Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2476230 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2300 on: 08 November, 2009, 09:18:49 pm »
So I have !
Aero but not dynamic

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #2301 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:07:54 pm »
Aye, quite "reasonably speedy" enough, thankyouverymuch, IIRC from the Saltire 200 a couple of weeks ago. Will you be showing us how "Nippy" it is next Saturday?  ;)

Very nice build btw.  :thumbsup:

IIRC I spent most of the Saltire 200 trying to hang on the back of the group  ::-). Yes, I'll be out for the 'Nippy' next weekend (as long as it is not a tropical downpour  :(  ) and thanks  :)

I was the strong weak silent type (who didn't speak to you), but I was riding an orange Dave Yates.  You passed me several times, I'm sure.

That was because I took an 'independent route' on at least 3 occasions on that ride  :-[  I have now puchased an up to date gps and spent the last couple of weeks learning how to use it. Hoping I'll stay on route a bit better now.

« Reply #2302 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:10:06 pm »

my most elegant looker, '62 claud butler track bike

winter bike, now the proud owner of a black brooks

summer bike

hard-tailed mountain bike, doesn't get the same amount of attention as the others
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #2303 on: 09 November, 2009, 12:08:18 am »
Having posted my audax bike here are rest of the stable.

Orbea Onix - The summer 'best bike'.

Trek XO - 'cross bike, currently doing duty on the turbo trainer.

Litespeed Occoee - Titanium hardtail mountain bike - the second lightest bike after the Orbea

Maverick ML7/5 - full suspension mountain bike and the source of my username.

« Reply #2304 on: 09 November, 2009, 06:00:53 am »
Now that is a stable that covers all most every aspect  ;D

Chris N

« Reply #2305 on: 09 November, 2009, 08:52:05 am »

Maverick ML7/5 - full suspension mountain bike and the source of my username.

That's lovely.  Looks much better with the single crown forks. :thumbsup:

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #2306 on: 09 November, 2009, 10:20:38 am »

That's lovely.  Looks much better with the single crown forks. :thumbsup:

Thank you, the bike with the biggest grin factor  ;D . However, the forks do have an alarming tendency to dive and wander when pushing hard (berms can be very exciting  :o ). I've been thinking about replacing them with some Fox Float 32 for a while.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #2307 on: 09 November, 2009, 10:45:09 am »
rest of the stable.

And what a stable!  That full bouncer is an ell of a machine! but I'll take the Litespeed please.

« Reply #2308 on: 09 November, 2009, 12:46:46 pm »
I used to ride with identical twins in the MC&AC, their bikes were the only way I could tell them apart
How do you know they didn't swap bikes sometimes?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2309 on: 09 November, 2009, 11:31:22 pm »
My new winter bike:

It's an aluminium Trek Pilot, frame size 54cm.  Frame, forks and stem were courtesy of Gene Hunt of this forum, saddle from the classifieds on Cycle Chat, new front and rear mech and mudguards.  Everything else was from my extensive spares collection.

For an aluminium frame, it rides very smoothly.  It's early days yet, but so far I'm very pleased with it.

« Reply #2310 on: 10 November, 2009, 11:07:25 am »
Looking good.

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #2311 on: 14 November, 2009, 08:23:11 pm »
My new winter bike:

It's an aluminium Trek Pilot, frame size 54cm.  Frame, forks and stem were courtesy of Gene Hunt of this forum, saddle from the classifieds on Cycle Chat, new front and rear mech and mudguards.  Everything else was from my extensive spares collection.

For an aluminium frame, it rides very smoothly.  It's early days yet, but so far I'm very pleased with it.

Almost snap. My Pilot set up for winter with Crud mudguards. My Pilots 3 years old now and is still a lovely bike to ride, comfortable to do miles on and as fast as many I ride with. Frame is so light as well. You will enjoy many happy miles on it.

« Reply #2312 on: 14 November, 2009, 09:05:41 pm »
Don't quite understand how but I've suddenly got back to one for every day of the week...latest:

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2313 on: 14 November, 2009, 09:52:51 pm »
What's the story? The bike looks very 80's, but brand new. Can't make out the brand/model either.

