Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2476475 times)

LEE

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3775 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:44:41 am »
I have the same setup, it's no less convenient than bar-end shifters or down-tube shifter, more so if you ride on the bar tops (which I do in relaxed touring mode).

ed_o_brain

« Reply #3776 on: 18 October, 2010, 11:05:31 am »
What's the thinking behind the mounting of the front brakes? (I see it seems standard on these bikes)

LEE

« Reply #3777 on: 18 October, 2010, 11:16:21 am »
What's the thinking behind the mounting of the front brakes? (I see it seems standard on these bikes)

It makes the cable run a bit more elegant/efficient (Brakes are designed to have the front-brake operated by the left hand, not the right as in UK) and, in my non-technical opinion, it seems to make sense to have the braking force supported by the forkcrown rather than being torn away from it (as per the rear brake). 

I solved the "elegance" issue by using Avid Ultimate V-Brakes.  You can swap the cable entry point from right to left.

« Reply #3778 on: 24 October, 2010, 11:44:17 am »
My 2008 Giant Bowery, photo taken last Thursday at Shirehampton station before boarding a train to Salisbury.
Rode back to Bristol the following day ( 96km - longest distance I've cycled on Single Speed ! )
Luggage used was a Carradice SQR bag and a Edinburgh Bar-bag.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3779 on: 24 October, 2010, 02:07:42 pm »
Very nice bike, and a good ride too!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

gordon taylor

« Reply #3780 on: 24 October, 2010, 04:22:59 pm »
This is Mrs Gordy's new commuter - a small Giant Seek Zero with 8 speed Alfine and hydraulic discs. Discounted to £650 by the Edinburgh Cycle coop - I reckon it's a bargain and she's swooning over it.

I've swapped the front wheel for one with a SON dynohub - the non-matching rims and spokes would drive me nuts, but Mrs G never noticed and says I've to leave the rear wheel as it is.

The whole bike is beautifully finished, with gold anodised bits. The narrow rack isn't on purpose, it is just one that's been in the garage for ages. The bike came with 32mm Maxxis Detonator tyres and they've been changed for 25mm Marathon Plus.

corshamjim

« Reply #3781 on: 24 October, 2010, 04:34:28 pm »
I love the look of Giant's Seek 0.  I wasn't sure it would take rack and guards - I'm glad you showed it can!  Mrs Gordy is a lucky lass indeed.

gordon taylor

« Reply #3782 on: 24 October, 2010, 04:43:22 pm »
I love the look of Giant's Seek 0.  I wasn't sure it would take rack and guards - I'm glad you showed it can!  Mrs Gordy is a lucky lass indeed.

I actually half-fitted the rear rack using p-clips and was disgusted with the lack of eyelets... when I discovered that those big black bolts which join the frame and that gold dropout(?) have 5mm threads inside.  ::-)

The front mudguard stay (lower left) needs a lot of bending to get round the caliper. I didn't do a very neat job with it and might have another go sometime.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3783 on: 24 October, 2010, 05:42:24 pm »
Looks nice, but what is that rack and what is the idea of it being so narrow? I know you say it's "not on purpose" but presumably there is a purpose to the narrowness. I can't really see what, though.

« Reply #3784 on: 24 October, 2010, 06:30:26 pm »
Looks nice, but what is that rack and what is the idea of it being so narrow? I know you say it's "not on purpose" but presumably there is a purpose to the narrowness. I can't really see what, though.

If a rack is only used to carry panniers, then it doesn't need to be any wider, and keeps the mass nearer to the centreline of the bike, which keeps the bike upright more easily.
Actually, it is rocket science.

gordon taylor

« Reply #3785 on: 24 October, 2010, 06:48:25 pm »
I bought the rack from the LBS when I was trying to get two panners between the wheels on my trike. It never worked for that. As Tim says, it's a rack for panniers only.

Zoidburg

« Reply #3786 on: 24 October, 2010, 06:51:39 pm »
I can see it being useful with a MTB or roughstuff/expedition tourer, it kicks the bottom of pannier up away from the ground and rocks and stuff.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3787 on: 24 October, 2010, 07:28:07 pm »
That's a very purposeful looking bike. All business.

What's the thinking behind the bolt up rear? Do they make the same frame with disraeli gears?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #3788 on: 24 October, 2010, 07:46:54 pm »
That Giant Seek Zero is one of the nicest looking new bikes I've seen in a long time. Definitely on my want list!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

gordon taylor

« Reply #3789 on: 24 October, 2010, 07:47:44 pm »

What's the thinking behind the bolt up rear? Do they make the same frame with disraeli gears?

I don't know - the bike has an eccentric BB, so I suppose a different design at the back could be used for a Rolhoff. I thought initially the frame might split to allow a belt drive, but it doesn't.

It looks amazing (IMHO) in comparison to a normal welded-up rear end.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3790 on: 29 October, 2010, 08:53:57 pm »

That's me on my latest acquisition. Not going anywhere yet, just sitting on it outside New Volio Towers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

border-rider

« Reply #3791 on: 29 October, 2010, 08:58:50 pm »
You looked like a natural.  Couldn't ride it, but looked the part, totally :)

I look forward to the ride reports

« Reply #3792 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:00:05 pm »
You know those don't go round corners, don't you?

;)

Looks nice from what can be seen.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3793 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:06:43 pm »
First ride along the seafront cycle path? :demon:
Getting there...

« Reply #3794 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:07:22 pm »
Good Lord!  :o ;D

corshamjim

« Reply #3795 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:48:54 pm »
The thing I'd love about a trike like that is simply being able to stop and admire the view without toppling over sideways.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3796 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:56:07 pm »
But I'm not at all sure that would make up for toppling over sideways and 'admiring the view' when I didn't want to.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3797 on: 29 October, 2010, 11:26:45 pm »
Those 'bars look a bit too narrow! What are they, 38cm?

border-rider

« Reply #3798 on: 30 October, 2010, 09:17:34 am »
Those 'bars look a bit too narrow! What are they, 38cm?

The camera has made them look a bit narrower than they are, and the whole thing look longer

They are pretty narrow, though, yes. I could ride them without a problem but was intending to change them.  In fact there were a load of changes I was going to make - lower gears, bar-end-shifters - but never got round to. 

rdaviesb

« Reply #3799 on: 30 October, 2010, 11:32:35 am »
My good lady's Cooper, which we've just made even more retro with the addition of "proper" brake levers. The chainguard will change soon. Cooper Bikes are going to send us one of their new spozzy metal guards.

My Enigma, at the top of Anglezarke, yesterday. I'd forgotten how good a climb it is. Definitely a candidate for a YACF ride, but perhaps not when its blowing a gale (I could hardly stand up in the crosswind)