Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163443 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13175 on: 19 August, 2018, 06:02:40 pm »
Defrosted the freezer, about a year overdue. Very satisfying to hack away big icebergs. And cleaned and oiled the road bike which was also slightly overdue.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #13176 on: 19 August, 2018, 06:29:29 pm »
Two broken B17s into one working saddle.

I came off three years ago and bent my B17 special with its lovely copper rivets. Probably too expensive to replace, but I never had the heart to chuck it.

Then a couple of weeks ago the tensioning bolt broke on my other B17.

Some careful work with spanners and screwdrivers later, the B17 now has a functioning tension bolt. Time to ride.

« Reply #13177 on: 20 August, 2018, 08:22:45 am »
Quite a bit of stuff in the garden yesterday.  Cleared back the grass (on one side) and various plants (on the other) from encroaching on the path down by the raised beds.  Took a clematis down off the section of our neighbour's fence that's finally (after nearly a year) going to be repaired this weekend. Took down another clematis off the front of the house, and pruned a metre of growth off the Bay bush there.  Trimmed the other neighbour's Berberis as it was encroaching and overshadowing our garden (which is only 3.5m wide). Bloody prickly! Then spent 3 hours pruning back old growth and tying in new on the Rambling Rector rose on the pergola. Literally bloody prickly!!  And two trips to the tip to dispose of the waste we can't compost. A good days work.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13178 on: 20 August, 2018, 07:24:18 pm »
Fitted a new long-drop brake to the Holdsworth.  I really think the flex has gone.  It was unrideable out of the saddle with the original fork, which is either cracked or just too light for its own good.

Looks minging with a slightly rusty burgundy fork on a pristine turquoise bike, but the fork can be painted.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13179 on: 20 August, 2018, 08:11:48 pm »
A spoke in the front wheel of the Rory O'Brian went bang, while out today. The wheel went suprisingly wobbly.  :-\

I can't remember ever building a 700c front wheel, apart from dymano hub ones, yet I found I had spokes the right length.  :D

Took two goes at putting the tyre on (first time started the wrong bead, second time I didn't line the label up with the valve)  ::-)

Pumped it up, and I found the tube had a puncture.  >:(

As it was just a spoke replacement and truing, I needn't have taken the tyre off anyway... :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #13180 on: 23 August, 2018, 12:07:02 am »
Two panniers, a rack pack and a bar bag with most of the stuff for four days away on the bike. :excited:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13181 on: 23 August, 2018, 12:08:52 am »
Fitted a new jockey wheel and screw to replace the ones that pinged off on my way home from work on Monday. It's an 11t 105 wheel I had in the spares box, instead of a 13t alivio one, but it seems to work ok.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13182 on: 23 August, 2018, 08:07:17 am »
Just a bit of chiselling before breakfast.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13183 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:32:02 am »
Plugged up the gaps in our garden fencing - mostly post and rail plus hedges and Netlon.

Our new dog (Lab/collie cross) has achieved a feat that defeated all previous dogs who have been resident, either temporarily or permanent.

Seeing as next door has a large garden, partially fenced, and has free range chickens, ducks and rabbits, I am particularly keen to keep them and our new pup (I use the term age-istically, it thinks it's a full-grown lab and has already helped itself to a passing pigeon) apart.  We get on very well with our neighbours and I'd like to keep it that way. Particularly as the lady of the house (he's a criminal barrister, ahem, M'Lud) returned said black pup last night. It'd only been out in the garden, unsupervised, for a couple of minutes.

Action required, pronto, methinks.

« Reply #13184 on: 25 August, 2018, 11:14:46 am »
Two camcleats for the spinnaker sheets on the dinghy.

A nightmare. The most awkward job I think I've ever had to do.

Hands half the size would have helped, as would X-ray vision, or indeed a third hand.

They're mounted in an enclosed space which makes one of the nuts virtually impossible to get onto the end of the bolt's thread.

