Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2476657 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6425 on: 23 June, 2013, 04:19:48 pm »
Lovely bike that :thumbsup:

Thanks - it's a dream ride too. The Panaracer Paselas are real comfy. Thinking it needs a brown or honey Brooks, brown Hermann cork grips and gold braided gear/brake outers  :-\

« Reply #6426 on: 23 June, 2013, 04:31:11 pm »
Van Nic Ventus 2013 Ultegra with handbuilt wheels from DCR in Sussex.

Does that work ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6427 on: 23 June, 2013, 04:34:39 pm »

Does that work ?

No. Strange that - I've been getting this with some forum images lately (image appears as blue square; use "reply with quote" to see link; successfully go to link. Then, the image may or may not work as it should in the original post. Worked last night, invisible again today).

Nice bike though!

Edit: Aha! Image only works if logged in to that Other Place.

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #6428 on: 23 June, 2013, 08:28:41 pm »

« Reply #6429 on: 23 June, 2013, 08:39:44 pm »
Just finished building it up and tweaking - more to do. Cool orange outer cables - I fancy some subdude outrage at 59 years old :smug:

http://flic.kr/p/eSLRwM

My Raliegh Peak, had the remain of orange decals, so the cable outers are in keeping with the model. (I think mine's been on this thread some time ago{edit - HERE infact  :smug:})
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

LEE

« Reply #6430 on: 24 June, 2013, 11:33:34 am »
I'm a sucker for Olde Squoole MTBs converted to road use.  I have a 1996 Saracen "Force Trax"that looks very similar (in Tange CroMo).

That, by modern standards, long wheel-base actually makes them great touring bikes, keeping rear-panniers' weight inside the wheel-base and hence nice and stable..

My Saracen in road guise isn't too dissimilar from a Roberts or Thorn 26" "global touring bike".

There's also something childishly rewarding about latching onto the back of a club-run using an old MTB, with mudguards and rack.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6431 on: 24 June, 2013, 07:24:20 pm »
I'm a sucker for Olde Squoole MTBs converted to road use.  I have a 1996 Saracen "Force Trax"that looks very similar (in Tange CroMo).

That, by modern standards, long wheel-base actually makes them great touring bikes, keeping rear-panniers' weight inside the wheel-base and hence nice and stable..

My Saracen in road guise isn't too dissimilar from a Roberts or Thorn 26" "global touring bike".

I have a Cannondale Beast of the  East M800 which is superb for loaded cycle camping.The knobblies have been replaced with semi-slicks.Mudgaurds & front & rear racks complete the tranformation.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6432 on: 25 June, 2013, 01:13:05 pm »
Finally finished (well, mostly) the Kaffenback:

and a view of the cockpit:

It's got 1x9 gearing using a single Dura Ace bar-end shifter on an SJS handlebar mount (I have the other "hand" if I ever want to convert to double/triple). Wheels are Sun rims on Deore hubs I bought off Polar Bear otp a while ago shod with Continental tyres. It originally had Campag Veloce compact cranks on but the chainline wasn't right* so I bought some Stronglight cranks from gene hunt otp and these carry a single 36T TA ring with a Stronglight chainguard and Deda Dog Fang to keep it all in check. Bars are On One Fleegle. Just need to get some SPD combo pedals to complete.

* even with a "triple" BB. JIS BB's are available with longer axles to move things out a couple of mm.
Pen Pusher

LEE

« Reply #6433 on: 25 June, 2013, 01:50:51 pm »
Looks great, very "tidy".

I am considering a 1x9 gear setup when I give my Saracen MTB a makeover.  Since I ride Single-Speed most of the time 1x9 should give me a luxurious selection of gears to choose from in a reliable setup.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6434 on: 25 June, 2013, 06:04:43 pm »
^^^ Looks great  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6435 on: 25 June, 2013, 07:16:38 pm »
Here is my new partner, an Enigma Etape with a few goodies , Thompson carbon bars, Thompson stem and some hand built wheels. This is a belated 50th birthday present to myself, a bike I have dreamed of.

Nigel

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6436 on: 25 June, 2013, 07:29:32 pm »
Nice bike Trickletreat :thumbsup:

What type of seat pak are you using?

« Reply #6437 on: 25 June, 2013, 07:35:59 pm »
Nice bike Trickletreat :thumbsup:

What type of seat pak are you using?

