Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2481441 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4825 on: 09 October, 2011, 04:39:22 pm »
I asked for the rear clip to be deleted on my Brompton

I've got one of the optional turny roundy ones on my new one.  I always keep it disengaged.  Park mode is one of the best features of the Brommie.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4826 on: 09 October, 2011, 06:31:32 pm »

Far from new.  Far from shiny.  But a good friend.

Getting there...

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #4827 on: 09 October, 2011, 07:58:20 pm »

Bike No 4, needs to get dirty.
And get rid of them wheel reflectors.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #4828 on: 09 October, 2011, 08:04:58 pm »
Need to get out of the granny ring too  ;)

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #4829 on: 09 October, 2011, 08:09:00 pm »
Need to get out of the granny ring too  ;)

Ahh yes, well spotted.

LindaG

« Reply #4830 on: 10 October, 2011, 01:24:18 pm »

Very, very nice. Those frames look lovely, and very light for the money.

Lovely.

Did you molish the mudguard flaps yourself?  Tidy job.

« Reply #4831 on: 10 October, 2011, 03:44:20 pm »
N+1 is finally finished, 1988 Peugeot Galibier.

Before:

After:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4832 on: 10 October, 2011, 03:46:16 pm »
VERY nice Doosh, are yousure it is the same bike? :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4833 on: 10 October, 2011, 03:48:53 pm »
Lovely job Doosh, who painted the frame for you?

« Reply #4834 on: 10 October, 2011, 04:34:55 pm »
Local powder coaters did the frame and forks, same one that did the white jalopy MTB. It's not a bad finish for £30, although I asked for silver but there's not much metallic sparkle to it so in pictures it looks grey. I wouldn't have a nice/expensive frame coated I'd give them a proper enamelled job, but seeing as I don't have any nice/expensive bikes it's kind of irrelevant  :P

I'm pretty happy with it as it hasn't cost me that much, I just wanted something lighter and better suited to shorter/faster riding than the jalopy. Just need to ride the damn thing now!

I seem to actually enjoy the stripping, fettling, rebuilding more than the bloody riding  :-[

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4835 on: 10 October, 2011, 05:28:53 pm »
Nice to see some period components on it (apart from the pedals!) I'll let you off on the Cuissi Inox, because that looks ike it could have existed in 1988.  ;)

« Reply #4836 on: 10 October, 2011, 05:34:34 pm »
Thanks Rhys. Yeah I suppose I could have sourced some period pedals but I built it more for riding than an accurate recreation of a retro bike, it's not really of high enough quality (Only Reynolds 501) to go to town with. Hence the new brakes also.

BTW that helicopter tape is awesome stuff, thanks for the heads up  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4837 on: 10 October, 2011, 06:41:47 pm »

Very, very nice. Those frames look lovely, and very light for the money.

Lovely.

Did you molish the mudguard flaps yourself?  Tidy job.

They came courtesy of a friend who makes carbon parts for very, very fast cars and often has off-cuts lying around. Two holes and a zip-tie later and they're saved from carbon fibre heaven for a few years at least.

ajc

• See, I told you it was green for me
« Reply #4838 on: 12 October, 2011, 11:19:46 pm »
Thought I would show my bikes, this is my "nice" bike, which is getting old but is still a fantastic ride

This is my commute bike, the picture was taken just before I did LEJOG, it has been my commute bike for a few years now

I've just started using the fixie for commuting, it's an old Peugeot 501 frame and the rest is mostly bits I had in the garage

You can call me Al.

tiermat

« Reply #4839 on: 13 October, 2011, 01:58:34 pm »
At last, the InBred as I am happy with (for now)

The 'guards and the rear light mounting:

Front light mount, not that clear because of the light switch:

And the all important head tube badge :)

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4840 on: 13 October, 2011, 11:31:46 pm »
Nice bike! Do you find those rear lights any good? I had one - it looks like the same model - but had to get rid of it when it failed totally due to water ingress.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4841 on: 13 October, 2011, 11:43:25 pm »

Excellent camo!  :thumbsup:

If you'd left the tyres off it would've been pretty much invisible against that background . . .

