Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2481725 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7300 on: 08 August, 2014, 07:31:38 pm »
1948 Percy Stallard 'Monthléry' with cheap North Road handlebars, 1980s Carradice Nelson Longflap, a Lion Bellworks bell and a very wide angle lens :o

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #7301 on: 08 August, 2014, 11:08:54 pm »
1948 Percy Stallard 'Monthléry' with cheap North Road handlebars, 1980s Carradice Nelson Longflap, a Lion Bellworks bell and a very wide angle lens :o

Cheap North Road Bars? How much and from where please? Thinking about trying them on Claud Butler.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7302 on: 09 August, 2014, 12:33:20 am »

Cheap North Road Bars? How much and from where please? Thinking about trying them on Claud Butler.

I have 3 pairs from different sources (they are great used down or up). They are Oxford North Road bars in aluminium. But it's a minefield out there! Just tried to find the ones I bought and from where - only to draw a blank ::-)

BECAUSE mine are only 530mm wide (which is why I chose those as opposed to all the wider stuff). They also came with a different product number on their attached label to the advertised version!

I definitely bought the first pair from http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk - but they are only listing the steel version now. Then I found them cheaper (£13 delivered?) elsewhere - but my memory fails me, sorry Moose57

Moose57

« Reply #7303 on: 09 August, 2014, 12:28:14 pm »
Ta :)

« Reply #7304 on: 09 August, 2014, 06:05:29 pm »
What are you using to mount the gear shifters on the bars - are those Kelly's?

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7305 on: 09 August, 2014, 07:05:01 pm »
What are you using to mount the gear shifters on the bars - are those Kelly's?

Velo Orange thumbshifter mounts from a really nice CTC bloke who has an eBay shop

veloduocycles

They take bar end shifters and downtube shifters (if used with the squared off bar end intermediate silver bit - or just file/grind down the downtube equivalents)

They come with shims for road and flat bars + are hinged so you don't have to slide them on and off the bars :)

« Reply #7306 on: 09 August, 2014, 08:11:33 pm »
Blue Meanie, my old faithful Orbit Tourer hitched to my latest acquisition for one of today's trips to the dump.  2 old PC towers into the recycling skip.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7307 on: 09 August, 2014, 08:19:07 pm »
Blue Meanie, my old faithful Orbit Tourer hitched to my latest acquisition for one of today's trips to the dump.  2 old PC towers into the recycling skip.

:thumbsup: I so want and am saving up for a Carry Freedom trailer. My local tip is 15 miles away over a big mountain - I have a lot of stuff I wish to take there.

« Reply #7308 on: 09 August, 2014, 09:49:35 pm »
Been looking at Thorn Audax mk3's for ages with them being my LBS it was good to be able to try before you buy.

Finished the build today with 10spd Tiagra etc and have test ridden it, so nice to ride, might need a shorter stem but need to ride it again to be sure.

« Reply #7309 on: 09 August, 2014, 10:16:21 pm »
Been looking at Thorn Audax mk3's for ages with them being my LBS it was good to be able to try before you buy.

Finished the build today with 10spd Tiagra etc and have test ridden it, so nice to ride, might need a shorter stem but need to ride it again to be sure.

Lovely looking bike...
instagram / twitter: @bluemcardle

« Reply #7310 on: 10 August, 2014, 09:17:30 am »
Velo Orange thumbshifter mounts from a really nice CTC bloke who has an eBay shop

veloduocycles

Thanks - will have to take a look; I'm pondering converting from D/Ts at the moment, and I gather Kelly's are hard to get hold of, so I'm always interested in alternatives...

« Reply #7311 on: 10 August, 2014, 11:35:09 am »
The Triban 3, with new r501 wheels/rubinos, and general audax kit, including DIY inner tube/duct tape handlebar shock aborbers... 

P1010647 by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7312 on: 10 August, 2014, 11:44:16 am »
Longstaff with new rack and Gilles Berthoud shiny 8) mudguards AND rubber SKS mudflaps, fore and aft :smug:

Flickr are playing silly buggers - clicking on the items below bring up the photos ::-)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #7313 on: 12 August, 2014, 05:32:53 pm »
The GT ZR2000 frame SpaceBadger kindly donated to my son all done up in touring mode, on our way to Holland.

« Reply #7314 on: 12 August, 2014, 10:21:46 pm »
The GT ZR2000 frame SpaceBadger kindly donated to my son all done up in touring mode, on our way to Holland.