Thank you. The seat pack is a Topeak Mondo XL
http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/mondopackxl_qc

Nigel

« Reply #6438 on: 25 June, 2013, 09:30:14 pm »
Just finished building it up and tweaking - more to do. Cool orange outer cables - I fancy some subdude outrage at 59 years old :smug:

http://flic.kr/p/eSLRwM

That's one of the nicest bikes I have seen for ages.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6439 on: 26 June, 2013, 10:15:12 pm »
Finally finished (well, mostly) the Kaffenback:

Very nice and good to see the cranks new home.

« Reply #6440 on: 29 June, 2013, 01:27:16 pm »

S'ver' tidy looking bike.

« Reply #6441 on: 29 June, 2013, 09:51:34 pm »

1964 Series 1 Moulton (for any Moulton pedants out there - previous owner added the 'speed' sticker and 'docked' the tail)
Moulton AM mudguards, 5 speed Sturmey sprinter in a 28 hole steel shell, twin stem mounted gear levers, Ti B17, Nitto moustache bars,  brass bell, unbranded dual pivot brakes, & carbon bar end brake levers as I like the brake position and the juxtaposition!  :)

On the way back from a jaunt into Oxford to Walton Street Cycles and go Outdoors (hence the sleeping bag). Lovely ride! and the bus shelter seemed like a good backdrop...
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #6442 on: 30 June, 2013, 12:27:14 am »
The fleet

Surly LHT - 58cm, 26 inch

I originally built this with drop bars, but replaced them with On One Mary's when I built the Spa Audax. Otherwise, Spa XD2 triple, 46-34-24 and 11-28 at the back. Currently wearing Schwalbe Marathon Racer 26x1.5 on Rigida Snyper. Front's a bit light with this set up, so may go back to midge bars or add a front rack at some point. Bars aren't quite as high as they look in this pic.

Spa Cycles Steel Audax - 58cm

I really like this bike, despite only having ridden 80 miles on it so far. Build is a mixture of stuff, but comes out at 22lbs before bagman, Pendle(?) and guards, 25lbs with all on. Wheels are Chrina on 105 with 28mm Ultremos. Front mech is Ultegra 6703 and rear is duraace 7900 with 7900 12=25 cassette.

Peugeot Aravis/Aneto fixed - first ride today

More details on the Fixed gallery sooner or later

« Reply #6443 on: 02 July, 2013, 11:20:22 pm »
My brother in law needed something to get about on while he is in UK, so cleaned up this bike and put a few bits on. It was bought for my son in 98 and after a bit of cleaning and adjustment it was ready to go, quite wish it was big enough for me!

Nigel

LEE

« Reply #6444 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:35:15 am »
My brother in law needed something to get about on while he is in UK, so cleaned up this bike and put a few bits on. It was bought for my son in 98 and after a bit of cleaning and adjustment it was ready to go, quite wish it was big enough for me!

Nigel

oooeerrrrr.. Another '90s MTB in "Global Touring Bike" guise.  Luv 'em.

Despite the move to full suss Halford bikes for £99 or, at the other extreme, people commuting on £2500 full sussers, without ever intending to go off-road, these '90's MTBs really were the ideal bike for most people.

They had braze-ons for mudguards and/or racks.  You could fit road tyres.  They were fairly long wheelbased for a nice stable ride with luggage, Many had really nice light CroMo frames and they were basically bombproof.

Worth seeking out the 531 and Tange CroMo bikes of this vintage imo.

Note. When I get around to fitting a front rack to my Saracen I'll post the finished "ever so butch" photos.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6445 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:39:33 am »
There is something so right about them.  That look of purposefulness and that nothing is going to be too much for the bike. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6446 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:55:26 am »
There is something so right about them.  That look of purposefulness and that nothing is going to be too much for the bike.

I was out on mine last night for the first time since about February; in fact I spent a happy 30 minutes on Monday evening taking the Marathon Winters off!

Sure, the bike (2004 Claud Butler Rock hard tail with sus forks) is noticeably heavier than the Ribble I've been riding for most of this year.  The Marathon Cross 26x1.75 boots don't help.  But it rolls along nicely enough, bounced over numerous potholes and splashed through a ford.  All with no bother and it was great fun!

« Reply #6447 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:04:11 pm »

This is my go to bike for school run with daughter, camping, shopping etc, again one from the 1990's. I run it on road tyres now.

Nigel

LEE

« Reply #6448 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:15:22 pm »
I think we need a new Gallery thread "MTB Road bike conversions".  Must have road tyres and/or rack and luggage.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6449 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:17:10 pm »
I think we need a new Gallery thread "MTB Road bike conversions".  Must have road tyres and/or rack and luggage.

I was just about to post the same thing <spooky>

edit: new thread here
Pen Pusher