel D

« Reply #42 on: 16 October, 2018, 09:30:55 pm »
I hope to attend this whacky night ride (PDF) next month, but unfortunately a reflective vest is required – presumably due to the French law discussed above. Not being a scaredy-cat, I don’t own such a thing. None of my regular cycling kit is highlighter-coloured either.

The headphone law is very different, not least because having to not use something that you may possess doesn’t discourage participation in the way that having to buy something surprisingly expensive, wear it whatever the discomfort (viz overheating), and look like a construction worker does.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: 17 October, 2018, 08:59:25 am »
It could be made compulsory for walking as well, then presumably everyone would own one.

« Reply #44 on: 17 October, 2018, 03:36:08 pm »
I hope to attend this whacky night ride (PDF) next month, but unfortunately a reflective vest is required – presumably due to the French law discussed above. Not being a scaredy-cat, I don’t own such a thing. None of my regular cycling kit is highlighter-coloured either.

The headphone law is very different, not least because having to not use something that you may possess doesn’t discourage participation in the way that having to buy something surprisingly expensive, wear it whatever the discomfort (viz overheating), and look like a construction worker does.

The last ones I bought (to go in a company vehicle) cost 2€ in the local grande surface, the price might have gone down since; I doubt it will have gone up much. If you really want to pay more and declare your allegiance to an ideologically bereft organisation you can pay double in the FFCT on-line shop. I have one that was won in an MZ club lottery years ago and has a little pouch so it lives in the barbag permanently and gets worn perhaps three or four times a year when I finish a ride after dark. It doesn't get me overheated at all, unlike my waterproof. I also have an orange one for confounding those who think they can only be green fluo.

If the ride is so uninteresting that your night will be ruined by riding with a load of people wearing reflective waistcoats (because at night that's the bit that does the work) then stay at home! If you want to look like something out of a building site you need the fluo trousers as well (and the steel toed wellies)!

mzjo:

Would you say that you enjoy thinking for yourself, or do you just follow the herd?

Je ne comprends pas!! PM me with what's bugging you. FWIW as far as legislation is concerned we read the party programmes, cast our votes and pass the thinking buck to others - or at least you do; I don't have that priviledge, haven't had for 30 years. I am just like the others, there are things that get me riled and there are others that do not pose me any problems - like hi-viz on bikes, for the simple reason that most of the time you don't need it to be legal. On the other hand being fined because your hi-viz was in the boot of your car rather than next to your seat would get me cross, especially if it cost me points on my licence - but that's the decision of the masses, it's called democracy (disputable perhaps but that's what it's called)!

As regards thinking I spend far too much time doing that rather than getting on and doing more useful stuff!

Samuel D

« Reply #45 on: 17 October, 2018, 03:50:02 pm »
If you really want to pay more and declare your allegiance to an ideologically bereft organisation you can pay double in the FFCT on-line shop.

Tell me more! Is there something specific you have against the FFCT?

If the ride is so uninteresting that your night will be ruined by riding with a load of people wearing reflective waistcoats (because at night that's the bit that does the work) then stay at home!

Oh, I’ll be going if they accept my application. I love the sound of the route and the 20 km/h speed limit. I’ll buy a reflective vest too. Just permitting myself a little grumble at having to do so.

« Reply #46 on: 17 October, 2018, 05:13:44 pm »
If you really want to pay more and declare your allegiance to an ideologically bereft organisation you can pay double in the FFCT on-line shop.

Tell me more! Is there something specific you have against the FFCT?

If the ride is so uninteresting that your night will be ruined by riding with a load of people wearing reflective waistcoats (because at night that's the bit that does the work) then stay at home!

Oh, I’ll be going if they accept my application. I love the sound of the route and the 20 km/h speed limit. I’ll buy a reflective vest too. Just permitting myself a little grumble at having to do so.

If you were an automobilist like most of the cyclos of this region you would just take one out of your car - but don't forget to put it back afterwards. I gather that in your situation this is not possible (other options include raiding the car of the girlfriend, the boss, the company van etc), you will probably end up putting a couple of euros on the cost of your ride. In 10 years time the same gilet will still be good, they get used so little. Just avoid washing them, it fades the colour (the hi-viz colour is actually a european norm, once faded the gilet is no longer conforme; which will not matter - until it does matter AIW). Rides like this don't appear to exist in Nouvelle Aquitaine, have a good time.

What's wrong with the FFCT? In principal,nothing. What's wrong with the current direction? In practice quite a lot. The next club roll and membership figures could make interesting reading; I am not sure there will be much left down here outside Bordeaux, the direction seemed so determined to shoot themselves in the collective foot. Please don't start me off!!

« Reply #47 on: 17 October, 2018, 05:21:40 pm »
Does this count?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/castelli-squadra-er-jacket-aw17/rp-prod160648?gs=1&sku=sku591618&pgrid=60711843298&ptaid=pla-426714785951&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sfWueJBpa_dc|pcrid|294922111664|pkw||pmt||prd|591618UK

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #48 on: 17 October, 2018, 07:47:07 pm »
I also have an orange one for confounding those who think they can only be green fluo.
Or for looking like a railway worker rather than a construction worker? Interesting that you call the other colour green fluo; to me it looks yellow, not green. Aren't colours, and our perception of them, weird?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 17 October, 2018, 08:04:42 pm »
I also have an orange one for confounding those who think they can only be green fluo.
Or for looking like a railway worker rather than a construction worker? Interesting that you call the other colour green fluo; to me it looks yellow, not green. Aren't colours, and our perception of them, weird?

To me (protanomalous trichromat) standard yellow fluro looks like the light green that's called yellow.  The much rarer green fluro (which also looks like the light green that's called yellow) is subtly different, to the point where I'd almost certainly miss that it wasn't yellow if I didn't have a reference to compare it too.  The rule of thumb (unless I'm horribly mistaken) is that it's hi-vis therefore it's yellow.  See also: Bananananas, which I only recently learned can sometimes come in green.

Orange fluro, on the other hand, looks orange, which is a much closer colour to the dark green that's called green.  It's much less eye-catching.  But that's okay, because train drivers have certified colour vision and can see it just fine.

Regardless, green seems like a bad colour to wear if you're trying to be spotted by non-colourblind people amongst foliage.  Colourblind people will spot you anyway, because they're experts at seeing shapes through camouflage.