So good to see someone getting a few more miles out of my first proper road frame from 1997!  :thumbsup:

It never made it further than Cumbria during my ownership. Bonne voyage  :)

Moose57

« Reply #7315 on: 16 August, 2014, 01:45:52 pm »

Butler with North Road Bars.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7316 on: 16 August, 2014, 03:27:38 pm »
n+1 finally finished and ready for some trail action

« Reply #7317 on: 16 August, 2014, 03:43:48 pm »
Where's it off too?
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7318 on: 16 August, 2014, 03:46:11 pm »
Where's it off too?
Just round a few local trails for now, mainly to make sure that everything's set up the way I want it, hence the addition of luggage.
All being well,  I'll be doing a couple of overnighters on the North York Moors next weekend.

I ordered some properly coloured velcro straps of 'tBay but they've not arrived yet, hence the occasional outbreak of green

« Reply #7319 on: 16 August, 2014, 03:55:04 pm »
Where's it off too?
Just round a few local trails for now, mainly to make sure that everything's set up the way I want it, hence the addition of luggage.
All being well,  I'll be doing a couple of overnighters on the North York Moors next weekend.

I ordered some properly coloured velcro straps of 'tBay but they've not arrived yet, hence the occasional outbreak of green

My eBay straps were a bit rubbish, not velcro, buckle/clip type. Very cheap webbing and flimsy buckles. Hope yours turn out better quality.

Also hope you have good weather too, it was terrible in the Berwyns this week. Extremely wet and windy at night. I may pop over again next weekend. Thinking of going to 1x10 with a 30t front and 42t range extender, that should get me up everything fully loaded. On the second day I was on the granny permanently going uphill on loose wet stuff. The wtb nineline tyres were great on it though.

Enjoy the shakedown, here's to better weather :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7320 on: 16 August, 2014, 04:07:39 pm »
The wtb nineline tyres were great on it though.
Oooh ... CRC are doing them for £16.99 each at the moment; given that my Nano Races are starting to wear I reckon that's rather fortuitous.

The main aim of the shakedown ride is to see if I can handle the fixed + flatties combo on proper rough stuff - initial impressions are good but that's been on a 20km each-way commute and whilst York's roads are pretty bad, they're not 'bridleway' bad (yet - the council seem to be trying their damnedest to make it happen, though).  If they don't work out, I'm planning to get a pair of ATAC MX8s (more foot support) and put the Saint flatties on Pugsley.

« Reply #7321 on: 16 August, 2014, 04:19:55 pm »
The wtb nineline tyres were great on it though.
Oooh ... CRC are doing them for £16.99 each at the moment; given that my Nano Races are starting to wear I reckon that's rather fortuitous.

The main aim of the shakedown ride is to see if I can handle the fixed + flatties combo on proper rough stuff - initial impressions are good but that's been on a 20km each-way commute and whilst York's roads are pretty bad, they're not 'bridleway' bad (yet - the council seem to be trying their damnedest to make it happen, though).  If they don't work out, I'm planning to get a pair of ATAC MX8s (more foot support) and put the Saint flatties on Pugsley.

£16.99, well spotted :thumbsup:

I was very impressed with them. They went over loose gravel, boulders (dry and slippy), tarmac, pine woodland and worked flawlessly. They grabbed well on wet cambers too. They didn't however work in 2ft deep peat bog, neither did my shoes, socks, shorts :facepalm:

I'm just off to get another pair.

I've just switched to flats too, but not riding fixed! I've stuck saints on and they were as grippy as spds, even on big downhill boulder sections. I never slipped off them once. Just got to remember to tilt my pedals when I jump and not do the spd lift ;D

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7322 on: 16 August, 2014, 04:42:01 pm »

Butler with North Road Bars.

:thumbsup: Looking good. Mind you, even 'ape hangers' would look great on that frame ;D

What are the hubs, rims and tyres please sir?

Edit: See the boots are Panaracer Paselas. Are the rims Halo Whiteline?

Moose57

« Reply #7323 on: 16 August, 2014, 05:55:26 pm »
The hubs have shimano on them, I can't remember the make of rims they has a label on them that read Xrims.
Someone made them for me and I didn't pay attention just liked the look. :-[

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7324 on: 16 August, 2014, 06:17:30 pm »
Moose57 now that looks very nice.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit