Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1241923 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: 16 April, 2008, 08:26:33 am »
* Knocks on door and pokes head round ...*

I've decided to re-join you all if that's OK?    I am a lapsed member.

I was losing weight steadily but surely and dropped from an all-time high of 109kgs to 98kgs.   I must have got complacent.   I'm now slowly creepiong back up and have reached 101kgs today.   I know why and Marmitegeoff is spot on.   :(  :-[

« Reply #26 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:17:54 pm »
Except that this morning I applied the measuring tape, & discovered that I am pretty much bang on what I measured in the middle of last summer when I was 10'10.  Maybe I have actually put on muscle rather than fat.  I woke Pete up (damn these working from home types who get a lie in) to tell him this ....

Oh, how I know that feeling  :-\ .  You're deeply in slumber, enjoying your dream when, 'HEY, YOU ... DOES MY BUM LOOK BIG IN THIS?'  It takes a certain skill, tact and presence of mind to realise what's happening and come up with the right response ...  :evil:  ;D ;D   Just kiddin'  ;)

spen666

« Reply #27 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:23:25 am »
Is more/bigger not better?

Damn, I've not got the hang of this have I?

Maladict

« Reply #28 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:39:40 am »
I am down to 72.7kg which is about 1kg lighter than before The Dean/Elenith rides.

« Reply #29 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:28:36 pm »
88 kg today, checked on 3 different scales at work and gym.  :)
Was wondering if I was ever going to get down below 90kg. Not only that, but I actually feel a bit lighter. Remarkably this comes after a week in Malta during which I had a "full English" for breakfast virtually every day, something I normally rarely do.  ???

Maladict

« Reply #30 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:59:08 pm »
I weighed myself tonight.  74.3kg.  Ho hum.

« Reply #31 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:00:08 pm »
Bloody whippet.

« Reply #32 on: 23 April, 2008, 07:05:12 am »
AHA!  The motivation has started working.  Thanks chaps.

Reversed the recent trend and dropped a whole 1kg in my first week.  I'm very pleased.

This last week I have been very conscious of the chocolate, cake, chips and crisps1 that have come my way.   Much less2 than in recent weeks.   

1Hmm, it seems that my weight gain sins all begin with c ...

2And yes, that was 'much less' as oppose to 'none'.   ;D

« Reply #33 on: 23 April, 2008, 07:18:58 pm »
I only managed a small step in the right direction .5kg DOWN  :)

Must do more of the less in more out routine.

less in more out
less in more out
less in more out etc. :thumbsup:
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #34 on: 24 April, 2008, 08:50:07 am »
Managed to keep my weight steady, despite not being on the bike for close to 3 weeks. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #35 on: 24 April, 2008, 09:11:20 am »
I am not recording my weight in the other thread but I'd like to say I lost 3kg last week by eating less between meals and riding more miles. Weight now 82kg. I didn't start weighing myself until last week, I was heavier while I was immobile, I will not weigh myself every week so long as I feel I am doing OK, I do not want to get obsessed with the numbers. My health check said I wasn't overweight anyway.  My strength is good atm too so once I get down to my 'fighting' weight I'll be flying.

annie

« Reply #36 on: 24 April, 2008, 10:09:32 am »
I am not recording my weight in the other thread but I'd like to say I lost 3kg last week by eating less between meals and riding more miles. Weight now 82kg. I didn't start weighing myself until last week, I was heavier while I was immobile, I will not weigh myself every week so long as I feel I am doing OK, I do not want to get obsessed with the numbers. My health check said I wasn't overweight anyway.  My strength is good atm too so once I get down to my 'fighting' weight I'll be flying.

You are going to hate me for saying this but that is too much weight to lose in one week, around 1-2lbs would be ideal.

I would aim for that sort of weight loss over a month.  It is better for you in the long term.

Hugs

« Reply #37 on: 24 April, 2008, 10:11:33 am »
I didn't aim for it, it just happened.

« Reply #38 on: 24 April, 2008, 10:22:29 am »
And could easily be explained by usual fluctuations in weight caused by hydration levels. Up 1.5kg last weigh in, down 1.5kg this weigh in and there's a 3kg difference with no real weight loss.

This is why focusing on the comparison with the previous weigh-in is bad for you. I weigh myself every day, but record it once a week (first thing Wednesday morning after going for a pee) where I'm usually in the same state of hydration, but over the week I'll see anything up to 2kg difference (both up and down). I write down whatever the scales say on a Wednesday morning, even if I've seen other figures during the week. And instead of comparing myself to just last week I look at the general trend over the last 4 weeks. Is my weight heading in the right direction (or staying steady as I want it to be doing at the moment)?

I "lost" 4.5kg in one day once, but all of it water. In the morning I weighed myself after drinking 2 litres (i.e. 2kg) of water/squash. I then did a DIY 200km Audax in 20oC weather and probably only drinking 4 litres of water. I weighed myself when I got back and there's no surprise I was much lighter. I needed to drink another 3 litres of water that evening before I was properly hydrated again.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

gordon taylor

« Reply #39 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:54:50 am »
I actually saw 18 st 0 lbs on the scales just after Christmas, and 16 st 13 lbs just once in April. I'm now back up at 17st 6 lbs.

I've cycled 2,200 miles since 1st January.

In the last ten years, my weight has ranged from 19 st 3 lbs to 14 st 10 lbs.

It is really depressing to be so heavy. I've been fighting my weight for thirty years.