IGMC
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

« Reply #4842 on: 14 October, 2011, 02:29:40 pm »
Nice bike! Do you find those rear lights any good? I had one - it looks like the same model - but had to get rid of it when it failed totally due to water ingress.

Not had any problems with them - There is one on Mrs T's Raleigh, and of those two on the InBred, one has been used widely on commuter bikes over the last couple of years, and the other was bought new last year to fit to an N+1 accident :)

Incidentally they are Cateye lights, just mounted sideways.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4843 on: 14 October, 2011, 02:31:43 pm »
Mine was also a Cateye. I reckon what did for it was not riding in the rain but being rained on overnight consistently.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

deliquium

« Reply #4844 on: 24 October, 2011, 01:53:53 pm »

The rural winter shopper just out on it's first running in period on Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tryes - what a bleedin' racket - you'll always ride alone with spikes!!

Mid 90's Marin Bear Valley frame bought for £40 - then chucked on what was needed.

Still to make a bracket for a B&M Toplight rear lamp to fit the Blackburn rack and add another Smart to the seat post.

The strange looking salmon couloured bar grips are colour co-ordinated with the front Kool Stop salmon pads  8)

7 speed real cheap  Shimano cassete from Rose in Germany - run by NOS XT Thumbshifters! - Which annoy the hell out of a chum as I wouldn't accept his offer of £50 for them - he's a retro kinda chap who just needs some XT thumbies to complete his dream machine  ::-)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #4845 on: 27 October, 2011, 06:11:04 pm »
I re-wired the Orange Bling yesterday.

This shows most of the wiring:

The problem with using a flash is that the retro-reflective bits shine up unfeasibly brightly, causing the general Orangeness to be somewhat swamped.

The dangling zip-tie is a releasable one, used to hold the battery pack in place on the stem; to its left is the quick-release battery connector.
The battery pack on the stem is shown here:

This view shows the now de-cluttered back end (where the 12V Lead-Acid battery used to be), and gives a hint of the Orangeosity of frame, cables, wires and zip-ties.

Only a single front and rear light (the independent emergency ones don't count), slightly less *FREAKIN' LAZER*ness, but much lighter, much simpler, and hugely-extended burn time - nominally 15 hours.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4846 on: 27 October, 2011, 06:56:57 pm »
Nice.  What's the pingfuckit rating of those battery holders?  I expect we'll find out on Saturday, hopefully not in the *clunk* *sproing* *splosh* "Bugger!" sense.  Needs some sort of enclosure, I reckon.  Do they make condoms in luminous ORANGE?   ;D

I reckon you'd be able to use a 5-cell NiMH pack and stay in-spec for the B&M stuff (if the Cyo manual's anything to go by; it states 7.5V absolute max for DC).  I suppose that would mean a 6-cell holder with a dummy cell, and presumably significantly more charging faff, though.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #4847 on: 27 October, 2011, 07:19:28 pm »
What's the pingfuckit rating of those battery holders?
I was wondering about the 4xAA holders that have the four cells in a square (when seen from above).  That would allow the releasable zip-tie to restrain all the cells.  Those holders are cheap-as-CMOS4000series, so I may treat myself to a few.  The recharging is likely to be a faff however I look at it, as I'm using a forum-recommended Techno-Line BL700 charger, which needs the cells to be loaded separately.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4848 on: 27 October, 2011, 07:23:51 pm »
cheap-as-CMOS4000series

Badoom, and indeed, tish.   :D

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4849 on: 28 October, 2011, 08:22:47 pm »

'JESS' out on 65k jollie to Offham today, after finished fettling with seat height, bar height, front light mounting, computer /bell repositioning etc.