Sorted by using doubled back insulating tape on the end of one finger and sticking the nut to that. Then lining it up with the hole. After that I had to get a spanner on it. Good grief. Four M5 bolt tightenings and it took about an hour.
Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

« Reply #13185 on: 25 August, 2018, 12:49:15 pm »
Fixed a puncture (old tube gave up round the valve).  Changed the ring on the TA track crankset from a 52T to a 47T, because I can't get a new EAI 20T for less than £60 including shipping but I do have an 18T.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13186 on: 25 August, 2018, 07:31:26 pm »
Resumed fettling after ride.  Swapped forks on the Holdsworth again (put the noodly original back just to keep things together) then removed the crown race from the Ugly Fork That Works, cut the steerer down to the right length and filed the end flat and smooth.  It's off for a respray.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13187 on: 25 August, 2018, 09:47:24 pm »
Got a couple of steps closer to getting HK's Kinesis working. Installed handlebars, STI levers, hydraulic lines and gear cables. Internal routing and unfamiliar equipment meant slow progress until I found the dealers' manual online but my lack of a brake bleed kit and the overlong bolts for the rear caliper (6 options, only 1 supplied!) have stopped play for a few days. The guesstimated stem and bars look close enough for now, though a slightly shorter stem might be on the cards down the line.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13188 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:23:56 pm »
With the help of The Girl and her husbad*, I molished the best part of a click together laminate floor for the lounge in my country abode. The rest of the lounge and (hopefully) the kitchen will be tomorrow's task.

*how we used to refer to male spice on umra, a newsgroup m'lud, for the sort of people who might listen to the Archers.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13189 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:37:00 pm »
I'm going to have to learn not to fiddle with things that aren't broken.

I decided to realign the mudguard on my hack bike. I went to release the stay, but the nut had managed to rust itself onto the pinch bolt, and that bolt sheared off instead of the bolt releasing. Then I went to fit an old SKS pinch bolt to replace it, but found out the stays on these mudguards* are too wide to fit. Ok, so next step is to replace the stay with a spare SKS one, but I found the bolt securing it was an old 3mm hex head one made of cheese, which rounded straight off.  :facepalm:

I've ended up doubling up the stays and pannier rack on the other hole, while the hex bolt bathes in penetrating oil  :-[

*Manufacturer fitted in 2010
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #13190 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:45:00 pm »
I'm going to have to learn not to fiddle with things that aren't broken.

I decided to realign the mudguard on my hack bike. I went to release the stay, but the nut had managed to rust itself onto the pinch bolt, and that bolt sheared off instead of the bolt releasing. Then I went to fit an old SKS pinch bolt to replace it, but found out the stays on these mudguards* are too wide to fit. Ok, so next step is to replace the stay with a spare SKS one, but I found the bolt securing it was an old 3mm hex head one made of cheese, which rounded straight off.  :facepalm:

I've ended up doubling up the stays and pannier rack on the other hole, while the hex bolt bathes in penetrating oil  :-[

*Manufacturer fitted in 2010

https://i.redd.it/pkjxpbwqt9801.jpg applies. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13191 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:46:19 pm »
TBF standard material for bolts on lots of things seems to be a variety of margarine. Rixen & Kaul are particularly fond of passing off the oleaginous spread as genuine metal.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13192 on: 27 August, 2018, 06:48:51 am »
And there I was thinking about refitting the mudguards back onto the rebuilt Giant.  They came off easy enough, but I think one of the pinc bolts is now lurkin somewhere on my workshop floor having pingfuckit'ed away.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

« Reply #13193 on: 27 August, 2018, 07:01:34 am »
I went to fix the tube that nearly killed me on Saturday, only to find it wasn't the rim tape at all, it was a classic snakebite.  You can see why the front tyre went down so fast.  Tyre was pumped to 110psi just before the ride, too.

20180827_065711 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13194 on: 27 August, 2018, 07:46:20 am »
That's a funny one. If you had it up to 110 beforehand and didn't hit a really emphatic bump then you probably picked up a slow earlier on.

The way you're holding it, the thing even looks like a snake.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13195 on: 27 August, 2018, 07:48:26 am »
I had a snakebite at 165psi (rear) once.  It was a very sharp-edged pothole.  High pressure helps avoid them but it's not a guarantee.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13196 on: 27 August, 2018, 01:17:39 pm »
Yebbut if you hit a bump you know it & know what to expect.  Or are there a lot of potholes where you were riding?

rogerzilla

« Reply #13197 on: 27 August, 2018, 01:30:24 pm »
Yebbut if you hit a bump you know it & know what to expect.  Or are there a lot of potholes where you were riding?
Oxfordshire roads (soecifically VWH Council's) are terrible.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13198 on: 27 August, 2018, 01:51:32 pm »
Gotcha.  Ours get rough but real potholes are few unless you take forest roads.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13199 on: 27 August, 2018, 06:59:48 pm »
I went to fix the tube that nearly killed me on Saturday, only to find it wasn't the rim tape at all, it was a classic snakebite.  You can see why the front tyre went down so fast.  Tyre was pumped to 110psi just before the ride, too.

20180827_065711 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

*twitches*