I'm not stupid, I know what to eat and what to avoid. But I don't have the willpower to keep a sensible diet going for more than two weeks, let alone two years. I eat too much, and I can't seem to stop.

Bollocks.

« Reply #40 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:09:31 am »
I knew it would happen but I am still unimpressed.
5 kilogrammes I have put on - all around my waist.  I feel fat.  I had been so good before going to Australia.
Looks like more LSD training for me.
I need to shift this weight before the summer lycra season arrives.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #41 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:06:02 pm »
Same old story of Good Intentions!
Managed a high of 20 stones and 6 pounds a week or so back so it has got to be started serious like now!
129kg :'(
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #42 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:09:51 pm »
I find it has been enough for me to simply develop a rough awareness of the energy content of foods. I've never had to think about it before; I always tried to avoid easting crap but the calories never entered my head.

Maladict

« Reply #43 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:13:26 pm »
My weight's crept up since The Elenith to around 74kg but back down to under 73kg this morning.  I am dehydrated though so it'll be a day or two before the real effect of the Severn Across is known.

« Reply #44 on: 07 May, 2008, 08:24:13 am »
It's slow progress but steady as she goes seems to be working for me.   I chose perhaps the worst time for me to join the thread - just as I had settled in to to six weeks very intensive desk jockeying.   Two weeks to go and remarkably I'm 2 kgs down.  Usually this type of work puts me more than 2 kgs up!   The hard work has been enforced restraint.

The good news:  Well, in two weeks time I have a bit of time off and can get on with fettling, cycling and chewing the fat in earnest in here.   ;D ;D

I have not put a target in the reports thread other than I want to be able to see my toes.  Well, I can't anyway standing up.  Bloody crap eyes you see.   I can see the outline of my feet though so it definitely is working.   ;D

My efforts since last October are rewarded with the fact that I can use some pre 2007 cycling kit so no new kit needed.   I needed some larger kit last year.   :(   Shaved a few more pounds then  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #45 on: 07 May, 2008, 08:36:54 am »
I actually saw 18 st 0 lbs on the scales just after Christmas, and 16 st 13 lbs just once in April. I'm now back up at 17st 6 lbs.

It is really depressing to be so heavy. I've been fighting my weight for thirty years.

I'm not stupid, I know what to eat and what to avoid. But I don't have the willpower to keep a sensible diet going for more than two weeks, let alone two years. I eat too much, and I can't seem to stop.

Bollocks.
That is an almost exact description of my condition, although it's rather longer since I weighed less than 15 stone. That would have been in the late 1980s when I was introduced to badminton and played quite a bit.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

LEE

« Reply #46 on: 07 May, 2008, 09:40:23 am »

Bollocks.
That is an almost exact description of my condition, although it's rather longer since I weighed less than 15 stone. That would have been in the late 1980s when I was introduced to badminton and played quite a bit.

Food is my addiction and it sounds like yours also.

Skinny people don't believe food is an addictive drug but they don't understand and can get quite pompous (try going without it for a few weeks).

Of course the problem food-addicts have is that:
1) They are surrounded by it
2) It's socially acceptable
3) You must have at least some every day (unlike booze, nicotine and heroin)
4) It tastes f***ing gorgeous (why can't they make food taste horrible? I'd be thin)
5) Eating is not all about hunger and survival

I hate being overweight.  I love being lighter and fitter.  I feel bad immediately after overeating.  I feel great after eating healthily.  I'm intelligent enough to understand what causes weight gain and yet I can (and do) overeat.

Go figure.

I'm losing weight now but I know I will always be at risk of piling it all back on again for the rest of my life. 

I never knowingly walked past a bacon sandwich.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #47 on: 07 May, 2008, 05:38:33 pm »
Yes, I love food. There's little I don't like, but salads are fairly high on the list of stuff that I cannot be bothered with.

I enjoy a good breakfast cereal, but always include the full cooked option when staying away. When we were doing LEJOG last year, I think it was our second B & B which offered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. I was so enthusiastic that the landlady produced a portion for Mrs. Wow as well - but she doesn't like smoked salmon. Guess where hers went? I spent the first 20 miles or so feeling slightly queasy after that.

Roast dinners? Magnificent. Curry? Suberb. Italian? Marvellous! Chinese? Terrific. Then give me suet pudding and syrup. Or just as a snack, good home-made bread with even better home-made Seville orange marmalade.

Oh I don't mind apple pie & custard either.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

LEE

« Reply #48 on: 08 May, 2008, 11:21:39 am »
Yes, I love food. There's little I don't like, but salads are fairly high on the list of stuff that I cannot be bothered with.

I enjoy a good breakfast cereal, but always include the full cooked option when staying away. When we were doing LEJOG last year, I think it was our second B & B which offered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. I was so enthusiastic that the landlady produced a portion for Mrs. Wow as well - but she doesn't like smoked salmon. Guess where hers went? I spent the first 20 miles or so feeling slightly queasy after that.

Roast dinners? Magnificent. Curry? Suberb. Italian? Marvellous! Chinese? Terrific. Then give me suet pudding and syrup. Or just as a snack, good home-made bread with even better home-made Seville orange marmalade.

Oh I don't mind apple pie & custard either.

You make Pete Doherty seem quite restrained.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #49 on: 12 May, 2008, 07:31:47 pm »
Eeek FatBloke weighs less than me and he's about 3x my height :S
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium