Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2476455 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2450 on: 25 December, 2009, 08:19:01 pm »
Which members own those bikes?  :P
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2451 on: 25 December, 2009, 08:26:32 pm »
And will they lend them out for rides?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2452 on: 25 December, 2009, 08:38:18 pm »
Inflatable women.

If you look carefully the one on the left has the schrader valve where her navel should be . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2453 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:49:13 am »
Clopper is a bit slack....  Probably.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2454 on: 28 December, 2009, 01:41:32 pm »
Thanks to my parents and their parents, I am pleased to present my new bike.

Welcome... "The Beast"

The Beast is a Decathlon b'Twin Riverside 05, £359. I have transferred my Brooks B17 and added 700x40c Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres to replace the knock-off marathons that came as stock. I have put on some Wellgo SPD-style pedals that were in the parts box here at Mission Control, however I am struggling to clip in - I will probably change to the reliable Shimanos that I have on another bike.

Initial impressions are that acceleration is nil and climbing is slow, but cruising is easy and the bike is very comfy. I am looking forward to using the panniers not a rucksack.

The bike seems like brilliant value. Deore drivetrain including the rear hub. Shimano dynohub on the front wheel and dyno lights with a standlight on the rear. Deore v-brakes, they feel like shit compared to my hydraulic Hope and thoroughly inadequate to stop a steed of this weight but Emily, who is used to v-brakes, rated their performance as 'pretty good'.

I think that I am going to rotate the bars down by one notch, other than that, its all good. I just have to pretend that I am driving an oil tanker and it will be fine!

The biggest problem is the bikes sheer size and weight make it nearly impossible for me to carry up the 5 floors of tight winding staircase to our flat.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2455 on: 28 December, 2009, 01:59:47 pm »
If the V-brakes are mushy, loosen the pad fixing nuts right off and apply the brake gently while positioning the pads (as high as possible on the rim for new pads, since they creep down as they wear).  These pads rarely need toe-in, and making them hit the rim square-on really improves the feel of the brake.  Personally, I think it's hard to improve on yer basic Shimano V-brake.

I think you may also have a 90 degree noodle on the front - toss it out and replace it with the proper British-spec 135 degree noodle for a smooth "S" bend in the cable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jacomus

« Reply #2456 on: 28 December, 2009, 02:26:48 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions about setting the pads - luckily I had already done this and done it when setting up Emily's bike (I have done it this way for years, ignoring Sheldon's advice regarding toe in).

I'm just whining because everything seems crap compared to my Hope.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2457 on: 28 December, 2009, 06:35:14 pm »
Superstoker cringed when he saw the saddle angle. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #2458 on: 28 December, 2009, 06:41:37 pm »

AKA the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E_PnWC8n3Go&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/E_PnWC8n3Go&rel=1</a> angle.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Jacomus

« Reply #2459 on: 28 December, 2009, 06:42:54 pm »

It looks extreme to me too, but some people just seem to have their Brooks like that with absolutely no ill effects.  :-\

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2460 on: 29 December, 2009, 03:32:54 pm »
 A surprise n+1. Ideal for desktop cycling.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2461 on: 30 December, 2009, 05:04:09 am »
^ ^ ^ ^

Is that one from Oxfam or similar made from recycled cans and stuff?  (I  thought about getting one for VeloYellow)
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

David Martin

« Reply #2462 on: 30 December, 2009, 01:46:41 pm »
^ ^ ^ ^

Is that one from Oxfam or similar made from recycled cans and stuff?  (I  thought about getting one for VeloYellow)

definitely made of recycled something or other. Quite cute.

..d

fuzzy

« Reply #2463 on: 31 December, 2009, 07:12:19 pm »
Stig has had his cassettectomy. First post surgery photo-

Mor photos will follow after the odd Nip/ Tuck.

The wheel is a Mach 1 Omega. Never heard of them myself. Made in France. For the long suffering out there, a Continental tyre (can't remember the model) literally fell off the rim when I fitted it. I had to phone Zipperhead for wheel size advice as the rim label is marked 622. i thought I had been sold a smaller rim than I wanted but no. A Continental friendly rim?

Zoidburg

« Reply #2464 on: 31 December, 2009, 07:21:25 pm »
The original chainset worked then?

« Reply #2465 on: 31 December, 2009, 07:39:06 pm »
You got the front brake on the left ? Cool

fuzzy

« Reply #2466 on: 31 December, 2009, 07:43:03 pm »

Yes it did. 42 swapped to the outside of the spider and the chainring bolts backed up with washers (filed to get a flat spot to fit). The chainline looks spot on (at first glance).

Front brake is on the right- for now. I have a set or aero levers in the parts bin, waiting for me to inherit enough funds for new tape and cables, at which stage I may go continental.

« Reply #2467 on: 31 December, 2009, 07:48:54 pm »
I didn't notice the black cable at first !!!  (and I didn't even look for a rear brake !!!) so assumed the light coloured cable was for the front !

fuzzy

« Reply #2468 on: 31 December, 2009, 07:52:59 pm »
I didn't notice the black cable at first !!!  (and I didn't even look for a rear brake !!!) so assumed the light coloured cable was for the front !

I are a wuss and need a rear brake- at least until I have learned to ride fixed (where is the impending pain and injury smiley?)

Zoidburg

« Reply #2469 on: 31 December, 2009, 08:14:14 pm »

Yes it did. 42 swapped to the outside of the spider and the chainring bolts backed up with washers (filed to get a flat spot to fit). The chainline looks spot on (at first glance).

Front brake is on the right- for now. I have a set or aero levers in the parts bin, waiting for me to inherit enough funds for new tape and cables, at which stage I may go continental.
If you don't need the outer ring anymore you can cut the tabs out and make them fit instead of the washer stack, get it right and they are very neat, hardly noticable.

rogerzilla

« Reply #2470 on: 01 January, 2010, 11:14:03 am »
Some dirty pictures to dispel the OCD myths, and because it now has a V-brake rather than the disc.  The Thomson sticker on the RH seatstay isn't for show, but because I sometimes catch it with my heel and the paint was getting rubbed off.

« Reply #2471 on: 01 January, 2010, 11:54:36 am »
Some dirty pictures to dispel the OCD myths,

:o :o :o :o :o
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

« Reply #2472 on: 01 January, 2010, 11:57:22 am »
It's OK...there are some systematic, hydromatic, er...laundromatic shots coming up in an adjacent thread...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2473 on: 01 January, 2010, 06:12:51 pm »
Call that dirty?  Pah!  I'll post some of my Orbit that'll make your hair curl! :o
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #2474 on: 01 January, 2010, 07:13:00 pm »
No, this is dirty.. after a fashion