All the kit looks new too. Odd.

Finally, what does the graffiti say? I've been noticing some interesting (political) graffiti recently - the kind of stuff I haven't seen for 20+ years (like the bike), and I am just curious.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2314 on: 15 November, 2009, 06:24:13 pm »
Jamis Exile 1989/90. To all intents and purposes it IS new! Shimano 400LX and DiaCompe XCE. "Spectre" stem and saddle. "WonderBar Triple Splined" 'bars. Ritchey grips. Ritchey MegaBite tyres.

Claimed 50 miles from new (up until last Tuesday!) - which appears entirely credible.

Graffiti incls " The End Is Extremely F***ing Nigh", which I think has a nice sophisticated touch!

cpjmathieson

« Reply #2315 on: 15 November, 2009, 07:00:18 pm »
My Ridgeback speed '08 Hybrid

My new road bike Fuji Newest 1.0 '09

Zoidburg

« Reply #2316 on: 15 November, 2009, 07:32:52 pm »
What's the story? The bike looks very 80's, but brand new. Can't make out the brand/model either.

All the kit looks new too. Odd.

Finally, what does the graffiti say? I've been noticing some interesting (political) graffiti recently - the kind of stuff I haven't seen for 20+ years (like the bike), and I am just curious.
We get retro MTBs like that donated to the recycling project, clean the dust and the greasy fudge off them and you realise it's an unused bike.

I call them "shame" bikes - people bought them back in the 80/90s when MTBs were the trendy new keep fit thing like jogging/yoga/spinning/boxercise etc etc

Then they give up on the keep fit kick after a month and the bike gets hidden in the shed along with the shame at having given up.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2317 on: 15 November, 2009, 09:23:23 pm »
Like "exercise bikes" used as an expensive clothes horse.  ;D

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2318 on: 15 November, 2009, 09:58:56 pm »
Jamis Exile 1989/90. To all intents and purposes it IS new! Shimano 400LX and DiaCompe XCE. "Spectre" stem and saddle. "WonderBar Triple Splined" 'bars. Ritchey grips. Ritchey MegaBite tyres.

Claimed 50 miles from new (up until last Tuesday!) - which appears entirely credible.

Are they biopace rings?

What's it like to ride?
Graffiti incls " The End Is Extremely F***ing Nigh", which I think has a nice sophisticated touch!

Nice one. I do wonder, though, that if I really thought that the end was extremely f***ing nigh, would I waste the time it would take to paint that somewhere, or would I just get on and do those things that I really wanted to do?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2319 on: 16 November, 2009, 07:43:14 am »
VeloYellow's Ribble (on an Australian Audax 200 last Saturday).  This is the bike he rode on PBP2007.

and his new Llewellyn which got its first major outing at LEL - this is at Eskdalemuir and yes, he is putting on sunscreen!  Force of habit or optimism?

Edit: I apologise for the inclusion of a person in the pictures!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2320 on: 16 November, 2009, 08:06:39 am »
I like the avant garde time-trial arrangement on the handlebars on the top pic.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #2321 on: 16 November, 2009, 08:19:57 am »
 :) oops - the remains of a bench seat - rural councils need more funding!

« Reply #2322 on: 16 November, 2009, 08:24:46 am »
Tis the spring on the front that does it for me.  Could I get a carbon one ?

« Reply #2323 on: 16 November, 2009, 08:27:32 am »
with or without cutout horse?

« Reply #2324 on: 16 November, 2009, 10:46:35 am »

Are they biopace rings?

What's it like to ride?

Nice one. I do wonder, though, that if I really thought that the end was extremely f***ing nigh, would I waste the time it would take to paint that somewhere, or would I just get on and do those things that I really wanted to do?

Yes, Biopace. It rides very nicely - a bit long in the top for me with the 145mm stem - swopped it for a 100 tho' I've not tried it yet.

The perfect spelling of the graffiti caught my attention!